Author Topic: GONG Curve XL + V2 Mast & Fuselage  (Read 2607 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
GONG Curve XL + V2 Mast & Fuselage
« on: August 16, 2021, 09:39:45 PM »
Ok, got my new Curve XL wing (and stab) to replace my Rise XL. Great beginner wing for my first year (and one that several friends have learned on too) and now it’s time to go to something faster with a bit more glide.

1900cm2 and way thinner profile, 92cm wide and all the glide I could need while still staying in the water. I like having a big foil here where our wind is often marginal and this one fits the bill. Way better speed with less front foot pressure and more glide to get me around a jibe. Takes off in almost as little wind so really not much lost and a ton gained. I now know why OBX loves this wing. It really is near perfect for winging.

The new Gong mast is a huge improvement as well. It’s still the heaviest foil rig by far (it has to be) but I don’t mind it and don’t feel it in the water. (I’ll take all the stability I can get actually.) The mast is thicker and the chord is also longer. It looks like the Neil Pryde mast stock actually. Even with the big wing it was rock solid and while at my size (63kg) the flex was never that big of a deal, I’m now at the point in my progression where I can feel the difference in response a bit.

I can’t wait to try the 65cm mast in the surf but I tested the 85cm winging and I completely get why people like longer masts now. So cool and no danger of breaching at all. I flew all day and never really got to hear the tail gurgle that warns of a breach. I’m sure I’ll start flying higher and get there but it was awesome in the boat wake chop on the lake. If this rig is solid at 85, 65 with a smaller wing will feel great. Do not hesitate to go with a longer mast if you wing foil.

The order was weird in a good way. Their containers were delayed like everyone these days so I waited 3 months for the gear to be in stock. But what’s wild (for all of us who ordered in the past) is that once the gear was in stock my order shipped from France via DHL in a week (!!) Could it be that Gong has finally sorted their logistics? It seems that if they have the gear in stock it comes fast now.

Overall, other than weight, which only bothers me when I’m carrying this thing, I like this gear. Now that the mast is beefier this stuff works really well. If you don’t have easy access to used gear, a Gong foil is a decent way to start. I’ll eventually move on to Axis, Lift or Takuma etc I’m sure. But this has been a great relatively inexpensive way to try a lot of wings and gear. (Or maybe I’ll just buy their carbon masts?) Pics coming by the way, just couldn’t deal with the forum software from my iPad.

I want to get a Veloce high aspect wing now. Who’s selling one used?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GONG Curve XL + V2 Mast & Fuselage
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 06:38:17 PM »
Aaaand... the pics.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 06:39:43 PM »
Those show the new bag (really cool, can carry 2 full setups) and then the wings and tails for the Curve XL compared to the Rise XL.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
And here's the mast pics. The ones where the calipers are not on anything show the thickness of the masts (14MM vs 17MM.) Note that even the top plate is 30% beefier.

crSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 03:49:52 AM »
good info! Thanks!

Can you weight them? I'm sure the new one is heavier.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:38:12 PM »
Yes, I’ll check but I think it’s about 2lbs more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal