Author Topic: Armstrong Foil Board Review  (Read 19662 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong Foil Board Review
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2021, 06:19:42 PM »
Windoctor,

I am looking at the 6'4 for straight sup foil surfing.  I am at 85 kg, but I want a little extra size because of where I will be using it.  Several places are a pretty good ways offshore and to handle the chop also on crappy days.  I understand a smaller board will be better once flying but I want some stability when chasing crap waves way out.  In all honestly, I wish they would make one size up even, around 6'10 to 7'0.  Beasho had mentioned this about where he foils at Mavericks, having a longer board for the board speed catching larger waves that are moving faster.  It seems just like the path that SUP surfing has taken.  Race to smaller boards that for performance took out a little of the fun factor.  People, including myself, have boards they only wanted to deal with on glassy days.  I am fine with a slightly bigger ride.  Just waiting to hear some feedback on them. New FG system sounds good. But they dont even arrive until Sept so it might be a minute or 2.

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 08:12:01 AM »
I think the 115 probably makes the most sense then. Cheers.  A 105L X 28 x 5.11 would be nice...
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 12:52:12 PM »
i now have a solid 9 days on the Armstrong 5'11".  I think it is an awesome board-only rode a few days when learning on other boards but a friend who has lots of experience rode it and loved it.  I do wish for winging I sized down one more size than I got but I will try and sup foil it later.  I think there is something to the bottom shape as touchdowns seem really easy to rebound off the chop and stay on foil.  construction is really good and the handle through the whole board is well thought out and deck pad is grippy without being abrasive.

rfhestdalen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 10:50:31 PM »
Great info.  A few questions.  Does anyone have experience with the F-one Rocket as well?  How would you compare the 2 boards?

Secondly, has anyone used Axis foils with this new Armstrong board?  It seems that this board may be specifically made for Armstrong foils and may not work so well with other foils such as Axis. 

And lastly, for those in the 95-100 kg weight range and wing foiling in light wind (inland lake conditions). Comparing the 115L to the 132L board, is there that much of an advantage with the bigger volume and longer boards?  Or can a 15+L board be just as effective getting up on foil as the 30-40L+ boards?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 03:09:38 AM »
It seems that this board may be specifically made for Armstrong foils and may not work so well with other foils such as Axis. 

Correct….not ideal for Axis.

I think the new Sky Wing boards will be announced real soon. Maybe wait on news of those. They will be a better fit.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:13:44 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 04:33:53 AM »
I am running Axis foils on my Armstrong Board...Again, I am a newbie but everything seems to be working great for me at this stage.  Using a 1060 and 860 front with a 440 rear shimmed.

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »
...Secondly, has anyone used Axis foils with this new Armstrong board?  It seems that this board may be specifically made for Armstrong foils and may not work so well with other foils such as Axis...
The tracks are so long in the new FG boards I don't know why you couldn't find the sweet spot for Axis or any other foil.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
I've been winging just over one year, and have been downsizing boards.  The Fone Rocket V2 (120L) was my first, then Quatro (105L), and now Armstrong (75L).  Taking volume out of the equation, I'd recommend the Rocket.  It's a good all around board, and works well in lite winds.  The other boards are good, but are more tapered.  These shapes are good for advanced riders, but are less stable.   Always used Armstrong 2400,  then 1850 or 1250 depending on wind speeds.  For your size, 120 L should suffice for Fone boards.  The stability increase for a larger volume is incremental, so not worth going bigger IMHO.     

Great info.  A few questions.  Does anyone have experience with the F-one Rocket as well?  How would you compare the 2 boards?

Secondly, has anyone used Axis foils with this new Armstrong board?  It seems that this board may be specifically made for Armstrong foils and may not work so well with other foils such as Axis. 

And lastly, for those in the 95-100 kg weight range and wing foiling in light wind (inland lake conditions). Comparing the 115L to the 132L board, is there that much of an advantage with the bigger volume and longer boards?  Or can a 15+L board be just as effective getting up on foil as the 30-40L+ boards?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:49:05 PM by Pasquales »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal