Author Topic: Jeremy Riggs flat water foil pop up  (Read 10102 times)

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jeremy Riggs flat water foil pop up
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 02:48:28 PM »
Is it doable on a 5'2" 90L wing foil board? Or do I need something bigger

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 04:46:55 PM »
Longer and narrower is what I hear all the downwind guys say.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 08:03:39 PM »
After not paddling for a year I hopped on a 6'4" Kalama with a Maliko 200 and almost did it. (Hit 160bpm!)3 other people made it happen that day, two of whom never paddle but are in great shape and good watermen.

The board shape definitely makes it easier. 23" wide is way less drag and the chines drop even more as you start to lift. More of you could do it than you think with the right gear.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 11:07:08 PM »
Austin Kalama was out at Ka'a today on a long skinny board Dave made that must be close to eight feet long, and probably 23' wide. Of course, he was ripping on it, the guy can foil surf a fence post, but he was prone foiling, and most of the waves (fairly weenie waves today) he got into with just a few strokes that looked downright lackadaisical. I think he could pop that thing up on flat water with just a couple of strokes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 01:27:26 AM »
Is this just a means to an end, just a way to practice getting up on foil, or is there a chance that this could develop into a sport / activity all of it's own? We've already seen pump/surf racing, and this doesn't need a wave chip in, so opens up any patch of flat water for foiling...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Guidewater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 10:35:34 AM »
I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on winging on one of these boards - the Kalama downwind boards that is.  I'm highly intrigued by these boards, but I'd love for them to work equally as well for winging.  I know it's possible.  I'm only concerned with the length.  I was just getting ready to drop down to the mid 5 foot range with a new board.  Just trying to avoid two new boards!!! :D

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 08:30:12 PM »
Is this just a means to an end, just a way to practice getting up on foil

This is meant as a drill to get you up when downwinding. It's hard to catch the wind swell but once up you can surf for miles. The better you are at this, the more waves you catch.

As to flat water, I'd recommend you just learn to dock start. Probably easier, smaller beer, and way better pumping once you're up. SUPs aren't great to pump for long on flatwater compared to a tiny board.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 08:56:16 AM »
Califoilia, you could definitely do it. There are people with half your SUP foil experience and ability doing it. I should probably at least try it to improve my wave-catching percentage.
Wow, that's amazing, didn't know that (and thanks for the boost of confidence), if I'm ever in his neck of the woods, I'll definitely look him up for a lesson. Because yeah as you say, if nothing else it would only improve my wave-catching ability, and any possible flat-water liftoff would just be a nice icing on the cake.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 09:42:12 AM »
Califoilia, you could definitely do it. There are people with half your SUP foil experience and ability doing it. I should probably at least try it to improve my wave-catching percentage.
Wow, that's amazing, didn't know that (and thanks for the boost of confidence), if I'm ever in his neck of the woods, I'll definitely look him up for a lesson. Because yeah as you say, if nothing else it would only improve my wave-catching ability, and any possible flat-water liftoff would just be a nice icing on the cake.

You don't need a lesson. Just do as he says in the videos.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »
Badger is right, the videos show you the techniques. Jeremy isn't charging for the Thurday "classes", and they've grown to be about 20 people. I think most of them are interested in both downwinding and just catching more waves surfing. If you can do a flat water pop up there probably isn't a wave too small to catch. I watched the videos, haven't done the "class" (yet) but I'm headed to the harbor this morning to give it a shot.

Oops, it's Tuesday, not Thursday. Oh well, I'm headed to Ka'a to surf. We were supposed to have wind today but the new forecast says tomorrow. This is starting to feel like the sign in the bar that never changes: Free beer tomorrow". I did have a nice, but short session yesterday in super-flukey light wind at Ka'a. The gusts were fine for getting up with the 6M CWC and my 1150, but in between there was nada, and my 1150 in a wave is a ridiculous handful. After a rough morning session missing many more waves than I caught I wasn't in good shape for an exhausting session and quit after probably just a half hour of slogging and overfoiling
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:57:15 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 10:56:29 AM »
Is this just a means to an end, just a way to practice getting up on foil

This is meant as a drill to get you up when downwinding. It's hard to catch the wind swell but once up you can surf for miles. The better you are at this, the more waves you catch.

As to flat water, I'd recommend you just learn to dock start. Probably easier, smaller beer, and way better pumping once you're up. SUPs aren't great to pump for long on flatwater compared to a tiny board.

Sure, I get the downwinding thing. Was just posing the question whether there is any merit to this being an activity in its own right. Dock starting may have a smaller board but this does have a paddle (and only needs that) and I've heard James Casey say he prefers a longer board for DW'ing as it allows him to drive the foil harder. I can't pretend to understand why or how, but it's clearly not a problem. The flexibility of just needing a paddle, combined with wake thieving could allow you to travel quite a long way - a sort of flat water foil touring...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 05:58:11 PM »
Dave Kalama is making some ridiculously long boards for downwinding, clearly experimenting with the extreme case. they look to be excellent for a different style of prone surfing as well, though the required technique seems more biased towards sweeping turns and long slow pumps--which is probably obvious. But he's having fun with them, which is all any of this stuff is about.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »
Solent, I totally get the idea now. I was thinking of just flat water in a specific spot (around a dock.) I see your talking about paddling up and wake thieving. That sounds fun (tiring but fun!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal