Author Topic: Hood River  (Read 4923 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hood River
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 07:11:20 AM »
Got together with Big yesterday for a second session. The Gorge was passing out some spicy treats. In the morning I went out with my 6M--it felt more like a 5M day, but I could see lots of stripes and I fricken' love this 6M. I hooked in and rode up to the upper hatchery. The swell was substantial and particularly short-period considering the size. Knee size swell that looked like chop. It made for a bumpy ride. Fun to play in though, especially in the run of wide river between the Hatchery and Wells Island. The wind kept building way beyond all predictions, and eventually I couldn't go back upwind very well--too much force on the leading edge. And I was getting cramps in my back leg.

So I headed downwind--what fun. I didn't flag the wing because with the swells so close together I needed a little help with balance, but it was a quick ride back to the event center. When I arrived I saw this tall, skinny guy standing next to a DW board with Axis wing and KD tail. Yup, Bigmtn.

He was ready to go. I pumped up my 4.2 and went out, planning to take it easy and mow ze lawn. Big had other ideas. He yelled that he was going to find more swell and wind and headed for Swell City. I followed him, but just after the bridge on the Washington side I plowed into a mat of grass and blew off the board. I got back up and continued but couldn't get up. Jumped off, flipped the board, and found a bit of salad bar. I got back up, went to the tip of Wells Island and located another grass mat. More wing salad. By the time I got untangled, I could see Big well past the hatchery. He's got this bumpy, windy shit dialed. I continued past the hatchery but by that time all I could see of Big was a yellow dot, well past swell city. I wondered if he realized there's a dam once you get to Cascade Locks.

I was getting tired and blowing too many jibes. I still can't ride toeside, dammit, and in that much chop my switchfoot jibes almost always include a quick touchdown, which is always a good opportunity to fall. So I headed back downwind. Fun.

About the time I got changed Big showed up. He'd had a fun time but is looking for the bigger stuff. Go east young man. I guess learning to wing on the north shore of Oahu gets you ready for the tough stuff anywhere.

With two long upwind/downwinders running about from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM I slept like a baby last night. No, that doesn't mean I woke up and cried every hour and wet the bed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
Bigmtn, today is a big East day.  Hope you are still around.  Take your small wings and fastest foil.

Had a great session at Swell yesterday on PPC 2.8 and Armstrong 1125 HA. Unfortunately, didn't see you guys. Dialing in my hard cutbacks with some successes despite ventilating a few times.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 08:56:59 AM »
Yup, that's where I'm headed. Rufus/the wall or should I go to Arlington?

Deep Sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 09:18:39 AM »
Another great resource when planning your day: https://thegorgeismygym.com/forecast/. If Rufus looks good, stay, otherwise move on to Arlington. The corridor will most likely be good too, once the marine layer backs off.
SIC 14' V1 Bullet, Flying Dutchman, QB Ona Ava, Axis Foils, & Goya Sails.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »
Now I’m glad I didn’t get to wing with him. I can only take so many beatings. 😂

I’m loving the reports. Big, get to posting if you’re not too tired.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2021, 10:39:21 PM »
What a fun couple days! Yesterday met up with pono Bill, and had a great time playing around at the hatchery/swell city riding waves and dodging windsurfers. Did just shy of 25 miles in a little over 2 hours.

Today I went and checked out the wall. It looked really good when I got there with nobody in the water. But very quickly the windsurfers started piling in. The launches there either had a crazy amount of sea grass or fishing nets. So I drove down and to the other side at Rufus. I figured I'd rather start with an upwind, then when I'm tired I can downwind back to the car. Super easy launch, and upwind I went. The swells were super fun, probably chest high. Plenty of wind. I took a 2.8 out for the first time. I was worried it was gonna be too small, but I think I could have gone with a smaller wing. It was nuking at times! Super fun riding the waves, but wow is it hard to keep track of where everyone is around you while also riding the waves, turning, etc.  Did about 28 miles in 2.5 hrs, went back to the car for water and snacks, then went back out for another hour. Wanted to go longer, but my legs quit working. Looking like one more session tomorrow, probably hatchery/swell city again. Thanks for all the help and info!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut