Author Topic: Pacasmayo - Laird Hamilton 2021  (Read 4296 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pacasmayo - Laird Hamilton 2021
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 07:02:46 AM »
That is the pinnacle of foil surfing! Thanks for sharing

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 07:59:36 AM »
To me its the pinnacle of foil surfing (with a stick in your hand)..

Lots of super fun tow ins on the instagrunt, but who actually gets to do that.

He paddled into that wave. Now I am guessing his buddy in the boat takes him back but still.. there is something admirable about self propelled foiling vs tow.

that board is awesome. There are 2-3 feet behind the mast :)

-red

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »
looks like another video of the same day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfLd4hwFZNs

I think I may need to visit that place

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 11:15:28 PM »
What a glorious wave. Me want. Three minutes on one wave. Fuck me running, my back leg would cramp for a week.

And actually given how Laird paddles it's probably just as fast for him to paddle back out as get towed. If you've never seen him do it, it's a bit unreal. I watched him paddling from the cliff at Peahi when he went from the far right to the left behind a single wave, and then took the next one--paddling and going left. It honestly looked like he had a motor. I was babbling about this years ago and Dave Kalama said "Laird could win any paddle race he entered." That was a long time ago, and I don't know if he'd say it now, but the guy is ungodly fast and never slows down. Remember that he paddled across every channel in the Hawaiian islands and then rode a bike across each island to start the next channel. Dave did it with him, and has some great stories about what it took to keep up with Laird who was cruising. As legendary as the guy is, there are layers and layers of unnoticed accomplishment behind that legend.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 11:19:57 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 07:00:19 AM »
Oh boy how good that must feel. What a dream. Just one would be enough.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 12:45:03 PM »
Two of my friends happened to be surfing there the time Laird and Terry Chung were foiling. They couldn't get over how much farther those two were than everyone else. They  said they were surfing at least twice as far.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 06:11:17 PM »
Laird's riding is nowhere near as impressive or aesthetic as the top riders I see these days (to my eye), but the wave looks absolutely amazing.  His board looks a lot like the boards we were riding 3 years ago, I'm surprised to see that.  Thanks for sharing the video, cool to see.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
This makes me want to improve my heel side skills on lefts.  ;D

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 08:35:22 PM »
Jondrums, He is not trying to compete with the young whipper snappers. The style here is man power into the wave, then not blowing the shot.

He is the man, one of the pioneers.

This is a cat pissing on a new spot where no cat has pissed before. He posts videos like this lately.. Random spots where nobody has foiled, long ass waves.

Its going to be hard for anyone to say they were the first to foil "Bla" at the rate he is going.

This may also be the record distance ever recorded for standup, self propelled foil wave. Thought I saw a cut, but its long...

-red

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 07:33:51 AM »
https://youtu.be/E6X4V4K4XQI

Longer wave at pacasmayo in 2019. Not the first time he’s been there. He’s been before then too.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 07:27:12 AM »
Laird's riding is nowhere near as impressive or aesthetic as the top riders I see these days (to my eye), but the wave looks absolutely amazing.  His board looks a lot like the boards we were riding 3 years ago, I'm surprised to see that.  Thanks for sharing the video, cool to see.
Laird throughout his whole career was never a top rider, something he would be the first to tell you (which he has said as much in interviews). Being a top rider was never something he was interested in. He dropped out of the ASP tour by the late 80s due to the fact he could not (and was not interested in) surfing that way (traditional shortboard ripper). His interests at the time were more in big waves which eventually led to experimenting with tow in and also foils (he was foiling in the 90s). Also he enjoyed traditional longboarding even before it became accepted. And of course SUP. Even as a SUP pioneer he was never interested in the competitive aspect or gravitating towards the more shortboard style of riders like the Vaz brothers. Experimenting with alternative forms of surfing was always his forte, so to say his riding isn't has impressive as the current top riders is kind of missing the point.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 08:48:00 AM »
On the 'aternative forms of surfing' theme, a Hanalei local was telling me Laird likes to cruise around the bay on an e-foil...  maybe that explains his board size preference in the Pacasmayo video, stick with what's familiar... consistency. 
Ah conjecture... 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal