Author Topic: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions  (Read 29880 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions
« on: June 24, 2021, 07:37:14 AM »
Just curious,  Anybody out there riding straight tail boards for winging .  How do you like them?  Just about to skin my next board and its shaped  to be a straight tail.    I was also curious, as my shape is approximately 100L,  does anybody have any experience SUP foiling on a straight tail?   Its always nice to be able to foil waves when the wind dies.  Thanks for any and all opinions. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »
Not yet, but I'm going to find out shortly...hopefully. 🤞🏽

5'4x27x102L

My thought was that the standard kick tail was basically just taking away about 7" from the amount of bottom paddling surface area I had in my other boards, and if all goes as planned, this 5'4 should paddle more like a 5'11...at least in theory wise in my pea brain. 🤔🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:48:44 AM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
what are the stringers?  Are you going to tie the foil boxes into the stringers?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 10:49:15 PM »
I'm converting a rockered 6'0 board to a straight tail.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wingnut52

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
I totally agree with no kick tail. A flat rocker board will get more boat speed and require less pumping , or none to get on foil.... My new 5'3" 85 liter board from legendary shaper Dave Mel  is almost done, attached is the basic shape with flat bottom ...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:58:41 PM by Wingnut52 »

Esteban

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 07:37:03 AM »
not sure why chisel tails are all the rage although I suppose its an easy way to reduce volume while still maintaining deck area...my Flying Dutchman custom 75 liter has straight tail , another advantage is increased stability when board is on water in comparison to a board with chisel tail and chines

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 09:39:40 PM »
The big bevel on the tail makes sense when you're surf foiling, especially with a low aspect, thick, slow wing. Like the GoFoil Maliko 200 or Iwa. Those foils can be popped up at a relatively slow speed by suddenly increasing the angle of attack and then flattening back out once you're flying--works fine with those foils, and the bevel makes it easier to do. Pushing ten inches of flat tail under is a bitch. As soon as you move to high aspect wings that stops working so well. Doing that pop up just stalls the wing and you bang back down.

With a wing, the bevel tail, or rocker, or anything other than a flat tail is just slowing down the board. You don't need to drastically change the AOA to get up, just gain some speed and bias your weight a little back and up you come. Bevel tails don't hurt all that much, but they don't help either.

Chines are a bit pointless too. With a surf foil, they might help you lift off progressively since as soon as the foil starts lifting the board gets skinnier. My new flying dutchman wing board has a little convex shape that I kind of wish wasn't there. I think it saves my ass on a touchdown. I'm not sure that's the feature that permits me to touch down without much consequence, but something is doing it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »
Here's Armstrong's opinion about straight tailed wing boards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25r9afJ6xdQ

https://www.armstrongfoils.com/wing-sup-boards/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 10:25:21 AM by deja vu »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 12:13:15 PM »
holy crap - Armstrong did it - that board has every single detail I've been looking for and a few I didn't know to ask for.  Through handle???  better fin boxes?  yes please

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »
I like the through handle.  Here's a good shot of the tail.  Click the pic to zoom in.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:21:47 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 03:21:51 PM »
After looking at the pics in the website there are a couple things i do not like that much.
The beveled rails and recessed deck.
Vertical rails and flat deck like DW boards would be more to my liking.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »
holy crap - Armstrong did it - that board has every single detail I've been looking for and a few I didn't know to ask for.  Through handle???  better fin boxes?  yes please

Pretty much what I was thinking too. On the SUP wing range I'd prefer a sharper nose to help punch through our chop and a narrower overall width, but otherwise look really good to me.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 05:36:54 PM »
I’ve got three sessions logged on my new 60L Armstrong and I’m blown away. All the good stuff going on justifies the cost in my opinion.  Haven’t had it out in any big bumps yet, so we will see if the longer tail catches much.

The forward tracks and fast shape makes my 1125 a low wind wing. Getting it up in around 13mph with a 5M easy.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 08:03:31 PM »
Looking forward to using my new Armstrong board which should arrive next week.  I am currently on my 4th custom board and still not able to get the mast forward enough.  It is about time someone figured this out.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 04:05:47 AM »
Sorry, no pics yet.  Ill try later.     Board is not finished but good enough to take out.  Where to start?
Its a heck of a lot lighter than my waterlogged 120L "Fugly".  I don't have an accurate scale so don't ask.   first day was in 7-10 kts, barely ridable but with my large foil and a 6M Echo, I eked out a few good rides.  Even in those low winds. the boards faster hull speed was immediately noticeable.  Pumping consisted of lunging the board forward to break form drag, and pumping again to lift board from water.  Quite easy considering the low wind.  Nailed it on both foot strap insert placements and mast placement(Tuttle).    Control was better than expected having to do with the low swing weight.

Day 2-  15Kts+, continuous.  Now for the real fun!  Just point and shoot!  Most times I just let the board accelerate to planing speed and then slowly rise out of the water.  If that wasn't quick enough, Id throw in a small hop or 2.   This was extra-ordinary for me.  Too easy!   Touchdowns were as expected, almost unnoticed.  With the higher than deck line nose portion, pop ups were automatic.   Unexpectedly, the front edge would rise and pop out quickly when i would accidently drive it into the water when foiling at high speeds with the board on a steep angle.   Not that I have many tricks under my belt but all the usual maneuvers(jibes,tacks,360's) felt a lot easier with such a lightweight board. 

Durability-  Ill throw this in there only because I accidently threw my board into some large, sharp edge granite boulders.  Navigating my way through these rockweed and barnacle encrusted rocks left me struggling for balance.  with my ankle in a hole, it was either drop the board or risk breaking my ankle.  Believe me when I say, that hurt me more than the board.  After very careful inspection, I still can not find any damage.  Luckily, the impact occurred mostly on the lapped rails which consist of 2-3 layers 4 oz glass and 2 layers of 4.8 oz carbon/Innegra.  I swear by this shit now. 

This is all I can think of at the moment. Cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal