Author Topic: Delta Variant is here...  (Read 23515 times)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Delta Variant is here...
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2021, 08:39:03 PM »
I think that all public businesses should voluntarily post a sign that states the percentage of how many of their employees are vaccinated. I have a right to know if a restaurant's, retail store, dentist's office, what ever, business's employees are vaccinated. I can then use that information to determine how safe I'll feel using that business.
If you feel unsafe you should stay home. There are bunch of ways now how you can successfully enjoy your life in your house without exposing yourself to a dangerous world. And no, you don’t have that right to know…
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2021, 08:44:44 PM »

Also, only dealing with vaccinated people insures you're dealing with people that have some common scene. In other words, I want to avoid unvaccinated people for more reasons than being safe.

Another not really bright statement. I hope we’ll never cross paths, I am cool with that.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2021, 09:39:41 PM »

Wearing the cheesy masks most of us wear has always been more about preventing you from spreading virus-filled snot than preventing you from breathing virus-filled snot. Given how marvelously altruistic Americans are it's always been wise to infer otherwise.
Some of the doctors that work with my wife at the hospital think the masks are mostly preventing people from touching their mouth and face. They touch a contaminated surface, then inadvertently touch their face. We all do it. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Carpediem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2021, 02:28:48 AM »
Also, only dealing with vaccinated people insures you're dealing with people that have some common scene. In other words, I want to avoid unvaccinated people for more reasons than being safe.

In this large, population-based study conducted in Catalonia, Covid mortality rates were cut by more than half in the vitamin D (cholecalciferol or, even better, calcifediol) suplementation groups. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8285728/ (infection rates were also affected, but by smaller ammounts)

These results are not being propagandised 24/7. But, since the information is out there, I reserve the right to think that relatively educated people unaware of their 25OHD levels (which can be related to a myriad of other illnesses as well) don't exercise optimum reasoning. I'm not saying it's the only thing one should do, there is a bunch of complementary ways to promote a strong immune system.. even though I have no problem "dealing" with, for example, sedentary people who eat trash food compulsively.

Assuming scene was a typo for sense in the quote above, I have to say that the english expression "common sense" has always amazed me for how powerfully meaningful it is. I mean, in other languages something like "good sense" is used instead. But I think the term "common" is actually much more appropriate.
Me: 75kg
Board: Indiana 74l
Wings: Swing V2 5m, Takoon 4m
Foils: Gong Veloce L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2021, 07:34:34 AM »
There are about 7.8 billion ways to die since we're all going to do it. Covid is just the currently most talked about and surprisingly avoidable one. It's almost perfectly aimed at the human psyche, killing mostly old or immune-compromised people--the folks closest to the front of the line, but being spread enthusiastically by those who rarely die from it. It's easy for someone young and uncompromised to make a case for being unvaccinated and eating Tumeric instead--"it's not going to hurt me. Grandma is gonna die anyway". Only epidemiologists care about the herd or the fact that a few million people will have their lives shortened. Most people just don't.

We all manage to forget that a majority of Americans thought peace with the Nazis was acceptable and that we shouldn't intervene in World War Two. Almost 30% felt we shouldn't even sell England France and Poland food! :

Americans' Support for Assisting England, France and Poland
How far should we go in helping England, France and Poland ...
                                                                                                              Yes    No
                                                                                                               %    %
Should we sell them food supplies?                                                              74    27
Should we sell airplanes and other war materials to England and France?        58    42
Should we send our Army and Navy abroad to fight against Germany?            16    84
Gallup, Sept. 1-6, 1939

We didn't just start being shortsighted and "all about me" recently. It would be nice if government actually governed, but currently, it doesn't. The only persuasion currently being exercised is "re-elect me".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:46:17 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »
Great post Pbill.

The "governing" regarding this pandemic has just been high ranking bureaucrats lurching around from pillar to post. Walk into your average county health department. Look around at the people and have a conversation with a couple of them and then ask yourself the question: "Do I want these people to have more control of my life?"

The media has done a great job on a lot of people regarding this vaccine.  Tom's attitude that the unvaccinated are nothing but idiotic disease ridden vermin, is pretty pervasive.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
Here are the current maps of vaccination percentages by state.  It isn't a matter of being derogatory.  There are simply areas and populations that require a lot of improvement.  You may want to ask, are those the people that I want in control of my life?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/vaccine-tracker

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:04:36 AM by Admin »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »
We all manage to forget that a majority of Americans thought peace with the Nazis was acceptable and that we shouldn't intervene in World War Two.
Lest someone think the US were composed of Nazi sympathizers, it's important to know that the US was going through an isolationist period after the crash of '29 when those polls were taken.  And although as a nation, along with the rest of the free world, we should have known better, the fact is, as a group we didn't.  The news from Europe didn't penetrate, we were too busy sorting out domestic issues.  By the time the evidence was better presented, we were in denial.  Sounds a little too damned familiar for sure.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »
Now I certainly did not plan on giving the impression that...
the unvaccinated are nothing but idiotic disease ridden vermin
But I have yet to hear a logical reason why a person would chose to not be vaccinated.

So, do you believe the average county health worker is nothing but idiotic healthy vermin.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2021, 01:34:26 PM »
I believe the average county worker is someone who's job is to keep their job. Which means unblinkingly following chain of command. I have many friends who work for the government, smart people who know exactly how to keep their jobs.

My point all along is that I don't want anyone interfering with my and my family's health decisions, because a society is far too complex for blanket mandates and recommendations to ever work.

Average employee in the CDC and FDA has one primary goal and it is the continuance of the CDC and FDA with their jobs intact.

I am seeing a lot of this vaccines or negative tests required to be at work stuff coming out. I'm into it, I can treat my employees like cattle. Forcing them to get shots, and next I can get them on Ritalin, or sudafeds, whatever it takes to increase production.
Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2021, 07:49:53 PM »
We all manage to forget that a majority of Americans thought peace with the Nazis was acceptable and that we shouldn't intervene in World War Two.
Lest someone think the US were composed of Nazi sympathizers, it's important to know that the US was going through an isolationist period after the crash of '29 when those polls were taken.  And although as a nation, along with the rest of the free world, we should have known better, the fact is, as a group we didn't.  The news from Europe didn't penetrate, we were too busy sorting out domestic issues.  By the time the evidence was better presented, we were in denial.  Sounds a little too damned familiar for sure.

From the history I've read, the US had plenty of Nazi sympathizers. I will never know enough to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff of US history, so I mostly just look at numbers. I think if I were a pollster I'd think even less of the average run of humanity.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2021, 08:06:15 PM »
Now I certainly did not plan on giving the impression that...
the unvaccinated are nothing but idiotic disease ridden vermin
But I have yet to hear a logical reason why a person would chose to not be vaccinated.

So, do you believe the average county health worker is nothing but idiotic healthy vermin.

Carpediem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2021, 04:37:25 AM »
Only epidemiologists care about the herd or the fact that a few million people will have their lives shortened.

A strong immune system can not only protect an individual against illnesses, but, in the case of viruses, help to prevent asymptomatic infection (and consequently transmission) as well.

In the study linked in my previous post, Vitamin D suplementation lowered SARS-CoV2 infection numbers by 40%. Unfortunately results like this are not promoted enough.
Me: 75kg
Board: Indiana 74l
Wings: Swing V2 5m, Takoon 4m
Foils: Gong Veloce L

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2021, 07:12:22 AM »

From the history I've read, the US had plenty of Nazi sympathizers. I will never know enough to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff of US history, so I mostly just look at numbers. I think if I were a pollster I'd think even less of the average run of humanity.

You say that you mostly look at the numbers, but the polls don't tell us what percentage of the US population were Nazi sympathizers in 1939.  So, your statement that the US had plenty of Nazi sympathizers is really based on inference.  (admittedly, you might be right depending on how you characterize "plenty")

I happen to think most Americans and especially those of the the WWII generation are/were pretty good people overall.

You're a marketing guy, what would you have done/or do differently to sell the vaccine?  And, I don't want to hear "you can't fix stupid"...

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2021, 08:22:55 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal