Author Topic: if you could only have one board (2021 version)  (Read 11567 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: if you could only have one board (2021 version)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 07:21:11 PM »
I am going to put in a vote for an unusual choice; the Tabou Supa-Surf 9'0 X 31.5 @ 145 liters. If conditions are perfect, I love my 8'7" X 30.5" @120 liter Sunova Flow, and if they are pretty good I like my Blue Planet All Good 8'8" X 31 @120 liters, but if I am going out in rough conditions or traveling to unknown conditions I will grab the Tabou every time. Super stable, a long flat in the center for paddling speed, the pulled in nose has good nose kick for hollow waves, and a nice narrow tail that allows it to turn like a much smaller board. If the surf reaches double OH, the Tabou handles it well with great paddling speed for the takeoff and rocketing down the line because of the flat area in the rocker. If the surf is tiny, it sits high enough in the water to be able to crank tight turns without burying a rail like smaller boards tend to do. If my technique is sloppy, the Tabou will out-surf all my other boards. Far more stable and better turning than the 8'10" Speeed I used to have.
Like the OP, I still have an old Starboard Element 9'8" that I loan to beginners and use to SUP wavesail. I think that something like the 9' Tabou will fill in that all-conditions board you are looking for.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 11:10:36 AM »
@nalu-sup Never heard of Tabou before, but sounds like it would fit my needs very well... stable in chop, short enough and good tail shape to turn easily, good nose rocker to fit into a steep beach break wave. Not sure where I could even get one which leads me to wonder if anyone else is making an identical board...

Anyone else wanna chime in with their "if I could only own one board" opinions? Keep em coming... I love these "quiver of one" topics no matter what the sport.
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 10:21:29 PM »
Northshore- If you decide you want to hunt down a Tabou to try, it is a French brand designed by a windsurf board designer. The trick is to find someone who carries the Tabou windsurf boards, and see if they also carry their SUPS. That is how I found mine.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 07:59:16 AM »
anyone else have an absolute favorite board that they could not live without? just curious! cheers!
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
I use pretty much one board. My tag line says it all.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 10:51:00 AM »
After careful consideration this Summer, I would still go with a GenRation (Sunova) Kanga. I might drop to 9' or 9'3" instead of the 9'6" but it really is a 'do everything' board.  mush, clean, chop, wind, small, big, it does them all admirably.  I'm constantly surprised at just how well this board handles everything.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »
Like many others, I pretty much solely foil so could put my foil board which could handle any condition... but I suspect this is really about SUP Surfing, so if I am not foiling, my Laird 9'0x29.5x113L does it all from 1 foot to overhead.  Such a perfect size for my 175lbs.  In fact I sold all my other SUPs other than this one and an 8'10 Surrator that doesn't get ridden much at the moment.

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »
anyone else have an absolute favorite board that they could not live without? just curious! cheers!

Yup.
But as an ex-sponsor, I have lost my voice here.  :-\

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 04:45:44 PM »

Yup.
But as an ex-sponsor, I have lost my voice here.  :-\

That's too bad Creek :( Your info is always valuable an your videos priceless. Let me guess, GenRation (Sunova) Kanga?
in progress...

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 03:31:04 PM »
Bill Foote 10' Triton. I don't have a bunch of references but I've had this board since 2015 and am still having a blast on it. Board made me a better surfer and it is not holding me back.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 07:27:37 AM »
Bill Foote designed a line of boards for 808 Boards that were very similar to the Triton. I surfed a 9'8" for a couple of weeks on Maui a few years ago, still one of my favorite all around boards.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 08:56:09 AM »
Actually the 808 boards are just the Triton production boards relabeled. Bill did a deal with them when he couldn't afford to bring in container loads. The Triton boards are a revelation--big(ish) boards that turn and surf as if they were much smaller. I can turn harder on my 10'4" than I can on my 9'. Of course if you really want to crank up your surfing the L41 mini-sims boards turn a faker like me into a high-speed wave slasher, but it's a lot harder to learn to surf one of those than it is to look good on a Triton.

My one board choice would have to be the 10'4 for surfing, but really it's my Flying Dutchman 6'2" X 31 foil board. Great for surf foiling, good for winging. But I'm never going to have just one Flying Dutchman.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:00:55 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Flying Walrus

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 08:36:22 PM »
By the way northshore_slider, this is a good post. Pretty sure something from PonoBill on this forum led me to the Bill Foote Triton back in 2015 and that turned out to be a blessing. Have learned a lot here and appreciate the folks who offer their insight. A thrill to picture them charging in their own ways at their respective spots. Plus, surfboards are just straight up beautiful.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2021, 06:08:46 AM »
Actually the 808 boards are just the Triton production boards relabeled. Bill did a deal with them when he couldn't afford to bring in container loads. The Triton boards are a revelation--big(ish) boards that turn and surf as if they were much smaller. I can turn harder on my 10'4" than I can on my 9'. Of course if you really want to crank up your surfing the L41 mini-sims boards turn a faker like me into a high-speed wave slasher, but it's a lot harder to learn to surf one of those than it is to look good on a Triton.

My one board choice would have to be the 10'4 for surfing, but really it's my Flying Dutchman 6'2" X 31 foil board. Great for surf foiling, good for winging. But I'm never going to have just one Flying Dutchman.

Bill, if one wanted a Triton how to go about getting one.  808 just lists boards for rent.  I presume someone could make a custom version at a premium price.

If the L41 is so great, how would one try to get the best of both?  Wider tail on a longer board in lighter weight?  Have tried a few in the 8'6" size and found them slow to paddle, easy to turn, with much smaller wave count.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2021, 01:52:52 PM »

Bill,

Found a source for the Triton 10 x 32 x ? and 10/4 x 34 x ? shaped by Bill Foote

If the carbon is only a pound of two lighter, what other reasons to buy that more costly construction?

https://flightboardshawaii.com/triton/

Description of the boards quite well done:

Unlike most boards designed for larger surfers, this board has low volume (thin) rails for maximum surfing performance.

The Triton Series, designed by Bill Foote, consists of a 10’0” x 32” and a 10’4” x 34”, are all-around performance boards for larger surfers or surfers wanting a super stable board.  In fact, Bill designed the 10’0” x 32” with himself in mind; he wanted a board that had the width and volume for stability and confidence in the lineup, yet was loose and free-wheeling in the surf.  Unlike most boards designed for larger surfers, this board has low volume (thin) rails for maximum surfing performance.

The Triton has a balanced template with a pulled-in tail, a fair amount of nose rocker, and substantial tail rocker that breaks (starts) at an area in front of the fins.  The board bottom is flat with a slight vee that peaks in that same area where the tail rocker breaks.  This blending of the vee peaking and the rocker breaking creates a perfect sweet spot for rapid and fluid turns with the flat area behind the fins designed to increase the speed out of turns.  This big board is LOOSE!! The Tritons come in a 4 Futures Fins and 10” center box fin configuration.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal