Author Topic: FoilDrive and light wind winging  (Read 1497 times)

Foilgeoff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
FoilDrive and light wind winging
« on: August 30, 2021, 12:13:34 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: FoilDrive and light wind winging
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »
Pretty cool but...
A. It looks like the rider has the foil drive on the mast in both cases. I turned the sound off so I'm not sure, but if it's there, it's going to drag. A lot. Having the foil drive on the mast means you're going to have to use it.
B. Hard to tell from a video, but it looks like he pumps like me, meaning OK, not great. Lots of fury and effort, moderate results. Folks like Alan Cadiz, Mark Raaphorst, heavyweights like Junya or Alieka would be up in those conditions with two pumps. Mary Rose here in Hood River would be up in one.
C. I doubt I'll be using the boost I'm building to do that. I don't care what it weighs or how it mounts, weight and drag is the enemy. If I thought I could ever downwind sup foil without a boost I'd never have one. I can wingfoil in 8-10 with no problems. Don't need it, don't want it.

As a friend said, "lose weight and try harder".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 11:43:40 PM »
Or you could just get better...
http://youtu.be/ZOL8C0cnVMY

Foilgeoff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 12:09:09 AM »
And be 20 years old and be at the beach for hours every day.
Yeah, sure.
Iíll do that.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 05:35:10 AM »
Pretty cool but...
A. It looks like the rider has the foil drive on the mast in both cases. I turned the sound off so I'm not sure, but if it's there, it's going to drag. A lot. Having the foil drive on the mast means you're going to have to use it.

You might not have caught all the detail without sound, but he pumps on the foil with the foil drive attached (but not activated) and then just uses the foil drive. Also the foil drive mounts high on the mast (unlike an efoil) so once up, drag will be negligible.

His main feedback was the ease with which you can get up and foiling (so saves energy and more foiling time), the fact that you can use smaller foils on light days, but also the insurance it gives you. Going out in 8-10, it doesn't take the wind to drop much before getting going again is impossible for most mortals, especially if you've plugged on a smaller foil.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more of the 'just get better' persuasion myself, but if I lived in a light wind place, I'd be considering it...
I'm 5'10", 65kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Gong Catch 5'3 34L
Gong Hipe v2 4'11 70L
Axis ART 999
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm mast
Duotone Slick 3m, 4m, 5m

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 10:06:55 AM »
Quote from: PonoBill on August 30, 2021, 08:21:09 PM
Pretty cool but...

You might not have caught all the detail without sound, but he pumps on the foil with the foil drive attached (but not activated) and then just uses the foil drive. Also the foil drive mounts high on the mast (unlike an efoil) so once up, drag will be negligible.

I think Pono's point (which was my initial reaction as well) is that the unactivated drive creates drag while submerged, requiring additional pumping to get the whole rig flying, so, as you're watching the video and all the pumping, understand that it's not really a drive v. no-drive-naked-mast comparison. Bill will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 11:38:57 AM »
Ok... The foil drive is certainly a load of drag but once up the only disadvantage is the weight, and you might be willing to have some additional weight in exchange for a smaller foil? I don't know, just speculating... This does feel very similar to E-mountain bikes, which I initially couldn't stand but have grown to accept. If they mean people have more fun (despite the penalties vs an unpowered system) then who am I to be critical. [Just don't be a dick on the uphill and buzz my rear tyre when all of my 300 watts is muscle powered]
I'm 5'10", 65kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Gong Catch 5'3 34L
Gong Hipe v2 4'11 70L
Axis ART 999
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm mast
Duotone Slick 3m, 4m, 5m

juandesooka

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 12:52:38 PM »
I am in the Yes camp. I am hopeful these e-assisted options might open up marginal days and spots that are otherwise not doable.

The video is by Dominic Hoskyns, no slouch when it comes to foiling and pumping:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJv_6oL1jXsgIYNZBEAzRAQ/videos
He is a contemporary of Wake Thief, who is now also on the Foil Drive bandwagon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT1Lw0HRSTE

I am intrigued to see what they come up with for these tools/toys.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal