Author Topic: Summer pulse  (Read 2840 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Summer pulse
« on: August 14, 2021, 11:17:57 PM »
The tourists this summer have had much rain and wind and the surfers among them
were mostly screwed with either small period chop or unsurfable XL mess.

Well this day that all changed and everywhere lit up. This spot starts to close out when the period starts to get longer and this day was at the limit, @11s.

Not being able to duck dive is tricky. If for whatever reason I end up in foamy water it's back in to and then a walk back up the beach.

*No waterlife creatures were injured in the making of this video.

supthecreek

Re: Summer pulse
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 03:48:35 AM »
Waves!!!!
Getting to be that time of year Rastaman.... looks like you made the most of it  :)

It's always interesting when a crowd gathers and weaving though them becomes the norm.

What happens over 11 sec... do you have any points that have manageable crowds?
I just paddle down to that place you know  ;D (Mums the word!)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:30:42 AM »
Nice video and it looked like a great day, though I saw 6' in the title and expected something radically different. 6' in Hawaii is approaching double overhead. Or at least double over Greg (covesurfer).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »
Nice pulse! Love those summer days when the surf gets proper. Seems they are far and few between over there in FR just like here in New Jersey. Great surfing and waves, and nice navigating through the crowd. Still would like to see some SOLOSHOT pov from the beach. Seems like that beach would be perf for it. I would settle for a nose mounted GoPro though.

This was our best swell of the summer hands down. Not often we get hurricane swells so early in the season!
https://youtu.be/4qKXcCScaH4
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:48:46 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »
Nice videos SurfinJ and Cookie. It's been pretty good here too. Lots of hurricanes coming up from Central America.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 02:27:38 PM »
J and Cookie

Thanks for posting! Good waves and surfing. Next week picking up a bit here on the NW Pacific coast. Will try to dust of the Soloshot. The last session filming a friend in DO big waves it did not track well. The camera seemed to get lost in the big pits. Perhaps not set up high enough?

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 06:22:57 AM »
Waves!!!!
Getting to be that time of year Rastaman.... looks like you made the most of it  :)

It's always interesting when a crowd gathers and weaving though them becomes the norm.

What happens over 11 sec... do you have any points that have manageable crowds?
I just paddle down to that place you know  ;D (Mums the word!)
It is true that what this stretch of coast misses is a point break. There are a few spots, more cove like than pointbreak.  Our beloved spot you mentioned gets a pass till the fall as it is now overwhelmed.
The north coast of Spain or where you explored in Portugal are the point break zones.
Nice video and it looked like a great day, though I saw 6' in the title and expected something radically different. 6' in Hawaii is approaching double overhead. Or at least double over Greg (covesurfer).
Thanks Bill. This would be 3’ Hawaiian. The bouy was showing 4’ and on the sandbar it was standing up to head high.
Nice pulse! Love those summer days when the surf gets proper. Seems they are far and few between over there in FR just like here in New Jersey. Great surfing and waves, and nice navigating through the crowd. Still would like to see some SOLOSHOT pov from the beach. Seems like that beach would be perf for it. I would settle for a nose mounted GoPro though.

This was our best swell of the summer hands down. Not often we get hurricane swells so early in the season!
https://youtu.be/4qKXcCScaH4
Thanks Cookie. Maybe same storm?  I would love to see myself from afar like the solo shot. But the nose mount I do not like. I get its use as a training aid. But I have crazy weird wipeouts and could picture injuring myself.  Clumsy boy.
J and Cookie

Thanks for posting! Good waves and surfing. Next week picking up a bit here on the NW Pacific coast. Will try to dust of the Soloshot. The last session filming a friend in DO big waves it did not track well. The camera seemed to get lost in the big pits. Perhaps not set up high enough?

Cheers

Bob
Thanks Bob. Swells are kicking in. Looking forward to vids from up there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal