Author Topic: Armstrong Foil Board Review  (Read 19672 times)

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Re: Armstrong Foil Board Review
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 06:18:47 PM »
Ran the 1050 wing today for the first time on the 60L FG.  Tried it first at the 5 setting I’d been running the 1125 and immediately turned back to adjust back and nailed a crab pot on a blind gybe. Ended up trying a 2 setting and it felt great.  Running the A+ 60 fuse with FV200 and .5 degree shim. Wind was 10-20mph. 

Strapped up and got some rad dad credit card airs. The offset to the rail rear strap setting makes it comfy for straps. Finally!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

foiled again

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 09:09:28 PM »
Any pictures of your strap setup, VB_?

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 04:41:58 AM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:46:21 AM by VB_Foil »
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 05:31:30 AM »
Update after 5 session on my 75L board.  The shape works well with my HA foil and I am very pleased overall.  Finally a board on which I can stand as far forward as I want.  Really helps with hard carving and pumping.  Only minor negative is the handle.  There is no "ledge" to grip.

foiled again

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 07:10:14 AM »
thank you for the picture VB_. Reason I asked is that I need to stand farther forward than the windsurf pattern footstraps allow (for the moment). This is helpful.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »
thank you for the picture VB_. Reason I asked is that I need to stand farther forward than the windsurf pattern footstraps allow (for the moment). This is helpful.

Which tail shim are you running?  I think the more degrees you add, the more your stance will be able to shift back. 

You might notice in my photo that I have the widest setting possible running with straps, which allows and inch or so of movement for each foot.  When I would go for an air, I'd jam my back foot against the back strap and front foot against the front of the front strap.  Worked great!   Was able to land some maybe 2' foil out of the water airs and stay on foil on the landing.  Definitely will be getting in the air more, pretty addicting feeling. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 01:30:56 PM »
Here’s a little edit from today’s session on the 60L. Tide was ebbing with the wind so wasn’t ideal and didn’t stay out long. Wanted to ride swells but ground was lost in an instant and apparent wind would disappear to nothing. 

A few jump attempts on the 100cm mast and 1125 wing was fun! The long mast allows so much time to correct a breach. Watch the last air you’ll see what I mean. I think I needed to go to 1.5 degrees and move the mast forward a cm or two with that combo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSAHlSIA0si/?utm_medium=share_sheet
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:32:48 PM by VB_Foil »
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2021, 05:19:29 PM »
cool video.  fun to watch

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »

I noticed the boards include PVC Reinforcements and covered with carbon fiber and Dyneema cloth.

Anyone aware of dyneema cloth being used in other board layups? Sounds like a lighter/stronger replacement for the typical fiberglass cloth used as a top sheet in a layup. Pretty rad!  Dwight have any experience?
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 04:50:41 AM »

I noticed the boards include PVC Reinforcements and covered with carbon fiber and Dyneema cloth.

Anyone aware of dyneema cloth being used in other board layups? Sounds like a lighter/stronger replacement for the typical fiberglass cloth used as a top sheet in a layup. Pretty rad!  Dwight have any experience?

I’m aware of it, but have never seen it used in surfboards. It’s another fabric that is a nightmare to laminate, like Innegra is, so you won’t see many, if any, ever use it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 07:54:36 AM »
I tried .5 oz Dyneema fabric once back when it was called Cuban for a DSR (racecar) A-arm. What a total mess I made. If I were doing a vacuum-bagged board with no intention to sand anything near the Dyneema and no intention to ever repair then maybe I'd try it again, but I don't need giant hairballs that are nearly impossible to cut screwing up my life.

Actually, now that I think about it, it was for a body repair on the same car. I screwed up the A-arm all by myself. I can't believe I forgot that--what a disaster. Trying to save a few ounces and I had to cut out a substantial chunk of the body to get rid of it. Ridiculously expensive too--about 100 bucks a yard, takes special micro-serrated scissors or a laser to cut it.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:38:22 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 06:15:39 PM »
First session on the 75 L FG today.  Wind 10-12 knots but only had one hour to test.  Paired it with the 1850 (board setting #5), 72 mast, 232 tail +1.   

At 90 kgs, this board is definitely a sinker .  Took several tries figuring out how to balance underwater, then quickly getting the wing overhead and building speed.   It wasn’t too bad to be honest, before I knew it I was standing on the board taxiing for takeoff.  To help with pumping, one front strap was installed.  This helped big time.  Just needed a couple of pumps to break the surface.   I was surprised by the ease of lift, as normally I’d have to pump much harder on my 105 L Quatro.

What really stood out was the handling.  On a couple of rides, I pushed the foil fast and high, trying to ventilate.     As soon as the gurgle sound started, it was easy to correct to get the foil back down.  Turning also feels different. The board seemed easier to lean over and go further upwind.   On gibes the lower swing weight definitely makes a huge difference, making for a much tighter arc. 

The bad part.  The smaller board  exposed some weakness.   Much harder to get standing goofy foot.  Part of this was due to weak wind and not having much tension in the wing to help on the pull up.  But another factor was   the grip pad stops 6 inches from the board edge.  For taller guys especially when getting up from a kneel, a longer grip pad helps.   I tend to put pressure on the top of my back foot.  This helps in balancing when bringing the front foot forward.  On a few attempts, my back foot slid around causing unnecessary falls. Hopefully with more practice and more wind, this awkward feeling will go away.   

Overall, I’m impressed with how loose the board feels in turns and by the initial lift.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 06:58:38 PM »
That’s some light wind Pasquales!  At -15L, you are definitely going to want some tension in the wing for balance. Interesting what you said about difficulty riding switch stance (schlogging), as I still need to dedicate some learning to that and I’ve just sold my 105L (doh!)

I’ll clone post from my seabreeze post here as well   ;)

Caught a fun downwind/shore runner session today on the 60L paired with the 1125, 85 mast, fv200 with 1.5 degree shims (so +.5) at a mast setting of 5.5. Wind was 14-18knts and ran a 5M wing. First ocean session on the board and it went insane. The bumpier conditions required dedicated concentration to get up and moving, but all in all pretty straightforward. Mostly got going on my toeside, which is tricky

Half mile out the thermals were pairing up nicely with the small underlying swell and I definitely got my longest downwind glides without using the wing. Power dinging into swells and at swells before cranking cutbacks as hard as I dared.mind blown! Finally getting the feel for cranking the board the opposite direction of inertia, flowing into and through turns, rather than riding on top of the board and letting the turns happen. Hard to do at a lightweight 65kgs. Getting your COG over the down hill rail after a wrapping cutback to bank back the other direction feels amazing. The board and 1125 definitely helping!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 08:22:29 AM »
Any 90+ kg riders on here SUP foiling these boards yet? I currently ride a Sunova Aviator (6.4, 115L)  which has been great for my progression but now feels giant for winging and OK for SUP foiling, but the aft box position is not ideal for Armstrong foils, making pumping a chore. Strap position is too far forward on this board for SUPfoiling as well relative to the foil. Time to move on. Wondering if I can get away with the 99L Armstrong FG or am I better off keeping to the 115L version since I paddle in chop and current often? Are these boards pretty stable for their size? How do they paddle?
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
VB_Foil - Yep lite winds are the norm in SoCal so I'm open to any tips to get low volume boards moving.  It was a real eye opener standing up, then realizing you're standing on a submerged board.  Just a different mental calculation trying to get the water drained quickly and start moving.   

Winddoctor - I'm definitely not one to ask about SUP foiling.   I'd suggest listening to James Casey's comments on SUP.  He's a heavier guy (relative to most surfers which isn't saying much).  His advice - do not to go too low in volume and board size around 6'0" were best.  Of course he rides for SUNOVA and helped develop their SUP line so keep that in mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal