Author Topic: Delta Variant is here...  (Read 23370 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Variant is here...
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2021, 05:44:45 PM »
Impressive stuff Bill.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2021, 07:54:59 AM »
Wow, the anti-vaccine rap now is that the vaccines don't work because there are breakthroughs. There's no upper bound for stupidity. Delta is 1000 times more transmissible. Put a few hundred people in a confined space with one unmasked, unvaccinated covid-infected person for a few hours and they are going to get beaucoup virus. 1000 times more virus in the spreader's respiratory system, getting sprayed everywhere with every cough, sneeze, loud laugh, or breath.

From here it gets uglier. Vaccine mandates (because the government doesn't rule by persuasion), mask mandates, and in the fall--2020 redux.

Shit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2021, 08:21:58 AM »
At least you don't live in FL!

Desantis wants to kill everyone..👽
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2021, 10:31:25 AM »
Giving people the option of weekly Covid tests as an alternative to vaccination will immediately double the vaccination rate. I had a Covid test today to clear me for a colonoscopy on Thursday. Yikes. I forgot how uncomfortable that is. If the testers go just a little deeper up my nose they'd be swabbing where my tonsils used to be. My eyes watered for ten minutes. Colonoscopy? No big deal. Covid test? No thank you. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »
It's like trying to diagnose a problem with car that has a flat tire. There are no vaccinated people being hospitalized. If you've been vaccinated and you get it like my wife, her co-workers, and our friends kids, the symptoms are almost nothing to a 24hr fever, some congestion and a temporary loss of taste and smell. That's it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:01:21 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
ive worn my mask when inside among people without interruption, and ive was double pfizer vaxed months ago

there is no downside at all from wearing a mask, and it may help
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »
It's like trying to diagnose a problem with car that has a flat tire. There are no vaccinated people being hospitalized. If you've been vaccinated and you get it like my wife, her co-workers, and our friends kids, the symptoms are almost nothing to a 24hr fever, some congestion and a temporary loss of taste and smell. That's it.

And, the Delta variant, while more contagious, has symptoms that aren't as virulent as the original?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2021, 11:11:10 AM »

And, the Delta variant, while more contagious, has symptoms that aren't as virulent as the original?

Actually no, though it's been widely reported as otherwise. The treatment of Covid patients has progressed enormously since the first spooky days. One treatment that helps people who are sinking fast is monoclonal antibodies. They are less effective with Delta. Also, there appears to be substantially more and varied organ damage, which is bad news for younger patients. The D950 mutation is likely the culprit though either the far greater viral load (1000 times more) and immune storms might be the culprits, or just contribute to the mess. Separating out something as subjective as "less virulent" from all the other factors is not easy.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2021, 07:03:59 AM »
Elanor Roosevelt said, "Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility..."

In this pandemic it could not be more clear, we have the responsibility and the means, to protect each other.  Shirking the vaccine is an abdication of our responsibility and along with it, our freedoms.

We protect our freedoms by exercising responsible judgement, or we allow our freedoms to be eroded by additional laws and regulations.  We self-regulate responsibly or become regulated. 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:06:11 AM by Bean »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2021, 02:27:11 AM »
Elanor Roosevelt said, "Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility..."

In this pandemic it could not be more clear, we have the responsibility and the means, to protect each other.  Shirking the vaccine is an abdication of our responsibility and along with it, our freedoms.

We protect our freedoms by exercising responsible judgement, or we allow our freedoms to be eroded by additional laws and regulations.  We self-regulate responsibly or become regulated.

That is a great post, Bean.  This goes way beyond masks and vax.  It is both sides.  Rights and Freedoms?  We have politicians that are paralyzed on so many issues.  I am on board with the underlying issues of BLM, but to the point that non stop protests have our cities boarded up (leaving out the defund lunacy)?   I get the difficulties of the Homeless crisis, but to the point where parks, businesses, and city blocks are crippled and the entirety becomes a dump site?  Liberties and rights are not endless.  Many that are commonly repeated never existed.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2021, 08:14:53 AM »
Over the last few days government agencies and private businesses have started to mandate vaccination for employees. The backlash has been interesting. For example there are nurses all over social media posting long messages about going from "heroes" of the pandemic to villains, because of their vax status. As I stated above earlier in this thread I only know a few unvaccinated people, 1 is a nurse, the other two had Covid.

I mean the government really doesn't have any other bullets left in the chamber regarding this (outside of the point of a spear), they certainly have botched the roll out and the advertising. The people who haven't got the shot who are in healthcare are likely not getting it because of a pretty specific reason, and so forcing them to vax, may be a bit tricky. I mean, you can't have nurses walk off the job if on the other hand we are saying that hospitals are overwhelmed.

My feeling is if you create a mandate and only 60% of the people mandated actually follow it (masks, vax etc). It is a garbage mandate to begin with. Try something else. Something like saying "when we reach 70% vax we will have no further restrictions, ever" and stick to it. The problem is no one really believes them on any account.

Now we are circling back towards masks and lockdowns which have done little good, at great cost (dividing our society). When a simple free vaccine is available everywhere.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
My feeling is if you create a mandate and only 60% of the people mandated actually follow it (masks, vax etc). It is a garbage mandate to begin with.

It is necessary and overdue.  I have zero problem with presenting the unvaccinated and unmasked with the long list of things that they will not be allowed to do.  They are welcome to make their vaccination choice but they alone will live with it - or not.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:09:52 AM by Admin »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2021, 10:33:49 AM »
An oak bookcase placed at the curb with a FREE sign on it will garner no interest, while the same piece with $10 price tag will be snatched-up immediately.

I'm sure if we started shipping out our supply (and we should to the extent possible), some fence-sitters might take notice.   

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2021, 11:40:06 AM »
My feeling is if you create a mandate and only 60% of the people mandated actually follow it (masks, vax etc). It is a garbage mandate to begin with.

It is necessary and overdue.  I have zero problem with presenting the unvaccinated and unmasked with the long list of things that they will not be allowed to do.  They are welcome to make their vaccination choice but they alone will live with it - or not.

That’s fucked up Admin. You would have loved being in the USSR. Don’t ask me how I know.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »
Yes, your right to infect and host mutation is being trampled on.  Just like it was in the USSR :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM