Author Topic: Portugal SUP surfing  (Read 2723 times)

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Portugal SUP surfing
« on: September 02, 2021, 03:35:39 AM »
I am planning a move to Europe and Portugal will likely be where I settle.  They have so many surf camps but as usual finding a place that rents performance SUP boards is a research project.  Sometimes the surf shops will have one or two but that don’t always advertise.  I found one such shop in Fonte da Telha.  I decided to do a week at Mauka Lodge between Mafra and Enciera.  It was great and I discovered that the owner Tiago has boards he rents out of Lisbon.  So that takes care of the Lisbon area for me.  But next I am off to Algarve.  If anyone knows of a place in southern Portugal where they rent SUP surf boards please let me know.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:37:14 AM by ilmsup »

supthecreek

Re: Portugal SUP surfing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 04:49:00 AM »
I like your board choice!

Tiago is a great guy with a LOT of local knowledge to find the best SUP breaks!
Lots of SUP surfers up by Lisbon, but that was the only place I found them.

I lived in Sagres for 3 months and travelled around the Algarve coast a fair bit but wasn't made aware of any performance Surf SUP rentals.... in fact I never saw another SUP surfer during the entire 3 months in the Algarve.
There are a few good organizations for SUP paddling in the south because it is so beautiful and calm more so than the West Coast.

Since it's only a 3 hour drive to Lisbon, why not simply rent a board from Tiago and drop it off when you leave?

Hint:
When heading from Lisbon to the Algarve.... don't take the toll highways.... take the longer coastal roads through the mountains.... a simply amazing drive!!!
In fact, my favorite thing to do in the Algarve was to drive down EVERY dirt road I saw.... I never got any crap from exploring them, and I hardly ever saw another car.

Here's a video with some of the dit roads to the beaches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bONDn6SEBtM

I have a number of Portugal videos on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRI23a8H21jASPdVCQUpog/videos

Scroll down to 2019 time frame to find them.

Have a blast on your trip!!
Contact me by message if you have any questions

Peace
Rick

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 06:22:15 AM »
Nice video Rick.  I used two different Creek boards.  One 8’10” and the other 9’1”.  The volume was 125 and 135 respectively.  They both had enough stability for the conditions we had.  With the large one I could handle it when the wind went onshore and the conditions crapped out. I missed the performance of my 8 foot board I had in the US but I wanted to try some more stable boards on this trip.  Did you bring your board over from the US?

artc2

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 08:02:00 AM »
I've been following an Algarve SUP retreat outfit on Instagram - Sygma SUP School. They rent boards:
https://www.aljezur-sup.com/?page_id=580

Art

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 02:56:04 PM »
Nice video Rick.  I used two different Creek boards.  One 8’10” and the other 9’1”.  The volume was 125 and 135 respectively.  They both had enough stability for the conditions we had.  With the large one I could handle it when the wind went onshore and the conditions crapped out. I missed the performance of my 8 foot board I had in the US but I wanted to try some more stable boards on this trip.  Did you bring your board over from the US?

Yes, I brought 2 boards and was planning on leaving them there because I had considered moving to Portugal. It was affordable at that time but I just didn’t feel like an Ex-Pat, so I brought them both home again.
They cost more than my ticket. I think like over $800 both ways.  :-\

My 9’4 Creek and 9’0 Flash.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal