Author Topic: Foil Teather  (Read 2129 times)

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foil Teather
« on: July 26, 2021, 07:13:02 AM »
Is anyone attaching a small line from the foil mast to the back of their board.    I have a Exocet RF 81 and 93 cm Slingshot mast and considering it.   Any Ideas ?

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil Teather
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »
I have a small line with a loop in it attached to the base plate on my mast.  When I put the mast on, I attach my leash to the leash string on my board and the line to  my mast.  If the box rips out, the foil will still be attached to board by my leash.  I've had 2 friends have their whole foil sink to bottom after boxes break.  One was able to dive the 8 ft and get his back, the other was towing a mile out to sea. Axis aluminum sinks...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 06:51:45 PM »
I did is too til I was solid on my boxes. I probably should put it back on. lol

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »
I have a small line with a loop in it attached to the base plate on my mast.  When I put the mast on, I attach my leash to the leash string on my board and the line to  my mast.  If the box rips out, the foil will still be attached to board by my leash.  I've had 2 friends have their whole foil sink to bottom after boxes break.  One was able to dive the 8 ft and get his back, the other was towing a mile out to sea. Axis aluminum sinks...

Axis fuselage with wing and tail floats--if the mast isn't attached. Been there, done that, got the parts back. I calculate that the aluminum mast should float if no water gets in. It's a near thing, but it should.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
Axis fuselage with wing and tail floats--if the mast isn't attached. Been there, done that, got the parts back. I calculate that the aluminum mast should float if no water gets in. It's a near thing, but it should.

Easy enough question to test. I think the biggest variable is the fuselage. I also wonder if Ti screws are enough to tip the balance in you favor in some cases.
AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »

[/quote]

tell that to my two friends that both had their whole setups sink to the bottom...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 08:17:37 PM »

tell that to my two friends that both had their whole setups sink to the bottom...
[/quote]

they probably sank very slowly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal