Author Topic: What materials to use for minor fixing of Sunova?  (Read 4276 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What materials to use for minor fixing of Sunova?
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:44:28 AM »
I managed to whack a rail and chipped a small piece of transparent outer layer. What should I use for fixing it?

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What materials to use for minor fixing of Sunova?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 12:51:55 PM »
If the board is water-tight, you don't have to do anything.  Maybe add some rail tape.
If the board is not water-tight, I typically use epoxy, add fiberglass for strength.  Depending on the quality of the epoxy, it will dry clear or yellow over time (if no uv stabilizer).
If there is a hole deeper than a pea, I use gorilla glue as foam to fill.
I have also used a product called Marine-tex that comes in white or gray.
Sunova makes some good board repair videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhqqkGOtoZI
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 02:38:57 PM »
Thank you sflinux,  it's pretty small surface chip that didn't go through glass or even shuttered the rail. But it still damaged the back Sunova sticker laminated under topcoat. I'm planning to put a rail tape but  this spot is close to the nose so I'm not sure if I want to put the tape that much forward, perhaps I might need to buy an extra piece. Anyway I'm picky and want to patch this area even I'm gonna apply the tape to make sure that even the tape come off at some point it's not gonna pull the .   

My understanding that Solarez for epoxy is safe for Sunova boards, right?

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 02:59:47 PM »
Solarez for epoxy will be fine.  It may get a yellow hue over time.
If using epoxy, you could get black dye (for resin), to restore the look the board once had with the sticker.
Or the poor man's method would be to use a permanent marker under the epoxy (A sharpie pen is not uv stable, not recommended).
I like to use quality painter's tape so that you only apply to the areas that you actually want to. 
You can apply painter's tape to areas when fine sanding to avoid hitting the areas that don't need to be sanded.
I like to use a variable speed random orbital sander and start with 150 grit (to remove bumps), then follow to 220 (to smooth it out), then finish with foam sanding by hand.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:07:17 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 07:27:26 AM »
Thinking about it some more, I'd start off by touching up with black spray paint. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:29:11 AM by sflinux »

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »
That looks like general wear and tear that I would just leave as-is.  I like when my boards get the look of a worn battle-ax, but respect your desire to be meticulous.

While I can't tell 100% from the picture that there's no penetration into the core of the board, your description seems to say that.  Easiest way to check is to seal it off with your lips and see if you can suck anything in--you'll get an unmistakable taste of saltwater & chemical resin if there is--not to mention you'll be able to detect even an invisible pinhole.

If there's not a leak, no need to mess with glass, etc.  Get some appliance epoxy spray paint, mask and spray.  I use that over most of my repairs--quick, easy and durable. And since it comes only in black, white, silver and almond, you've got a match.

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »
If only cosmetic, I use Testors paint (remember that? from building model cars ...)  It's enamel, good variety of colors - comes in gloss or flat. I'd just mask it off with blue masking tape, the kind that's designed for a clean sharp edge, and use an appropriately small brush. 

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 07:04:38 PM »
If only cosmetic, I use Testors paint (remember that? from building model cars ...)  It's enamel, good variety of colors - comes in gloss or flat. I'd just mask it off with blue masking tape, the kind that's designed for a clean sharp edge, and use an appropriately small brush.

I think this is what I'm going with. Do I need to splay with any kind of  automotive clear coat after?  I was thinking something like that : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043B7UQY/?coliid=I6451435HG8M7&colid=29N06Y3IZYBGN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
I personally would stop at the paint. It provides an adequate protective layer by itself and takes care of the looks dept.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SUPguru

• Waikiki Status
  • Somewhere in Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 01:28:35 PM »
I used nail polish for small chips and permanent markers   ;D
Fanatic Allwave 9'5 x 32.25, 170lt
Sunova Magic 9'5 x 32, 142lt
Naish Mana GT 8'5 x 30.50, 132lt

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 05:31:10 PM »
I used suggested model paint and automotive clear coat I had as i wanted to restore integrity of outer coat. Final result is not spectacular but I can live with it lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal