Author Topic: 21.5" board recommendations/advice  (Read 2149 times)

soleandpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
21.5" board recommendations/advice
« on: June 30, 2021, 06:48:01 AM »
Hi all - just looking for some SUP advice on going from a 24.5" board to something more narrow. I'm newer to SUP but am absolutely fell in love with the sport. I went from paddling a kayak, surfski, canoe, and then to SUP. I prefer it for a variety of reasons. In April I decided that I was going to get a race board and went to the local paddle shop. I didn't do extensive research at the time so I relied on advice from the shop. My athletic background is in running (trail ultramarathon, road, track) which I'm about 24 years deep in. I had only been on a paddleboard, I'd say about 3-4 times. I was looking at the 26" SIC RS but ended up with the 24.5" after discussing my background. I'm a 5'8", 122lb male so that was also a factor. I always paddle on flat water lakes, which do get windy and choppy definitely not the ocean. Can't wait to get out there soon and where the 24.5 will feel quite different I'm sure. I'm a few months in with paddling avg. 3-4 times a week. Typically 8-21 mile paddles and have been really enjoying practicing pivot turns and working on technique recently. To be honest, it feels like the board has gotten bigger and I'm looking forward to something a bit more svelte. I really bought this board for long-distance/touring and knew having something "wider" would be nicer for that. I knew that I would want something more narrow, just wasn't sure when I would reach that point. I knew I still have skill to develop, but look at the future and keeping my eyes peeling on the used market.

I'd like to spring for a 21.5 this year to further build my skill. I'd like to eventually get into some racing. Given my background, body size, are my thoughts correct on feeling like the 24.5 is a bit of a boat? I'm super glad to have started on it and will be great for touring, but a lot of my normal paddles aren't longer trips/etc. I'm curious if you all have some board recommendations. I'm looking at the Blackfish Infinity 21.5" at the moment. I really like the Infinity boards that have a "petina" look. The SIC looks great but it shows dirt so easily! Totally nitpicking, I know. The Starboard's are too pricey (unless I found used) for me and their durability concerns me. The SIC 21.5 looks okay, but I'm not a huge fan of being forced to go through a dealer for a board. I really like that you can order direct from Blackfish. I'm not ruling anything out, though, just some initial thoughts. I'm really excited to continue building my skill on any board but looking to the future, too.

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 06:57:23 AM by soleandpaddle »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 21.5" board recommendations/advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:47:16 AM »
Welcome soleandpaddle!

For the conditions you're describing and your physical abilities/attributes you should be able to handle a 21.5" and sub with no issues.
For reference, At 5'8", 185lbs and couple of decades older, I never had issues riding boards sub 23" on flat water.

As for maker and model, Blackfish has a lot of fans, I have 24" wide blackfish somewhere as well. Not my first choice for flat water. If anything I
would go for the Whiplash for that activity.

For pure speed and race purposes I would suggest the Speedboard SS: https://speedboardusa.com/product/speeder-ss/
This is a super durable hollow construction at 19lbs made by Nelo. Color theme is not my favorite and on the expensive side as well
but this is the best quality you can find for that kind your money imo.

Happy Hunting. Good Luck!
in progress...

soleandpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
Great advice - thank you!

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »
Hey SoleandPaddle, I just got back from my first session on a 21.5" starboard sprint. I know you're not keen on starboards, but thought i'd share my impression since my progression has been similar to yours. Their wood carbon boards cost about the same as the RS.

I bought an RS 26" in 2018. Felt tippy for a few months, then way too stable. Replaced it with a RS 23" in 2019. Felt tippy for a while. Bought a bigger fin...then reverted to stock fin, then to a 7" fin. Now I use the 23" with the small fin in just about every local condition, up to about 15mph winds. So I wanted a faster board with more challenge to develop my skills.

The 21.5" Sprint felt more stable than I expected--only a little more tippy than the 23"--and has loads of secondary stability. Granted, it was very calm water and I was using the large stock fin. I may sing a different tune when the wind picks up. The Sprint reacts more to the small shifts in footwork or paddling than my RS, which is a good thing. Instant feedback. I'm 6' and 170lbs and was surprised how high the 21.5" sits out of the water. It has more volume than and sits higher in the water than my 23" RS. With so much board out of the water, it will be interesting to see how it handles in cross winds and cross chop.

Anyway, at 122lb with an athletic background, it's no surprise that the 24.5" feels like a boat on flat water. I bet you'll be fine with a 21.5" board or even narrower if you find something that strikes your interest. Especially on flat lakes like you said. Best of luck!
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

soleandpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »
Hey Puget Sound -
Thanks for posting your experiences, really helpful! When I bought the 24.5 RS I was told it would take about a month to feel comfortable on it. It took me about three weeks to where I could "zone out" and not have focus much. This was with pretty much no experience on a SUP. Now I can go out with 20+ mph winds and have some fun. I'm glad I didn't start with the 26! I don't have anything against Starboard, I would get one if I could find one used. Just can't seem to find anything on narrow widths, most people have 25+. Infinity has a sale on their Whiplash 14x21.5 Dugout so I went ahead and put in an order for one. I'm excited to see how stable it is compared to the RS with more experience now. It has more volume than I need by far, so with the dugout, it should really make a difference on stability... that's my thinking at least.

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 01:58:55 PM »
That Whiplash looks like a great board. Let us know how it goes!
Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal