Author Topic: Not to change gears but  (Read 4034 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Not to change gears but
« on: August 23, 2021, 07:56:55 PM »
Has anyone had any experience using the RAD measurement system for sizing mountain bikes?  I’m thinking about picking up a Yeti SB 115 (for med/fast single track trail riding) and I’m stuck between M and L. Both sizes work for me, either will require a little fitting work.  My RAD measurement tells me to go with the M. My gut says the L.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Not to change gears but
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 01:44:02 AM »
If you are on the overlap I would go larger.  I did the same myself earlier this season.  With dropper posts and new frame designs, clearance is no longer an issue.  Reach is so key to comfort.  If you go too small and end up needing to go longer on the stem...well that sucks.  That Yeti is a gorgeous bike!  Are you getting it from Jenson?  I ended up buying from them.  What a terrific shopping experience.  Literally 20 minutes out of the box until riding.  Chan got a Canyon and was super happy with them as well. 

sup-n-skirts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
Mountain biking is my main sport.... I tend to fall between M and L sizes as well, I almost always end up going with a L frame sizes and I run shorter stems and run the seat a tiny bit lower (or use a longer dropper post and slam that sucker). This is on a 29er as well. If you have the option to demo both, I say thats the better way to go, but I usually feel going a tiny big larger on the frame and shorter stems tends to be a more comfortable bike and one that handles the steeps better.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
You're both absolutely right, I just got back form my local bike shop, (Belmar Bike Shop) and they had both sizes for me to try.  As you would have suspected, the M was just too cramped, so going with a large in Yeti-white (Blanco).  The only "necessary" change was to swap out the stock handlebar to get a 12 degree sweep. 

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow! 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
I still surf and paddle a few times a week, but I mountain bike just as much. I have lots of discussions on a mtb forum about frame geometry, especially XXL 'TallDude' size bikes. One of the problems with a lot of manufacturers (Santa Cruz) is they tend to extend the reach on the larger frames, but the chain stays are the same length from the SM to XXL frames. This puts the tall person more forward on the bike, which means your ride is fork dependent. It's cheaper for them mold and manufacturing wise to make one size chain stay for all sizes. If the chain stay grew in length along with the top and bottom tube, the riders would maintain a more centered (shock and fork balance) riding position. Another issue is the ground to grip height is almost the same from SM to XXL. A 140mm travel fork and 29r wheel will be the same height no matter what bike. A taller headtube will raise the grip about an inch (but mine is not). I converted my FOX 36 forks from 140mm to 160mm. That raised my grip height 1" and slacked my bike to 66 deg. Then added 40mm riser handlebars will raise the grip height even more. This moved me up and back into a better, more balance position. But my bike wants to wheelie out on the steep climbs, so I have my saddle moved way forward. That removes some of the XXL reach which is not great. If the frick'n chain stay was longer, I wouldn't have to move my seat forward. Now some manufacturers are putting a flip chip at the rear axil. If you want, just flip the chip and it moves the wheel back increasing the chain stay length.
People who ride road / gravel bikes tend to have this go smaller on the frame and get a longer stem. For Trail / Enduro / or Gravity bikes and longer wheel base more reach is a better way to go. You do not want a shorter wheel base on steep descents...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:40:59 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 01:51:25 PM »
You're both absolutely right, I just got back form my local bike shop, (Belmar Bike Shop) and they had both sizes for me to try.  As you would have suspected, the M was just too cramped, so going with a large in Yeti-white (Blanco).  The only "necessary" change was to swap out the stock handlebar to get a 12 degree sweep. 

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!
Stoked! That 130mm travel fork will get you through some rougher single track sections. The FOX 34 with the Grip2 is a good fork too. Do yourself a favor and get a 28 tooth chainring, you will thank me:) It's my eGear. Or you could call it a Granny Gear. Love it. I can climb anything with ease. Allows me to ride longer rides. I preach it!
It's not overhead to me!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
If it make the difference between making a climb or having to hike it, count me in.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 08:25:18 PM »
If you got SRAM hardware, this is the chainring. It's steel not aluminum like the SRAM Eagle. This works perfect with my 1x12. https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Black-Sram-Chain-Ring/dp/B073GX56WF/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3OBEOA03RD8Y6&dchild=1&keywords=28t+chainring&qid=1629861634&sprefix=28t+%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-2
It's not overhead to me!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 06:26:09 AM »
Thanks TD, mine is a Shimano build, but there are still lots of nice options.  I am going from a 1x11 with a 42 to a 1x12 with a 51 so as I found out last night on my local trail, there is pretty decent low range for now.  Very stoked, appreciate the input!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 09:14:26 AM »
With your 30t to 51t, your gear ratio is .59 My 28t to 50t is .56 My wife's 24t (2x chainring) to 42t is .57
If you got a 28t chainring your granny gear ratio would be .55 You'll never use your highest 10t ring, so you're just shifting your range to include that Granny Gear. And let me tell you.. You'll use it all the time! Even on gradual climbs it lets you catch your breath. I ride twice as long because of it.
It's not overhead to me!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 09:40:54 AM »
I might find out the hard way this weekend on some steeper trails.  I'm hoping not to have to dismount and "cyclocross" , and shoulder carry, my way to the top. 

We have some fairly steep single track here in NJ, but they are relatively short duration climbs.  A climb lasting more than 10-15 min here is a rarity. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 10:44:08 AM »
Here's my local loop. Lots of steep ups and steep downs. Plus I can check out the surf while I ride from multiple vantages:)  I forgot to add "TACOs" to my map....
It's not overhead to me!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
Very nice!

I am truly blessed with a short 2mi to the beach and 1.5mi to the trails, but you won the lottery TD!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 11:19:19 AM by Bean »

sup-n-skirts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »
TD: Thats awesome you're so close to trails and the ocean. I can go ride from my home, but I have to drive half an hour min to get to the ocean here.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
I am very fortunate to have bought my house 33 yrs ago:) I couldn't afford it now. BTW, Doheny was pumping last week! Almost too big. It was too big at Trestles for sure. Just walled bombs..
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal