Author Topic: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions  (Read 29894 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2021, 09:25:58 PM »
DW - I’m dying to know - what do you mean by “micro chine”?
Is this a really low angle chine so the bottom isn’t completely flat?  Seems like that’s what I’m seeing in the latest video of your boards

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2021, 10:44:08 PM »
So how does all this translate to foil SUPing?

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2021, 11:18:48 PM »
A friend who rides Naish gear gave me an old kite race board a few years back. It had 4 dangerously long Tuttle Fins in it. Decided to attempt to make a prone Foilboard out it. (Another story) It did have a blunt looking tail.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
So how does all this translate to foil SUPing?
In my very limited winging experience, what I did find with the "wing" boards I was riding at Hood River this last week, was that everything was set back much further than I do on my sup gear, and it really worked great....I was flying! ;D

Out of curiosity, I pulled out my same sized sup board that I'm using to learn winging, and found that I didn't have enough volume in the nose, and that, combined with the fact that my tracks and foot strap are mounted much further forward than the wing boards....trying to pop the board up w/o a wave behind me helping me do some of the lifting, that the nose of the board kept getting stuffed under the 2'+ wind swell, and thusly the foil wing was getting pointed down exacerbating the problem of pulling the nose under water.

Then took a wing board out to see if I could DW with it, and when paddling up river, I kept wanting to get my foot further forward than the strap was allowing me to do. I did take my foot out of the strap, and stood with my foot completely ahead of it, where I'd normally have my front strap, and that did make it much easier to paddle into and through the swells, but w/o the strap I had nothing to pull up against, or use to help control the side to side roll as I do when paddling in the strap. W/o the strap up there, I just couldn't pull/pop it off the water. Yes, I'm sure technique/timing had a bunch to do with that also, as that was my first ever attempt at DWing anywhere.

Grabbed my sup board to see if I could DW with it, but felt that I needed a bunch more volume than its 103L (need more like 115-120L), because it was next to impossible to pull it up out of the water in just the rolling swells, and not having a true face of a wave (skateboard ramp) to head down to generate the speed necessary to get the wing flying.

That pretty much confirmed to me why my flat tail sup board is back with the shaper having the boxes moved forward 3" to where I originally had them planned, but moved them back when seeing/hearing that with the flat tail they needed to go much further back (even more than the 3" I moved them).

Could just be me, but I think a crossover wing/sup board might not be the way to go...unless you use the 16" Chinook boxes I saw at the show. Really two different sports, that I think need two different boards. With sup, all of your weight is being pushed onto the board as you're paddling, and leveling that off instead of sinking the tail too much is vital, whereas w/winging, the wing is actually trying to pull you off the board, and allowing for the board and foil to become unweighted (relatively speaking), and let's it lift much easier than compared to trying to paddle it into as wave or DWer.  But that's JMO...OMMV. 🤷‍♂️
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2021, 03:28:18 PM »
Picked this beauty up from King’s Paddle Sports. Surfed SanO and it performed amazing even though it is designed as a light wind wing board. Carved and got into waves all over- out front, Sunshine, and Nukes!!
On an Axis 1000/500 and 1000/460.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »
Sweet board!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2021, 07:15:25 AM »
WOW! haven't been here for a while.  A whole lot of great input.  For winging, I would never use anything other than a straight tail board.  Makes the use of all types of foils easier, especially the newer high aspect, faster foils. Not only is the flat tail bottom of importance, having a board with a planshape that pulls in at the tail can significantly increase the drag at the stern.  The boards that incorporate both a straight bottom and straight sides at the rear are, in my opinion, noticeably easier on lift off.   My design improved considerably when I added minicell foam wingers to the curved rails, thereby straightening them out just shy of the actual tail.   

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2022, 02:45:53 PM »
I wanted a little more float on my 110 hover for sup, and also wanted to make it maintain speed better, so I made it into a straight tail. It’s cold here now so I haven’t gotten out that much, but my first time out suping I was struck by how much slower it was than before…. Until it was faster. I’m assuming it’s due to the increased size of the wall in the back dragging water, up to the point that water starts releasing from the edge. So I thought I’d revisit the Armstrong approach to straight tail. It seems to me that gentle rocker creates a cleaner underwater shape than a rectangle. Closer to a sailboat (imoca)compared to a power boat going slow. And winging with both shapes I can’t discern a difference in how they skip off the water, so it seems that gradual rocker might make it paddle faster, but doesn’t affect too much the straight tail benefits. Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:47:48 PM by MikeLima »
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »
Your Naish now looks like my blue planet easy foiler 😀 its 6’ only board that I’ve known for sup and winging and I really like it.
I kept on thinking how I would start on that board and progress to something else but at 98 litres it’s perfect for both disciplines.
Only thing that i would update on that board is to have the handle at the bottom of the board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal