Author Topic: The foil drive as an Efoil  (Read 4102 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The foil drive as an Efoil
« on: September 07, 2021, 04:21:10 PM »
Looks like this thing has even more potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp6-l2-LZOM

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The foil drive as an Efoil
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
Interesting, though there will be several major problems using this device in this way. First, the controller is going to die quickly. Even with a little motor like this, the controller needs to dissipate a fair amount of heat, and since it's inside a sealed box, there isn't any way it can. They are likely relying on a substantial heat sink to protect the controller, and that will work for intermittent use, where the heat is limited and has time to be radiated. With continuous use it will get hot. Probably it won't burn up, but the lifespan will be short. Most efoils water-cool the controller in some fashion, or use a big external heat sink.

Another issue is the motor. The design requirements for continuous use at full power are quite different from short bursts. Again, it won't just die, but it won't last. At the very least it would need good thrust bearings.

Of course, the folks that built these know all that as well as anyone. That's why they explicitly state it shouldn't be done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:37:54 AM »
I think that's backwards. Using an efoil as assist makes more sense. Lifts pro board is already pretty light (for an efoil) if they offered an optional battery that was 1/2 the weight and run time along with a mast with a mid mounted motor, that would be a pretty sweet high end modular option. Don't think you could have a different smaller and lighter motor and still have it work with the existing setup tho. For a few extra pounds maybe the full power with shorter run time is worth it. Expensive but hope this is a direction someones developing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
I think that's backwards. Using an efoil as assist makes more sense. Lifts pro board is already pretty light (for an efoil) if they offered an optional battery that was 1/2 the weight and run time along with a mast with a mid mounted motor, that would be a pretty sweet high end modular option. Don't think you could have a different smaller and lighter motor and still have it work with the existing setup tho. For a few extra pounds maybe the full power with shorter run time is worth it. Expensive but hope this is a direction someones developing.
I am, though like everything I do this is quantity one--for me. The motor is a monster with a gear reduction--like sticking a 427 in a radio flyer wagon. Good for 30 mph or thereabouts. I'm working on it today, just waiting for the epoxy to kick on the battery/electronics box installation. I'm fudging on the waterproofing, so this may have a short but exciting life.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 10:30:47 PM »
OMG I need to see that foil assist blast off Pono lol!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:38:32 PM by Vancouver_foiler »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »
I started a blog post that I will update as I do this goofy project. https://www.ponostyle.com/boosted-foil/

Here's a picture of the battery box from the first installment--building the battery box. At first I planned to just use a waterproof box stuck on the back of the board, but after some reflection, I realized my version with its bigger battery was going to weigh more than a few pounds as the Foil Drive does, so I did an in-board battery/electronics box.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 10:14:30 AM by PonoBill »

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 08:40:57 AM »
Pono, I, too began thinking of placing the battery inside the board, but I lack your talents. I'm following closely. If it works out well I'll have to find someone to cut-up my existing board.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal