Author Topic: Heading to Punta de Mita, Mex tomorrow for a week at a SUP retreat  (Read 2508 times)

supthecreek

Heading to Punta de Mita, Mex tomorrow for a week at a SUP retreat
« on: September 10, 2021, 07:43:07 PM »
Yewwwww... swell is on and GenRation has invited me down for the week.
Very stoked  :)

Surfed some big Larry swell today in heavy wind.
I waited outside of the crowd for the sets
Super late, bumpy drops with long walls
Good session and SoloShot3 didn't get a single frame. So bummed  :(

Had me dead center as I paddled off the beach.... then it drifted  25 yards to my right for the entire 2 hour session.... but I had a blast! :)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Heading to Punta de Mita, Mex tomorrow for a week at a SUP retreat
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
Good for you, Rick!   I picked that spot for myself about 4yrs ago.  I just could not justify half my vacation waiting for/making connections from here...   

I told my wife; If MEX was as mellow as the people are nice and good as the food, we Yanks would be the ones climbing over The Wall to live there. I could see 2X weekly 'Medicare' flights to Sand Deigo or LA. 

Have fun for all of us...

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 01:33:24 PM »
Have fun Rick! It looks like an off-shore rodeo. That wind will usually hold it up long enough for some highline speeders.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 02:15:49 PM »
wow so jealous Rick. I went out on either side of Larry's huge day in Long Island and it was fun as hell! Had to work on Friday, but it was so big, I'm not sure I would have gone out. Although it would have been hard to resist.

hopefully your solo shot will work better in Mexico. Dying to go south for some swell this year. Never done it.

This video from Montauk on Friday is the most beautiful video I've seen. Plus a couple paddlers made it into it. Not actually on the waves, but not looking out either.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/video-exclusive-hurricane-larrys-magic-montauk/131462
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »
That wind looks pretty gnarly Rick...  Glad you didn't get blown out to Portugal! 

Hope you enjoy hanging with Evelyn and the GenRation crew down in Punta de Mita.  If they have any SP25's in the size I'm looking for (7'11" or 8'2") let me know! 

I was going to reach out to Evelyn to see if she was surfing Montauk for Larry - reached out to Fanman who was working Friday so ultimately didn't make the drive out East.  But I think I made the right call with an amazing session Friday morning a sandy point near me that had more user friendly double-overhead waves with fun 200yd walls that were perfect on a SUP - much more doable than what was shown on the usual channels.  The wind came up pretty heavy later in the day but the wave at Gilgo looked too good to pass up so I paddled out and was hanging out with the relatively small crew when a cleanup set came and a double overhead+ wave snapped my second leash of the day so I was toast...  Saturday morning was also really fun early before the tide came up and swell dropped.   

Larry definitely brought the goods - probably the largest I've seen in NY for the last several years. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal