Author Topic: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions  (Read 29870 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2021, 08:29:05 AM »
armstrong rocker looks nice to the eye, but I see what you mean about zero rocker on the tail.  It looks like the foil will be mounted on upward sloping tail and all the rocker will be slow to plane.
Yeah, the baseplate on the rocker sloping the fuse/foil down that I had to keep shimming to get it level thing, and because since we're surfing the foil and not the board...I couldn't figure out why we needed any tail rocker in a foil board anyway. 🤷‍♂️😊
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2021, 08:37:33 AM »
Califoilia - it seems like you are making the case for an anglefoil on a small board --https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33902.15.html -
or as option #2 Perhaps you need to ride with a rear & front strap to add that you can pull up on your rear foot
#1 Ha! I loved my angledfoil, and even had him make me an Axis version...

...but dang Axis wings turn great on their own, and having my rear foot so far behind the baseplate pivot point with them was a slashing machine...above my old man capabilities. :o ;D

#2 I've experimented with a rear strap (I always ride a front one), and found I move my rear foot around a lot, and felt trapped in it, so took it off. Now that was a year ago or so, and I don't think I was riding Axis at the time, so maybe another stab at it might not be a bad idea. Think I might give that a go a little later if this box location thing turns out to be a bust. 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
It sounds more like your footstraps are in the wrong spot than your mast. Don't forget that you can play with the incidence angle of the foils as well. You're a very advanced surf foiler, and I suspect you feel a lot more tweaks than most folks would. But the foil position on the board is really only critical when you're standing around on it, during paddling, and at take-off. If you're having issues after liftoff it more or less has to be either your position on the board or the characteristics of the foil. Changing the foil position to suit flying is really another way to change foot position.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »
It sounds more like your footstraps are in the wrong spot than your mast.

Changing the foil position to suit flying is really another way to change foot position.
I pretty much agree with this, especially the 2nd sentence.. Only disagreement, is that the foot strap is in the correct location....for my liking, and riding style.

Yep, I like/want to be at a certain spot or position on top of the board, and thusly, have to change the position of the mast to accommodate where I want my front foot to be in the strap.

To go back to Juan's statement about 14.5" seeming to be the right location...I move my boxes further forward than "normal"(?), and probably stand slightly closer to the nose than most...because I want the feel of having to hold the nose down slightly when at height flying down the line. With that setup, turning becomes twist, and push the nose down into the turn, then release and twist back as the nose then automatically comes up with the added lift, and out of the turn effortlessly.

With the mast in the "normal", further back position, there seemed to be too much nose out in front of the pivot point, and its corresponding swing weight to contend with. Yes, being so far forward on the board does change the way I have to takeoff, in that I have to lean back to pull the nose further out of the water just as the waves gets to me to prevent the wave lifting the tail and pushing the nose underwater where then I'm pretty much finished most times as the tipped forward foil wants to pull it even further under as we move forward.

But it's all a matter of comforts and adjustments I guess. Like I tell folks when they ask about getting the "perfect setup"..."When you get something, you give something else up". Like the old saying goes, "You can't have it all"...foiling's no different.  ;D

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2021, 10:13:11 AM »
Hi,
I have my mast positioned at 21" from the center of the mast to the back of the board.  That is a 5    .6 sup foil board.
This makes the board very alive and allows you to put your back foot behind the mast.
Perhaps it's just my preference, but moving the mast forward has been a tremendous step forward. The board turns, feel and pump like a 4,8 but still paddles like a big board.
Anyway, perhaps it's just me.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2021, 10:36:27 AM »
I used to say "just shove your foil all the way forward" because that works on so many boards. Then I got my 5'11" Flying Dutchman and it was a bitch to control with the track shoved fully forward. It turned out that Kane's advice (which I initially pooh-poohed) about setting up your foil by balancing it on the center of lift and seeing if the board hangs parallel to the ground was relevant. I think that's because the center of gravity of the assembly is roughly equivalent to the center of buoyancy. And perhaps because for people who don't outweigh their board by 10X the center of mass is relevant too. In any case, standing where you have to stand to get the board up and flying simply can't be hugely different from where you need to be once you are up, unless you're able to move like a cat while you are coming up and wind up in exactly the right place.

You might want to try that before you get your board hacked up.

I understand what you're saying about tuning for turning. I'm finding the same thing downwinging on bigger swells. I want some pressure on the front foot at the start of the drop so I can shove down to accelerate down the face, then twist to turn and release a little nose pressure to bank without touching down. Without a little excess nose pressure releasing the nose a little doesn't do enough. I adjusted my "y" strap back one hole and got what I wanted. Good thing that worked, because the next spot back would have been inside the handle. Even an NSI stick on won't work there.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 10:43:59 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2021, 10:53:42 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback, it's always helpful.
For your information, I'm paddling in the straps and staying on them ALL the time. So there is not a lot of motion other than balancing weight.
What you said about balancing "Kane style" makes sense, my actual Sup foil has extra flotation so maybe the reason why it works.
By the way, I tried the "Kane balancing style", which a bunch of boards (wing mainly) and friends, and literally all went back to their original position; so there it seems to be a lot more variables as position, leading foot, water start style.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2021, 12:28:55 AM »
playing with some shapes and I think this might be my next board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2021, 03:17:04 AM »
Less chine will make it accelerate quicker. Take inspiration from Jonny Heineken’s boards, or Sky’s 2022 boards, not Armstrong.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:30:55 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2021, 05:53:37 AM »
http://www.newind.net/wingboard-2/

They have two wingshapes,one with stepped rails and another with straight rails.
Step rails might reduce drag on touchdowns?.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2021, 07:20:55 PM »
Good ideas, thanks, will look at those shapes closer.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2021, 06:38:15 PM »
Less chine will make it accelerate quicker. Take inspiration from Jonny Heineken’s boards, or Sky’s 2022 boards, not Armstrong.

What can you see these boards designs? 

I found this video of Johnny Heineken from Clay. 

I am wondering because Jeff Clark is now making new boards and they are a complete BOX design, looking very much like Johnny's board in this video.  From this thread I suspect is that the flat, box shape gets the high aspect foils up to flight speed faster. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZkrOnQ5OM&t=101s

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2021, 04:40:23 AM »

What can you see these boards designs? 

My take on it…

When winging came a long, some guys just pulled their old kite race boards out of the garbage pile and discovered these were better than the fancy wing boards. Those old kite race boards had tuttle boxes and were nothing more than miniature windsurf race boards. Instant winging race boards for guys riding Mike’s Lab foils. Haha

So you can just shape a miniature windsurf slalom board, minus tail cutouts. Tail cutouts were invented for TOP speed. They hurt planing. But adding in what I’ve learned doing SUP foiling and winging, I know that shaping the rails kills stability. Also pulling the nose hurts stability, but does improve boofing ability. So my newest v5 wing board keeps the unshaped square rail for stability, with a micro chine and pulled nose for kook moments. I also toss in more width. Giving maximum planing surface in the shortest package, with maximum stability and kook tolerance. FYI, not taking orders, so no need for anyone to contact me. Sorry.

For 2022, Fanatic, Axis, Indiana are all straight tails. I’m sure there are more.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:49:13 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2021, 06:52:22 AM »
Here is the kite race board, I’m sure someone at Crissy tried winging and figured it out first. I know someone in Florida that winged one of these. The first gens had a single tuttle box

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2021, 07:50:43 PM »
This is the kind of experience you can’t buy. Thx DW.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal