Author Topic: GONG stabilizer mods  (Read 2256 times)

FoilColorado

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
GONG stabilizer mods
« on: July 05, 2021, 08:30:49 AM »
So I really wanted to be able to try different stabs and angles of incidence with my GONG foil, but as most of you know, their stabs aren’t adjustable for angle. I purchased a piece of aluminum square tubing 1 1/4” x 1 1/4”, 1/8” thick walls, cut to length, drilled a few holes, now can try all sorts of stabs and angles. It was very easy, very inexpensive, and quite effective! Probably will seek out a carbon fiber square tube now that the proof of concept was a success. The V2 mast/fuse, albeit heavier than V1, and heavier than my NP setup, is top notch. Designed well, very stiff, and now the shipping to USA is dialed and fast. I also recently picked up a GONG superpower 9m v2 (thank you very much Fishdude-Fishman) and it is wonderful. Huge improvement over my v1 Pulse 7m in every way. Here are a few pics ¥

Also thank you PonoBill - you are an inspiration to this entire sport/lifestyle

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GONG stabilizer mods
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
This is a great and simple hack.

I’ve been trying to get up the initiative to mold a piece for my tail so I can adapt stabilizers on there but this is way faster.

If I get a second today I’ll look at Rock West site to see if there’s a prefab carbon tube that would fit.

Anxiously awaiting my V2 mast and fuse as well. Did you make that tail too?

FoilColorado

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 06:53:37 AM »
The tail was made by Daniel Andersson in SoCal. He made some cool foils a few years back, not sure if he still is in the game.

https://anderssonfoils.com/

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 10:53:45 PM »
Oh man, yeah he advertises on Craigslist here in SoCal all the time. I’ve always wondered about his foils. He’s still doing it. Thx for the link.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 03:27:16 AM »
Great testbed setup!.

I would try to bevel/streamline the front edges of the alu piece.Nothing fancy,filing or putty should do it.
The stab has very short span and you will get more reliable feedback if the center part is not riding in too dirty/turbulent flow.

FoilColorado

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 05:37:46 PM »
Another stab to test with the GONG Curve XL, from my NP kit. Also filed the aluminum piece as per Dontsink’s recommendation. Fun stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal