Author Topic: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?  (Read 12934 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »
I'm in transition.  I recently got a wing foil. I had to sell two boards to pay for it so I'm down to just one SUP. I'm hoping to SUP surf on clean days, wing foil when it's windy, and possibly do some SUP foiling as well. I've heard that foiling can mess with your SUP surfing ability so we will see how that goes.

Two beginner sessions in on the foil and now the wind has died with no wind in the forecast. Very little surf to speak of either. For times like this, I have an electric skateboard as backup.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 09:55:47 AM »
I'm in transition.  I recently got a wing foil. I had to sell two boards to pay for it so I'm down to just one SUP. I'm hoping to SUP surf on clean days, wing foil when it's windy, and possibly do some SUP foiling as well. I've heard that foiling can mess with your SUP surfing ability so we will see how that goes.

Two beginner sessions in on the foil and now the wind has died with no wind in the forecast. Very little surf to speak of either. For times like this, I have an electric skateboard as backup.

Foiling absolutely messed with my SUP surf ability, just because of the different volume distribution on the board, the muscle memory taking off on a foil, etc. Of course, I pretty much went full-on foil and maybe SUP surfed 5 times out of 100 sessions in the last year.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 01:00:51 PM »
I have read that too, that wing foiling will mess up SUP surfing, and I have been waiting to see but I haven't felt it yet and been foiling for over a year and a half.  Maybe windsurfing background had something to do with it .

It's possible SUP foiling will mess up my SUP surfing, but won't try SUP foiling until this winter.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »
The missus and I still only SUP Surf, but we hang out with the foil crew because they're so chipper and happy all the time with their new toys and tales of gliding and revelry. I still see more suppers than foilers but it's getting closer to even these days.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »
I have read that too, that wing foiling will mess up SUP surfing, and I have been waiting to see but I haven't felt it yet and been foiling for over a year and a half.  Maybe windsurfing background had something to do with it .

It's possible SUP foiling will mess up my SUP surfing, but won't try SUP foiling until this winter.

Foiling totally hosed my SUP surfing and sup surfing screwed with my foiling. I think it's only true in the beginning when you're trying to make all the moving pieces mesh. The boards move completely differently and foiling emphasizes your front leg. I was pearling and falling on my SUP like I'd never done it before.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2021, 06:27:20 PM »
Kia doesn't seem to have a problem switching back and forth?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
I just check in here every so often to see who’s started foiling from the initial group who said they only sup surf.  ;D

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2021, 12:03:42 AM »
Still just SUP surfing!

The foil is tempting, but I don't think it adds anything to my days out yet. Once I am convinced that foiling would lead to more waves and fewer crowds I'm in. Here in Oregon though.... I surf alone most days.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2021, 06:30:48 AM »
I just scored 5 days of epic sup surfing north of Santa Cruz a couple weeks ago. Glassy, head high reef points and uncrowded. I had a van full of foils and wings ready for action. The eel grass was shutting down the foiling for the most part. I was stoked to get on the Colin McPhilips 9'6" and do hot laps around the proners. I have always valued being versital and not being a unisport guy who cries if his sport isn't working. When I go to the ocean, I bring all the proper tools.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2021, 07:04:46 AM »
I knew I’d rile a few of you up with that. 😅

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »
I watched a wing guy ride on foil for 30 minutes while I got tangled up in kelp on my prone foil for a half hour. 8 waves. Maybe 20 seconds of ride time. He had 2 miles of ride distance covered. :)

supthecreek

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »
I wake up every day just totally stoked about SUP surfing.

Around here it is necessary to get out at sunrise to beat the crowd.
Pics from 2 days ago.... LOVE this sport more than ever!!!

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2021, 03:30:29 PM »
Hi, New to the fourm but have SUP surfed since 09, & surfed before that (manual style). I switch it up -  I have figured out how to SUP, SUP FOIL, & PRONE FOIL. I am on a 5'4" foam board at since the water is warm and waves are small. If over 3 ft then SUP for sure. Smaller than 3 ft then FOIL I tend to get hurt on the high speed foil crashes.
I get greeted at SanO all the time where's your foil? - No foil today SUP today.
I have be the only one out at SanO on a SUP in a crowd of foilers having a blast- they are scared of the late drops on the Dog Patch mush burgers. More for me.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »
I surf Monday morning and this morning. There was 4 or 5 SUP surfers and maybe 8 or so prone at the break I've been surfing. Water temp went from 60 deg last week to 70 and trunking it this week 8) Kids are going back to school 'In Person' next week. That should kill the crowds a bit.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal