Author Topic: Packs of wimmen  (Read 5924 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Packs of wimmen
« on: July 04, 2021, 09:15:33 AM »
When windsurfing was a big thing Hood River was the standard all-male sausage fest (with rare, stupendously gorgeous exception). My friends and I used to call it the "never gonna get laid" club. Spend your weekends dredging the river with a pack of other male lunatics, sleeping in your car, and smelling funny at breakfast at Bette's instead of strutting like a peacock in Portland nightclubs and your success percentage with the fairer sex is inevitably down to the single digits at best. One might expect the same thing with wingdings. One would be flat-out wrong. At Luhr Jensen yesterday there must have been 50 wings on the lawn at any one time, and a large percentage belonged to women. Lovely, fit, rapidly progressing women wingdingers.

Seriously? The gods are definitely screwing with me. Here I am, 74, married to the love of my life, and mostly harmless anyway, and I'm in a sport being taken over by packs of women.

Joking aside, it's very nice to see. What's not so nice is that they are getting very good, in tough conditions, much faster than I ever did.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Packs of wimmen
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 04:45:41 PM »
Here's just a few of my students. A lot of of girls in Miami on a wing.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 07:30:12 PM »
No chance of even having a sausage fest let alone a pack of wimmen here in Rhode Island. And what Flkiter has going on is simply unheard of and the stuff of dreams.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 07:24:36 AM »
I went out July 4th in a pack of 5 wingers. Two were women, both better than me. Former kiters both. I hear from them that kiting had way more women than other water sports. I love it. Now if we can just get rid of the objectifying threads on here. 😅😂

I am becoming more optimistic that this sport is going to grow (at the enthusiast level) far more than SUP. We may never have the Costco inflatable crowd but I’m impressed by wind sports popularity the more I’m exposed.

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »
I'm just going to say to any women who happen to read this welcome to the sport. I hope you find the crowd welcoming and helpful.
AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 09:00:42 AM »
I think more than anything else, more women go out and do outdoor sports than in times past. If windsurfing had stayed as popular is it did during its peak, I think there'd be a much higher percentage of women windsurfers than in times past. Either way, this is a good thing. I wish more women would join the Zone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal