Author Topic: Reef Rash leads to Illness  (Read 5526 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Reef Rash leads to Illness
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 03:35:54 PM »
glad to hear you are mending! I use bacitracin or triple antboitic creme on every reef cut. Make sure to get the coral out first and wash it well with copious water.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 08:47:45 PM »
Good news!

And second on the peroxide. Clean up with it if you want but most docs now say soap and water. Peroxide indeed hurts new skin cells.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 12:56:41 PM »
You may want to try cleaning the skin daily with tea tree oil soap. 
https://www.beautyglimpse.com/8-amazing-benefits-tea-tree-oil-soap/
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 10:15:16 PM »
I guess without a culture, we won't really know what caused it. But I can tell you that I've probably had over 100 reef abrasions with zero illness. Ditto everyone I've surfed with here over the years. Cleaned with a toothbrush and HP. Then slathered in antibiotic ointment, keeping it "wet" until it feels semi-healed. Never stayed out of the water because of it.

I can also tell you that ever time i visit Michigan and swim in a lake, I get sick... Strep or some other horror.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 07:37:53 AM »
Oki... As a kid I played on the other side of Lk. Michigan.  We had such delights as industrial waste, likely from a Coking plant, that looked and felt like Urchins if stepped upon.  On a concrete gang later, I helped stem a leak into the lake of acids used in steel production. The lakes were a convenient repository for c'hit that would have been inconveniently expensive to deal with for many major industries. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 09:34:11 PM »
Oki... As a kid I played on the other side of Lk. Michigan.  We had such delights as industrial waste, likely from a Coking plant, that looked and felt like Urchins if stepped upon.  On a concrete gang later, I helped stem a leak into the lake of acids used in steel production. The lakes were a convenient repository for c'hit that would have been inconveniently expensive to deal with for many major industries. 

Jim

Hey Jim. My sister in law is a biologist, and works for MSU. Part of her job is water sampling and tracking the heath of Kalamazoo area rivers and lakes. Even now, a century later, the damage from the paper mills is still there. The Kalamazoo river is clean and safe to swim in, but don't eat the fish because the river bed isn't... Another thing I've often wondered about is all the septic drainage fields for all the houses surrounding every small suburban lake  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal