Author Topic: Jeremy Riggs flat water foil pop up  (Read 10097 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jeremy Riggs flat water foil pop up
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:06:13 AM »
In the pyramid of learning how to lift on a foil, winging is probably the easiest, catching a breaking wave with a paddle-- a bit more difficult, catching an open ocean swell with a paddle-- really challenging, and finally popping up on flat water with a paddle is a considerable task, which once conquered, enables all the lower challenges.  In this video Jeremy Riggs breaks it down.  After coaching one of the  females, who had experience in all the lower categories, she popped up on the flats.  The whole beach erupted in cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwE5KNyu_4g

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jeremy Riggs flat water foil pop up
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
Thanks Bill.. What a great video.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 08:30:02 PM »
There were two more videos posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Lu94LLZMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdpewKTwUg

Seems like the formula from the videos is short mast, big wing, big paddle and lots of skill...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:49:01 PM »
super impressive!  I literally can't believe how easy it seems watching Jeremy get out of the water in two paddle strokes.  It is so so so not easy.

Yet another mystery gofoil wing and tail combination that can't be found for sale and has no information or specifications anywhere.  Seriously, do they even want to sell this stuff?  I guess its more like a club that makes gear for Alex's buddies.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 09:26:56 PM »
Yeah... Alex said in another post with dockstarts that it is a new prototype GT2200 that is going into production.  Interestingly I was told that Dave Kalama is now using a 115 sq inch blade on his paddle for DW... seems like with foiling people are going back to big blades (or even bigger than we used to use!)   

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 01:36:22 AM »
super impressive!  I literally can't believe how easy it seems watching Jeremy get out of the water in two paddle strokes.  It is so so so not easy.

Yeah,not easy at all.
I have tried it a few times,105l Indiana Sup and 1900 Takuma LOL.
Nothing...not even close :)

I will keep trying though,seems to be all about up-forward movement and not boardspeed.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 11:03:40 AM »
that tip on "scootching" forward at the critical moment lit a light bulb for me.  Almost makes me want to go out and try again, but then I remember how many times I tried flatwater starts without even a hint of lift engaging. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »
Tomoko was on a Maliko 280.

I found that the Maliko 280 would take off on almost NOTHING this summer in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  I would be out foiling with NO ONE at great breaks because it was "Too small to surf."   

I probably weigh +60 lbs. more than her but this is what I was able to get up on.  Essentially a boat wake.  These videos make me wonder IF the flat water would have less turbulence but therefore require a touch more technique. 

@JonDrums - I don't think you have tried a truly enormous wing.  The M280 has much more lift than the M200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSFNqxkfGGY

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 07:41:36 PM »
Tomoko was on a Maliko 280.

I found that the Maliko 280 would take off on almost NOTHING this summer in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  I would be out foiling with NO ONE at great breaks because it was "Too small to surf."   

I probably weigh +60 lbs. more than her but this is what I was able to get up on.  Essentially a boat wake.  These videos make me wonder IF the flat water would have less turbulence but therefore require a touch more technique. 

@JonDrums - I don't think you have tried a truly enormous wing.  The M280 has much more lift than the M200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSFNqxkfGGY

So these monster sized foils might not be ideal once you're up but learning the move on them is constructive so that you've got the jump on it when you get a open ocean swell or a breaking wave to help.  This video is with your 280?  Looks like you're getting close.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:43:40 PM by headmount »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
Re: big paddles. They aren’t really paddling much in a downwind run so less worrying about shoulders.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 08:34:48 PM »
Re: big paddles. They aren’t really paddling much in a downwind run so less worrying about shoulders.
Wow.  i would think the opposite.  Sudden sprints from 'off-the-line' (to get lifted) are where I would think one is most vulnerable to blowing a gasket.    It's the burst that kills the bursa.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
Actually, it's mostly about the technique going to shit. If you paddle deliberately and set it well then a little blade is all you need to get power. If you flail, then you need big. I'd never claim Dave is flailing other than in relative terms, but it's damned hard to set the blade on a foil, especially when it's bobbing around.

The 280 is probably the easiest foil around to get up on, it's what I used to learn to wing foil. Easy money. But yeah, once you're up they sure don't go very fast. It's hardly in the "exclusive" category, and it looked like Tomo's unobtanium wing wasn't nearly as good--Jeremy had to work a lot harder to get up with it, and Tomoko (yeah, that's confusing) couldn't get up with it at all, She got up when she switched to the 280. It's old-school GoFoil. You might have a hard time finding one because they're so obsolete. Just find a fat old guy that started off with GoFoil in the dark ages and he'll have one gathering dust. That's how Beasho got his.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:40:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 07:30:57 PM »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 08:30:51 AM »
Some new drills for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCu1hG-ioc
As per Clint, "A man's got to know his limitations", and I don't anticipate ever being able to accomplish that; but have to say that it's a real pleasure watching guys with perfect paddle technique like that regardless of discipline. Jeremy is one of very best at it, whom I never get tired of watching his abilities...amazing. Thanks for the video, at least I know now what I should be doing if I had the "chew gum and walk at the same time" coordination these guy have to do it. :o ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 02:38:30 PM »
Actually, Jeremy's weekly clinic has some folks getting up in flatwater and pumping away who I would never have figured could do it. Tomoko and Jeremy have both been encouraging me to come, but I haven't done anything but watch. It's remarkable how Jeremy has broken what seems to be an impossible thing for anything but super athletes and turned it into something a lot of people can do. Califoilia, you could definitely do it. There are people with half your SUP foil experience and ability doing it. I should probably at least try it to improve my wave-catching percentage.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal