Author Topic: Melted it. I'm an idiot.  (Read 9007 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Melted it. I'm an idiot.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 08:50:41 AM »
Looks Great! It was meant to be. You learned a lot along the way, and you've got a new and improved board:) The white is the way to go. Get out there and paddle before the water turns to ice.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 01:29:44 PM »
Looks Great! It was meant to be. You learned a lot along the way, and you've got a new and improved board:) The white is the way to go. Get out there and paddle before the water turns to ice.
You might hate it :D the white is Rustoleum and rolled on with a foam roller. I was worried it would be chipping but I wacked it a good number of times on my 5k and I had to really look. I think a layer of rail tape will keep it nice. The sides are extra strong now as that is all overlapped on the original CF/Fiberglass. I will finally be able to pose on Flatwater /Touring again. The ends needed to be white to hide 1. the fact my bottom cloth was too short and I didn't want to add weeks and $$ to repair/just wanted to use what was available 2. the front bow area is a combo of the piece and not figuring out how to fold it over the complex-ish shape so I filled with glass-balloons and expoxy. There are a few spots of fuzzy Innegra showing thru the paint - I'm going to try 400/1200/1600 wet sand to clear it up then roll on some more Rustoleum. I chose a bunch of 1 inch leash mountes on the board to be tie-downs - too small for the 1/4 bunji cord I have - some 1/8 is on order - but finally I will be able to tie on a dry bag of gear front n back. I have 4 1.5" mounts and another 10 1" mounts that will end up on the Hobie. Hobie is next - it got some weird peeling problem on the nose over the winter - it started releasing the epoxy off of the carbon while stored outside at up to -40f - I suspect a repair was not well saturated up on the front - I'm going to modify it to have a storage for a big triangular waterproof bag I have that will fill most of the front end, al la the hollow storage like Joe Bark built into Karl Kruger's NW Passage Sup. Huge thanks to Ben at Alaska Paddle Company for his time, help, and the space to do all this work. I told him I will help the next few canoes he builds.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »
Most of my repairs are done with a simple Rattle Can and what ever clear sealer I have in a Rattle Can as well:) Like I had said in one of my posts, Hobie used concrete sealer as the finish on most of their custom boards. It will lift and delam for various reasons. It's like a cancer on one of my Hobies. I've given up on it, and now just chip off the flaking edges, sand the transition and paint it with a Rattle Can. I would have to sand the entire board down to the glass and re-hot coat the whole board. It's not worth it. It's a beater that gets used a lot and it doesn't leak. Just looks very used.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal