Author Topic: Limestone wetsuits  (Read 6441 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Limestone wetsuits
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 03:07:55 AM »
Custom made wetsuits sound great,like taylor made just for you right?.
Well,it depends on the taylor.
My personal (and my brother in law too) experience with custom spearfishing wetsuits has been awful.Similar to the above post.
Bad fit,bad seams,bad materials,ignored claims.From two different brands with great reputation.

I know a size M ONeill,Vissla or RipCurl fits me well enough,so i do not risk it.Winter wetsuits are consumibles IMHO.They soon become thick spring wetsuits,then superthick summer wetsuits :)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
Clay, I normally don't say anything negative on forums as there are often two sides to a story, but I got ripped off, plain and simple; a wetsuit should be snug, and not too long in the arms such that there are bunches and bunches of suit...

Eric's the one who took the measurments via a 45 min video fitting.  I showed him how my normal size L O'neil, Matuse, Xcel, Patagonia, Ferel all fit ok, and that I tried on a Japanese suit made under the "Moonsuits" label and was impressed by the materials, but not the fit. He explained AXXE custom suits would fit my broad shoulders better and last longer because they fit correctly, not "stressed"... the suit showed up and was way too big.  Layed on top of an Oneil L, its 2" wider on either side, so 4" larger chest and so on.  It is exactly the same as an xxl and I'm 185lbs, 5'10.  With no offer to alter or return, I was instructed that that is just the way AXXE fits it's suits, specifically, they are not "stressed."  What a joke.  A $900 dollar joke on me because they only take checks or venmo.  I tried it a few times per instructions from Eric, way way too big, but again he just stated it was as designed.  Around the 4th use for kitesurfing since surfing wasn't functional, the seams started opening at the shoulders and other panels.  Lesson learned, try before you buy, and with a credit card, because there are some truly unscrupulous people out there.

Ah bummer, sounds like a ruff ride
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 01:39:35 PM »
A $900 dollar joke on me because they only take checks or venmo.

$900?! Ouch

You're probably leery of custom suits now but these guys seem legit and might be worth a try....  https://www.7till8.com

I haven't bought a custom from them but have visited their shop and gotten measured.  I bought one of their off-the-rack (non-Yamamoto) wetsuits when they still offered them.  Not sure I would as forgiving if I paid retail but it's a decent suit for the sale price I paid.  The custom suits seem reasonably priced though.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 07:34:18 AM »

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 04:14:10 PM »
I just threw in an order for a Vissla, 6/5 suit that says it's limestone. I didn't order it for that reason, but the price being $315 and it's ability to possibly keep me on the water through a winter in the gorge was intriguing. I'll try to remember to review it a bit more mid winter.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 07:08:35 PM »
Ripcurl, O'Neil, Excell...it's hard to beat them. really,
 The new gen patagonias are prob the best and backed with an awesome warantee.

I tried Visla and Ion as well-they both fell apart in 1/2 a season.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 07:34:18 PM »
One note re: brands.

They mostly have different levels of quality so be careful saying “so and so sucks” or “lasted a season”.

For example, you can buy a $100 O’neil and a $500. Same for Vissla, and the others. Only the small guys make one level of quality and that’s usually high.

And then remember that the more flexible the neoprene, which we all love, then the less durable it likely is in a lot of cases.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal