Author Topic: Bubble Trouble  (Read 2787 times)

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Bubble Trouble
« on: July 07, 2021, 05:12:42 PM »
I picked a new Naish Hover Ultra Carbon 125L about a month ago and a really like it. Today when I was about to get in the water at Coyote Point, I noticed a bubble had developed on the deck pad.  :( I know it wasn't there when I put it in the car and it's not a hot day. I live in HMB and it was 58F today and it was in the mid 60s at Coyote Point. I had it upside down in the rigging area so it wasn't in the sun when i pumped up my wing and put on my wetsuit. It was only upside down with the foil up in the rigging area for about 10 minutes or so.

Does anyone have advise on how to fix it? Any recommended repair videos?

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bubble Trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 06:35:25 PM »
File warranty claim. If it’s delam it’s cancer.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 08:03:54 PM »
Yeah, is this just rubber deck pad or the skin of the board?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:29:43 PM »
Look like a mole.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 01:40:24 AM »
My guess is there is a defect in the board under the pad, expanding air from the board is creating the bubble. Naish has always been good with warranty so definitely worth contacting your dealer.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 04:51:28 AM »
My guess is there is a defect in the board under the pad, expanding air from the board is creating the bubble. Naish has always been good with warranty so definitely worth contacting your dealer.
I am not understanding this.  Where is the air coming from?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:58:18 AM »
If it's just the pad rising up, the first thing I would do is take a knifepoint or something sharp and puncture it. Then try to push it back down. If it stays down, problem solved.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 07:57:02 AM »
Air expands when heated up.  It doesn’t have to be an especially hot day - if the board is stored nice and cool and then taken out into the sun, it will heat up.  Normally the air goes out the gore vent - but if there is a crack it’ll go out the crack easier than the vent.  You might have a crack under the deck pad and the air came out of the crack and bubbles up the deck pad (maybe).

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 08:42:10 AM »
Thanks, everyone. Now I am concerned that it might be a crack. Filing a warranty claim. Bummed because I've only had it on the water about 10 times.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 10:31:56 AM »
If it's just the pad rising up, the first thing I would do is take a knifepoint or something sharp and puncture it. Then try to push it back down. If it stays down, problem solved.

Yes, it could simply be trapped moisture under the pad. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »
It might be that they didn't clean the deck properly before sticking down the pad.  If there was any dust or grease on the deck in spots, the pad would not adhere well and start to lift.  Once air or moisture gets in, it then might expand with temperature fluctuations.

I can't imagine a crack having enough pressure behind it to lift the pad as long as the vent is working properly nor would I expect a delam bubble to rise so quickly.  Delams usually happen at a slow pace.  Also, the deck is the strongest part of the board aside from the foil box.  If it took a hit hard enough to crack it, there would likely be visible damage to the pad.  My guess is that the problem is with the deck pad not sticking and not the board itself, but I could be wrong.

I have the same board. So far no problems, but I've only used it a few times.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:07:55 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
yeah, sorry to make a scary prediction.  a crack is probably not the likely cause  - just saying that it is possible that a crack could cause this.  I agree that poorly adhered deck pad it the most likely explanation. 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 01:04:47 PM »
Have you checked with were you bought it from?
Looks definitely like a warranty to me because I’ve seen many of these board and never seen anything like this happen.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 03:53:38 PM »
Actually, my board is the GS construction, not the carbon. I just noticed the different tread pattern on the deck pad.

Let us know how it goes if you go through the warranty process.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »
Update: So I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they looked at it and determined that it's likely the deck pad coming unglued. Apparently, that is not covered under warranty by Naish. The person at the shop called his sales rep at Naish to confirm. I was concerned that if I slit the pad to let the air out and fix it myself that I would void the warranty, but apparently not according to the sales rep. So, I used an Exacto and cut a tiny slit, and pushed all the air out. I have a piece of scrap wood and a 5-gallon bucket of water sitting on it now that will hopefully help the glue that's under there keep it in place. if not, I'll have to cut a bigger hole and put some adhesive in there. The shop did let me know that the pics of the bubble I sent would help document if the problem got much worse.

I have a Naish Hokua SUP that I have ridden for 8 years and never a problem with bubbles. This board is only a month old. I really like it and hope the deck pad doesn't become an issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal