Author Topic: Target semi-newbie advice  (Read 1507 times)

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
Target semi-newbie advice
« on: July 28, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »
Hey all... 

I've got an opportunity to get hooked up with a Starboard wingfoil setup, and need some advice on gear and sizing. 

I'm 6'2, 230 lbs, 50yo. Learned how to windsurf in the 80s and haven't lost the sail knowledge.  Advanced SUP surfer.

But I have yet to learn how to foil.  I can make an educated guess on board and wing size, but I'm totally lost when it comes to foil shape, size and mast length. 

I was told that a Starboard S-2000 wing would be a good starter for me. 
https://starboardfoils.com/pages/2021-s-type

Can I get some advice on if that's correct?  Also, what mast size do you all recommend? 

Thanks all! 
Sustainable Surf

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Target semi-newbie advice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:42:19 PM »
Hi KW, great foil for you to start. I’m only #140 and have the S2000 for super light winging and also as a starter foil for friends and family.
It’s not too high aspect and lifts consistently and is easy to control once flying.
Not sure what stabilizer you are looking at but I would suggest the larger curved 270 is the easiest to begin - if you can’t get the 270 the regular 250 also works fine and is ultimately faster.
The standard 72cm alloy mast is extremely rigid and a great place to start. I’ve also go the 82cm carbon which I love but always set learners up with the alloy mast.
Hope that helps

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:44:44 PM by JonathanC »

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
That the foil set up is what I started on. I was perfect to get my 190lbs up and out of the water. Starboard has a good system, their only problem is production, I couldn’t get another parts last year so ended up selling my system for an Armstrong. Maybe they’ve ramped up their factories this year.

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 07:33:42 PM »
At 230 you probably want to start on something 2000cm2 +. Another question is what kind of wind can you expect? If it's light you should probably look more towards 2400cm2, which probably isn't out of the question anyway. For now worry about the foil size more than shape, you'll get another foil later and this one will become your light wind set up. Another thing to consider is that when you buy a foil, it's like buying a cordless power tool set. The brand matters more than the specific tool because you're buying into a system.

I'm 200# and this was my starting set up: Axis 1060bsc(1800cm2)/440, 75 cm mast, Naish s26 hover board 125l (body weight in kg +35l), 6m Wasp v2 wing. For me this set up works great in the 13-20+ kt range. I have no issues with the wing power until 20 kts or so. I am switching to the f one strike wings after playing with one. I like the feel better and the reported upwind ability matters a lot to me.
AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal