Author Topic: Armstrong Foil Board Review  (Read 19664 times)

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Armstrong Foil Board Review
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 04:47:03 PM »
We have a 75l and 88l arriving next week.  May be the first ones at the Gorge

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 05:41:37 PM »
Good to know Phil's.  Lemme know how they ride, I'm strongly considering getting the both of those sizes as well.  I weigh 90 kgs, so going back and forth.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 07:03:12 PM »
I’m famous! Check out my cameo in the review riding the BRM.

I threatened not to give back the demo unless it was a trade for a new board so I was able to get a board early release. Sharing some footage for the review helped I think.

Weight wise it’s 10.1 lbs compared to my 74L FSM at 10.8 lbs, so pretty light!  -5 liter/kgs and it feels great.

If I had unlimited time and resources, I don’t think I could have come up with a better shape.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 07:45:01 PM »
Innovative forward geometry AND carbon stringers for $2000??!! Seems like putting lipstick on a pig 🐷 to me.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »
I’m famous! Check out my cameo in the review riding the BRM.

I threatened not to give back the demo unless it was a trade for a new board so I was able to get a board early release. Sharing some footage for the review helped I think.

Weight wise it’s 10.1 lbs compared to my 74L FSM at 10.8 lbs, so pretty light!  -5 liter/kgs and it feels great.

If I had unlimited time and resources, I don’t think I could have come up with a better shape.

Nice clip of you Graham.  We seem to like similar stuff like the 1125 and BRM wings and I suspect this will also be true for the new boards.   Reported weights for the 75 L and 88 L are 5.2 and 5.8 kg, respectively. 

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 12:16:29 PM »
I got a 5'11" last week-only have two hours on it but am impressed with everything I have seen in light wing conditions thus far.  Suping this will be a challenge given my size I really like this board.  Sadly have to put it away for a few weeks given my schedule but look forward to getting back on it in August.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 09:51:00 AM »
Just pulled the trigger on a 5'2" 75 Liter.  It's completely different from  v.1, really like how concepts from One and Quatro were integrated.   

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 08:33:41 AM »
Link to the SUP/wing boards: https://www.armstrongfoils.com/wing-sup-boards/
Link to the wing/surf boards: https://www.armstrongfoils.com/wing-surf-boards/

I am fighting the urge!

foiled again

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 07:56:17 AM »
Have had three sessions on the 88. At a weight of 75kg, with almost a full wind season on the wing, was tempted to get the 75 but wing exclusively in SFBay/Golden Gate (Crissy) and decades of windsurfing there and limping back from the Bridge on my 80 liter Logosz Twintip windsurf board told me it may be more comfortable and safer to get the 88.
I am presently visiting a friend at the Gorge and was lucky enough to make this purchase. Board build is everything reviews have said. All sessions have been using the Armstrong 1250/232/0/60 fuse/85 mast/old setup (not the A+) at the Rowena/Dougs corridor late afternoon/early evening on a 4 meter Slingwing which is my smallest hand wing.  All sessions have been in blasting wind with monster gusts that can abruptly switch directions and decent size swell as you get towards the Washington side of the River.
The board has been a blast. Like heaven once you get balanced on foil. Getting on foil has taken a little getting use to. Body position must be much more forward than for other boards with ALOT of weight on front foot. And this is with the foil all the way back on the track! I am wondering if I will be able to use any front wing bigger than the 1250 on this board. Not complaining, just wondering if I should sell my other wing, an 1850, which I rarely use anyway. Also wondering if this board could make the HA 1125 much less challenging getting up on foil, as  some have indicated. Don't own that foil wing yet so no way to test and comment.
Bottom line, very happy with the purchase for the area I plan to use it. 

Esteban

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 08:04:56 AM »
The new FG Armstrong boards look amazing …do you feel there is more stability in a given volume when compared to a more standard shape? IOW does the shape contribute to added stability and the possibility of riding a lower volume board ?

foiled again

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »
Hard to comment on that Esteban. Didn't find this any more stable than my previous board of close to the same volume. Also, have been in pretty high wind at the Gorge where you could probably put a hydrofoil on a door and it would be stable. But if I lived at the Gorge I would be real comfortable getting the next size down.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »
Getting on foil has taken a little getting use to. Body position must be much more forward than for other boards with ALOT of weight on front foot. And this is with the foil all the way back on the track!

When I was developing my straight tail design, I immediately struggled with getting enough front foot pressure to control the wheelies on lift off. I really had to retrain myself to just chill a bit and let the board come up gently. The board just accelerates so much quicker than older shapes, it powers up your foil MEGA. I actually had to move my tracks back 2 full inches to tame the beast. It’s a good problem to have.

Throwing that out there in case it’s the same for you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:13:22 PM by Dwight (DW) »

wingsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 07:30:09 AM »
The new FG Armstrong boards look amazing …do you feel there is more stability in a given volume when compared to a more standard shape? IOW does the shape contribute to added stability and the possibility of riding a lower volume board ?

From my experience, no, there is not more stability. I went from a 95L Naish S26 5'7" to the 88L FG 5'5". I am 80 KG when I wake up, with gear probably 85/86. It may be the extra 7L, but the Naish 95L is easier to stand on, turn with my feet, and balance in low wind. In strong wind and chop I am managing well on the 88L but don't have the comfort/stability I had with the Naish.  If I stand a little too forward,  the front of the board can sink into the water.

I only have five sessions on the 88L FG board. It is significantly lighter. I am still trying to figure the board out. Mast position matters. I am winging with the 1550v1 foil and 300 tail with the 70 fuselage and 85 cm mast—the more forward the mast, indeed, the more lift. I am still trying to get the position dialed. The board design encourages a shorter stance, which I think is good, but I am also getting used to it.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »

From my experience, no, there is not more stability. I went from a 95L Naish S26 5'7" to the 88L FG 5'5". I am 80 KG when I wake up, with gear probably 85/86. It may be the extra 7L, but the Naish 95L is easier to stand on, turn with my feet, and balance in low wind. In strong wind and chop I am managing well on the 88L but don't have the comfort/stability I had with the Naish.  If I stand a little too forward,  the front of the board can sink into the water.

I only have five sessions on the 88L FG board. It is significantly lighter. I am still trying to figure the board out. Mast position matters. I am winging with the 1550v1 foil and 300 tail with the 70 fuselage and 85 cm mast—the more forward the mast, indeed, the more lift. I am still trying to get the position dialed. The board design encourages a shorter stance, which I think is good, but I am also getting used to it.

Which shim are you running? Going with a +1 may help with the forward mast positioning. The 70 fuse makes a more aft position more comfortable I think, so the plus 1 shim may help compensate. Try a 60 fuse if you can…will really loosen up your gybes.

I’m riding at a 5 mast position lately on the HA1125. I bet I would be at a 3 with your setup.

I’m at a -5L ratio and the nose can definitely go under if not careful. Oddly enough I always recover easily when that happens, without foot straps too.

I got in the pool with my demo without a foil immediately to check the buoyancy and man it was tippy could barely sit on it haha.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal