Author Topic: Hood River  (Read 4891 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Hood River
« on: June 28, 2021, 03:10:50 PM »
Headed to the PNW later this week, and will be in the Hood River area next week.  I know it's been crazy hot lately, what's the water temp like in the river these days.  What kind of wetsuits are most folks wearing? Spring suits? 3/2's? little of everything?

Also anyone want to join me on a few wing sessions? downwinders?  I've get a general idea of most the spots, but would be nice to join a few of you if anyone is down. 

Hopefully there is a little more wind next week.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hood River
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 03:36:48 PM »
Haven't been up there recently but this is still your best resource https://thegorgeismygym.com/forecast/
With 66 degree water and f'n hot weather I don't think much rubber is needed

I make sure to contribute each year whether I'm there or not.  Waking up to the email forecast each day I'm in the Hood is completely worth the $

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »
I find the ikitesurf pro forecast to be the most reliable.  It is updated live 3 times a day.  Many of us are still wearing 3/2 wetsuits though you definitely see people wearing less.   As far as locations, there are a lot of options if you are able to stay upwind.   The wind quality varies quite a bit on a given day and it helps to pay close attention to the lulls to find the best winds.  For example, on a given day the Event Site could be averaging 20 but wth lulls/gusts of 7/35 while Viento a few miles away could be 20 but 16/24.  If you are interested in waves, the best locations in the Corridor are Hatchery/Swell but the best waves are East on bigger days.  (The Wall, Rufus and Arlington).  The flattest water for a given wind speed is at Jensen/Hook followed by Viento and Stevenson if you are looking for a day to work on some maneuvers. 

You will find a lot of wingers on the lawn at Jensen.  My wife and I are there often. 

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 07:00:21 PM »
yeah def more interested in waves and doing downwinders.  plenty of windy flat days here on the north shore in the summer.  no problems staying upwind, and I fell comfortable in any size waves... the wall/rufus/arlington are def on my list.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »
Heading up there with the Axis crew Sept 7-11 for the AWSI Board Sports Expo.

Super excited...going for the sup downwinding I've heard so much of in the past, and staying for the wingding instruction that I'm hoping convinces me that my disdain for the sport so far is ill placed. :P ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you guys. the last two days sucked but the wind is coming back and the temperature should be back to normal in a few days. By this time of the year, I'm usually wearing rash guard, boardies, and an impact vest, though we had a long spell of junuary weather that meant spring suit up until recently when someone shoved the thermostat to 11.

BigMT, ping me when you get here, I'll be glad to meet up and go play. If we could get folks a little more synched I'd be happy to fire up my big ass smoker and host a get together at the shop. Unfortunately, I have a couple of things on the calendar--good things like racing Peyote, my vintage car for probably the last time July 23-25. My brother Bob (Stoneaxe) is coming to town to hang out and come to the race. And I've got a motorcycle trip with friends and a date with the doc to get some basal cell cut out of my charming face and nose. No biggie, but it might keep me out of the water for a while.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 03:28:42 AM »
Heading up there with the Axis crew Sept 7-11 for the AWSI Board Sports Expo.

Wow, AWSI making sure Surf Expo stays dead. Same dates.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 05:26:45 AM »
yeah def more interested in waves and doing downwinders.  plenty of windy flat days here on the north shore in the summer.  no problems staying upwind, and I fell comfortable in any size waves... the wall/rufus/arlington are def on my list.

I understand your level now.  Look East first for a big day.  They don't come that often but when they do, you want to be there.  Otherwise, on most typical summer days, you will probably hit Swell/Hatchery/Cheap beach.   That's where you will find the wave addicts. The current is pretty fast now so getting back up wind is effortless.

I hang out at Jensen because my wife can find some flattish water while I go play in the channel but the above is my preference when she is not going out.

There is a FB group that some of the more experienced locals are on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/261798468350180

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 12:39:13 PM »
What are the best options for downwinders? Start/finish? 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 01:14:22 PM »
Viento is easy since the shuttle is a ten minute ride down the highway. No official shuttle right now, but it’s easy to set one up. It’s 8.5 miles as the crow flies but I generally cover 10+. But the options are essentially infinite. 300 mikes of river (1243 miles total) with highways on both sides.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 05:33:06 PM »
What a difference a day makes. From dead calm to 25 gusting to 40. That's what we get for praying for wind. I was out on a 6.0 at the hatchery this morning and about killed myself, The wind came up at least 10MPH on the first reach. Came back in, pumped up the 4.2 and was still overpowered but it was silly fun chasing the HUGE bumps.

Went home to feed the dog, back out at the event center and I was grossly overpowered on a 3.5. The only other winger out was a young lady I see there all time--she's extremely good. There were quite a few kites with twin tips, some of them doing 300-yard jumps, all of them lit up, most of them HODLing. HODL isn't just for Cryptocurrency.

I stayed out for quite a while. Ripped the front strap off my board, pulled the velcro loose on my harness--I've never even come close to doing that before, and in a few of the gusts, I thought for sure my wing was going to come apart. Every time I fell my board flailed around on the end of the leash, flipping over half the time. I should have come in for the 2.8, but nah.

Pretty spicy, but it was fun.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 05:54:42 PM »
nice! I just got a 2.8M, can't believe how tiny it looks.  Hoping I get a chance to use it.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 09:14:49 PM »
Viento is easy since the shuttle is a ten minute ride down the highway. No official shuttle right now, but it’s easy to set one up. It’s 8.5 miles as the crow flies but I generally cover 10+. But the options are essentially infinite. 300 mikes of river (1243 miles total) with highways on both sides.

Is the shuttle not running this summer? 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 11:52:26 PM »
It might later, but probably not. There isn't as much interest in doing SUP downwinders, and that's what kept the shuttle full. I mostly do upwind/downwind. With a wing, a harness, and a favorable wind direction, it's fairly easy to go ten miles upwind, then turn around and chase bumps downwind.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 01:53:10 PM »
gonna just put this here to make it easier to find

Gorge map:  https://cgw2.org/local-info/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal