Author Topic: Wing foil board build  (Read 3697 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Wing foil board build
« on: September 01, 2021, 10:33:10 PM »
A company here in France is doing wing board blanks now so I might have a go at making one. Any thoughts on this design? Its going to be about 200 euros delivered. Probably about 450-500 euros in total for the build so not cheap. Thats all carbon.
https://www.atuacores.com/surfshop/modeles-foils/1765-wingfoilgstyle-atuacores.html

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing foil board build
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »
It sounds like the trend with wing boards is straight tails you can read on this
thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37375.0.html.

If I had your skills I would cut the blank my self. I’d recommend XP’s foam
Based on the experience with my board. Probably save 150 euros in the
Process.
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 10:21:32 PM »
I really don't want too shape a board. The mess it makes is huge. I think for the time and mess saved a cnc cut blank is worth it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »
This looks good man. Yes the trend is more square but there are a ton of boards out there like this that clearly work well.

As to mess, you still have a bit of shaping to do even with CNC. So be aware of that. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 10:32:11 PM »
Nice looking blank. Based on my recent experiments I'm a believer in flat bottoms (especially from the midpoint back) and squared tails. It looks like you could get close to that fairly easily with just a little microplane work.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 11:42:09 PM »
So I gave them a call and they say the first board is a smaller freestyle type board. They say this is a more allround type board. It has a bigger bevel. I could just stick a block of foam on and square the tail off!!
https://www.atuacores.com/surfshop/modeles-foils/1766-wingfoilsstyle-atuacores.html

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 06:43:01 AM »
Yup. The bottom is fairly flat past the midpoint. That double concave up front will be a bit draggy but will also self-correct a bit if you touch down. The rails are beveled quite a bit in the back. I'd consider blocking them with foam as well. I assume these are being popped out of a mold, but if not you could ask them to leave the tail squared and just clean up the edges so it would glass well. If it were me I'd get the 6'3" blank and cut the bevel off to get to 5'11" X 29". But with my crappy balance I'm a big fan of width.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 07:20:58 AM »
If it’s not too short, just chop the tail off. Easy.

Pre-cut blanks are a great way to build a board if you don’t have a ton of experience. My first board was like that and was a blast.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 12:55:32 PM »
The boards are designed by them and they are CNC cut. Again by them. I could ask them for one with a square tail, no bevel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal