Author Topic: How to repair Boardworks Eradicator bought used  (Read 3167 times)

Bay-Babe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
How to repair Boardworks Eradicator bought used
« on: July 28, 2021, 12:15:21 PM »
Help! I’m brand new here looking for advice on repairing the board I just bought used. I took her out on her maiden voyage Sunday, and when I was cleaning her after, I noticed some water bubbling. Video attached. Can I repair at home?
Thanks!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to repair Boardworks Eradicator bought used
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »
The usual 'welcome to the Zone':)....... It can be an easy temporary patch, or a slightly more involved permanent repair. Some clear Gorilla tape, or Aluminum tape (for Pono), or even a vinyl sticker will temporarily do the trick. I have some temporary patches on some of my boards that are 5 year old patches:) My favorite boards I repair with a little piece of fiberglass and epoxy. It will be clear and you'll never see the repair (if done right).
BUT FIRST!!!!! you have to let the water that sucked into the board drain out. The EPS foam core acts like a sponge and sucks / wicks the water into the board. Let the sun and gravity do most of the work. As the board heats up, the EPS foam expands due to gases developing inside the board. That's what the vent is for on your board. To keep water out and let the gas escape before it builds up too much and blows an opening in the board. That pressure is what is causing the bubbling from your puncture. Leaving your board in the sun has to be done with monitoring. You want it to get hot, but no too hot. The darker the board, the more you need to monitor it or only partially expose it to the sun. The expanding gasses will help push the water out. Leaning the board up against something so that the ding is facing down and at the lowest point so gravity can help it drain.
This may take a few days or a week (you won't get all of it out). Sucks. BUT.... you can put some tape on it, paddle it, take the tape off and let it drain more after. Don't wait to long to do this (DO IT NOW) or the water will migrate further into the board and stay there permanently:( Heavier board... 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 02:44:56 PM »
I would keep the board out of the water until it is repaired.  I would not start the repair until the board is dry.  Summer months are best for drying a board.  My test is to put my board on my roof racks, if it drips onto my car, then it has a ding.  It is not uncommon for me to leave the board on the rack until it stops dripping.  Good news is you already found a hole.  I would mark it with a sharpie.  The next step is to dry the board.  I like to use gravity, warm weather, and time.  To speed up the drying you can drill 1/4" holes into the board.  You could put beads of paper towels into the holes to try to wick the water out.  For the impatient, there is the aquarium pump/heat lamp method.  It is not uncommon for me to wait a month after I think a board is dry before I will start a repair (I don't like heavy boards).  I have a scale so I can monitor the process.  I typically weigh my boards for reference.  Once the board is dry (patience is a virtue), you can fill the holes with gorilla glue, then cover with glass, paint, and epoxy.  It will all be a learning process, but board will ride as good as new after it is dry and water tight.  Search for Beasho, he has a lot of good tips.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 03:23:39 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 06:01:30 PM »

Consider MarineTex for that size repair.  It's an epoxy putty and comes in white or grey. The grey would blend invisibly on your board.  Put masking tape around the hole, apply the MarineTex, not too thick.  As it hardens, pull the tape off. leaving a neat little patch. 

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Might-Repair-Ounce-Gray/dp/B001446LKO
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Bay-Babe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »
Thank you for all the info everyone!

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »
I use an aquarium pump to push air through the board. The one I have has adjustable airflow and when dead-headed will go between 2-5psi. I put the pump into the vent plug, and depending on the size of the ding, I'll set it to maintain about 2 psi. This will push the water back out of the ding, and continue flowing air through the board, drying the ding area. I'll usually let it run for about 48 hours after all water stops coming out. 

Then repair.

If it's just a pin hole in the epoxy, or something like that, I'll build a dam around the area, fill with epoxy, and using a vacuum pump, pull a small vacuum through the vent plug, which pulls the epoxy into the board, rather than just a superficial covering. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal