Author Topic: Limestone wetsuits  (Read 6451 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Limestone wetsuits
« on: August 26, 2021, 02:50:03 PM »
Limestone wetsuits, any converts out there? 

I would think that for those that are chasing the bottom in terms of volume, this is highly relevant.  I no doubt can't ride my smallest boards in the winter, they are easiest to ride in board shorts.
I have seen numbers where limestone wetsuits have 6% penetration by water, whereas traditional wetsuits have 30-40%.
I would love the see the experiment where someone comes in from a multi-hour session and steps on a scale with the two different types of suits.
https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/blog/how-heavy-are-wetsuits/
https://surflearner.com/how-much-does-a-wetsuit-weigh/

In my experience, the weight increase of a traditional wetsuit seems gradual where you don't really notice it in the average length of a prone surf session.  However, during my long SUP sessions where I am out twice as long as the average prone surfer, my legs definitely start feeling the change in weight.

Besides the weight-saving benefits of limestone, they are supposed to be warmer too. Because there is less water penetration, that equivalent area is filled with air bubbles, which provides insulation.
How cool would it be to wear a 3/2 limestone instead of a heavy 4/3 traditional wetsuit?

For those unfamiliar with the differences:
https://blog.rideengine.com/limestone-vs-petroleum-neoprene-why-limestone-wetsuits-win/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:08:28 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Limestone wetsuits
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 10:13:45 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing that. I had never heard of these type of wetsuits, but it makes perfect sense.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:46:50 AM »
I used them for several years now. Highly recommend them but I look specifically for the Yamamoto neoprene.

"Premium Japanese limestone-based neoprene. Yamamoto’s neoprene is more eco-friendly, lighter and has a longer lifespan than traditional petroleum-based neoprene.

Its unique high closed-cell structure provides maximum heat retention, extra warmth and added buoyancy."

Hard to find as most major brands seem to have their own neoprene or they don't say where it's sourced (usually China)

I have used Neil Pryde wetsuits for years and am very happy with them. Yea it sounds like an ad but their pricing for Yamamoto is very good.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 10:56:58 AM »
I have two winter wetsuits from need essentials that are made with limestone and honestly I didn’t notice water retention difference and while I feel they are warm wetsuits I don’t find them noticeably warmer than my previous xcel suit.  They are less expensive then most of the top name brands.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
I thought about it some more and the suit does dry quicker so that’s probably due to less water retention.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 09:30:00 PM »
If someone is using Yamamoto they tell you. It’s expensive and worth it. The lining and outer fabric also matters too.

Need essentials are nice mid line suits at a great price but the premium stuff is noticeable.

I noticed the Neil Pryde stuff recently. Def cheaper than most using the Yamamoto rubber.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 04:45:31 AM »
Let me tell'ya. Friends from Santa Cruz come to the Seacoast of NH and Maine regularly to visit and on a recent trip showed up with Feral Wetsuits. Feral is a direct-to-consumer brand using Yamamoto neoprene. I bought a 4/3. This thing soaks up almost no water. It is like a miracle or magic. As a result, it drys super fast. The downside is it has no lining so is a bit more difficult to get on. Especially when new. It is warm as well.
New England Is My Playground

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
Yeah, most of the smaller high end companies use the Y.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 01:25:26 PM »
All I have worn for a decade give or take a few years.
Axxe, patagonia, isirus and matuse.

First most obvious difference is they don't smell or have that horrible toxic smell.

Quick drying, I wore a 5/3 Isurus and my gf a 4/3 cheap big brand neoprene.  Hung them to dry for an evening session, mine was almost bone dry and hers still soaking wet.

Fit and comfort for me are good, hard to get on at first and again at end of life.

They last great until they hit end of life and then just start falling apart, can be repaired for a while end then it starts to get ridiculous.

Axxe suits are ridiculously warm, norcal winters at OB were the reason for paying that big price tag.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 05:24:48 PM »
Getting into the limestone and yamamoto suits can be a tough.  These suits have been used in freediving for a while.  Keep a bottle of hair conditioner and lube your arms and legs up with it and you will slide right into it.  Then when you are in the water, it will dilute and mix and go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2amtcSJLKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg6gjQI0G78
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:42:42 PM by ninja tuna »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 12:28:20 AM »
You've been putting wetsuits on wrong your whole life.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCy5FCin6hp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 03:35:20 AM »
You've been putting wetsuits on wrong your whole life.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCy5FCin6hp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Haha, gonna have to try that! Thanks
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

Hwy1north

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »

Axxe suits are ridiculously warm, norcal winters at OB were the reason for paying that big price tag.

I have a couple of Matuse suits that are in terms of water retention and weight way lighter and warmer than an equivalent O'Neil.  The Scipio 3mm is truly as warm as most 4/3's, but much lighter and faster drying.  It's crazy expensive though, and somewhat fragile.  Unfortunately, covid has ruined all chances of getting one on sale, so it may be hard to justify the cash... speaking of cash, I bought an AXXE thanks to some possitive forum reviews and the lack of an off the shelf suit in the Covid crissis-no supply months ago.  The AXXE was beyond a dissapointment.  Horrible fit, fell apart at the seams quickly, heavy when wet, no warranty.  Avoid.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 04:00:22 PM »

I have a couple of Matuse suits that are in terms of water retention and weight way lighter and warmer than an equivalent O'Neil.  The Scipio 3mm is truly as warm as most 4/3's, but much lighter and faster drying.  It's crazy expensive though, and somewhat fragile.  Unfortunately, covid has ruined all chances of getting one on sale, so it may be hard to justify the cash... speaking of cash, I bought an AXXE thanks to some possitive forum reviews and the lack of an off the shelf suit in the Covid crissis-no supply months ago.  The AXXE was beyond a dissapointment.  Horrible fit, fell apart at the seams quickly, heavy when wet, no warranty.  Avoid.

Surprised to hear this, mine were custom direct from axxe, I milked a couple to last almost 6 years.
Maybe try email:  eric at axxewetsuits.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Hwy1north

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 09:31:51 PM »
Clay, I normally don't say anything negative on forums as there are often two sides to a story, but I got ripped off, plain and simple; a wetsuit should be snug, and not too long in the arms such that there are bunches and bunches of suit...

Eric's the one who took the measurments via a 45 min video fitting.  I showed him how my normal size L O'neil, Matuse, Xcel, Patagonia, Ferel all fit ok, and that I tried on a Japanese suit made under the "Moonsuits" label and was impressed by the materials, but not the fit. He explained AXXE custom suits would fit my broad shoulders better and last longer because they fit correctly, not "stressed"... the suit showed up and was way too big.  Layed on top of an Oneil L, its 2" wider on either side, so 4" larger chest and so on.  It is exactly the same as an xxl and I'm 185lbs, 5'10.  With no offer to alter or return, I was instructed that that is just the way AXXE fits it's suits, specifically, they are not "stressed."  What a joke.  A $900 dollar joke on me because they only take checks or venmo.  I tried it a few times per instructions from Eric, way way too big, but again he just stated it was as designed.  Around the 4th use for kitesurfing since surfing wasn't functional, the seams started opening at the shoulders and other panels.  Lesson learned, try before you buy, and with a credit card, because there are some truly unscrupulous people out there. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal