Author Topic: New Naish Matador.  (Read 3349 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Naish Matador.
« on: July 27, 2021, 04:46:12 AM »
I’ve been wanting one of these for ages and today I got what I wanted..

So different to the S25/26 wing.. So much more power.. Bigger handles.. and smaller windows.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: New Naish Matador.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 07:46:44 AM »
Looks good DJ.  I'd love to hear more details about how it is different.  Advantages/disadvantages.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:18:06 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:53:45 AM »
What is up with naish and always so many handles? That wing looks like it would be great if it just had 2 long handles like ensis.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:57:54 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

Unbelievable to me that folks are still leaving a huge gap in the hand strapping right in the middle. I would immediately be installing a mini boom on this wing..

Can anyone think of a good reason to skip one or two handles?.. Dont tell me weight. !

-red

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 07:31:52 PM »
Red, once you get to the balance point of holding one handed I personally don’t see a reason to have a handle in there. My back hand is pretty much all the way back 95% of the time.

I guess to be neighborly and learn something  I should ask if you put your back hand really close to the front handle or do you use the leading edge handle and a mid handle when riding? I may be missing a good riding position with my F-one (3 strut handles) and BRM (2 strut handles.) Minimal feels good but I know I could be missing something. What’s the benefit of more handles in your style of riding?

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 10:01:50 PM »
Surfcowboy, I’m finding I use the middle handle of my Smik wings quite a bit downwinding. If I don’t  have quite enough wind strength, glide or wave size (time) to grab the leading edge handle,  the middle handle is a perfect alternative, I grab it with my back hand.
Actually quite like that they have left the gap, means fitting a mini boom will be nice and clear without the middle handle getting in the way. The normal handle is always a bit squirmy to control the wing one handed from that point IMO.
Have a look at Dominic Hoskins ‘Winging in 7 - 9 knots’ on YouTube and you will get the idea.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5oWy_bQP7fs&feature=share

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 06:27:08 AM »
Cowboy, I feel that I need the middle gab handles or miniboom, mainly when I am climbing up to stand. The distance to grab the back handles is too much of a stretch and having the miniboom and or middle handles alleviates this. Without the middle handles and or a miniboom, you'd better be ready for the power when you reach for the back handles. Maybe its just me only having 40 some odd sessions on the wing. I am back and forth jibing, not tacking yet. Pop up immediately to foil etc..

There is also a one handed middle of the boom stand up move that Alan Cadiz does.

JonathanC, also mentioned a kind of neutral flying use case. I have also one handed my SLing 5'4 with the miniboom. Great feeling, total control, and gave my other arm a rest.

I cant believe I/we are still typing about this gap. dont... "fall into the gap
.."

-red

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 01:14:13 AM »
I loved it.. I liked it so much I went and bought a 3m and hope to try it out tomorrow..

It's noticeable more powerful than the standard WingSurfer.. Bigger handles.. Smaller windows.. But I don't think it's a good wing for learners or the inexperienced..

I was using the 5m Matador in 15-25knots and it felt like a 6 or 7m in power at times.. I can use my normal S25 wing all day without feeling the need for a harness but after an hour or so with the Matador I was feeling the need for a harness.. It gets you up on the foil quicker for sure but I don't think the wind range or ease in gusts is as good..

This new wing is designed for use in the surf and downwinding where the idea is to get up on the foil quick and then let the wing float off the front handle as you surf waves or runners.. I'm guessing the smaller windows is to help make the wing stronger when falling and being dumped in the surf and if it spends most of the time floating off the front handle windows are not that nessesarry..

I found the windows worked well but you often have to move the wing slightly to see though them so learner or wingers that sail in crowded areas are much better off with the normal WingSurfer wing.. Safety wise..

I think the handle configuration is perfect.. I used the front handle when depowering and off the wind and second front when basting along and going up wind.. Same with the rear.. First when going off the wind and second going up wind.. A friend who has one is using a harness and often uses the very rear handle going upwind with the harness.. I don’t find the gap in the middle a problem but attaching a mini boom across the 2nd and 3rd would fix that issue for some..

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 04:19:02 AM »
Excellent review DJ. Very useful info.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 08:04:39 AM »
Thx for the review. And thanks to the guys for info on middle handle stuff. I’m not jibing and I can see how that could help when not cranking powered up ( I’m usually not either.)

That one handed thing is nice too.

One thing I do when getting up is use my front hand on the leading edge and my back on the first strut handle. That helps me get a little push and balance before I switch back to full grip. So much to learn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal