Author Topic: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions  (Read 29883 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Straight tail Wingfoil board opinions
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2021, 03:07:09 AM »
Good on you for doing all those experiments.

Another one Ive done. Shaped surfboard rails, then an identical board with square rails. No shaping, just a vertical wall and rounded at the deck about 3/4” for comfort and durability.

The non-shaped rail had twice the stability. It also paddles as straight as a board 1 foot longer than it is.

But the rail does need some slight bevel up front to prevent catching. Just a little bit. The board still looks like a giant block of foam.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2021, 07:17:20 AM »
I'm as shocked as anyone. This is really a revelation.

This is why I enjoy this forum. Real insight. Awesome. Thanks for sharing and doing the work! Will file all that in the 'need to remember' box, especially as I'm planning on building my first board this winter, and a straight tail sure does make shaping easier!

Appreciate that not everyone wants to ride small foils but for me that's a big win and if straight tails help that then hopefully everyone can be a winner! Each time I've dropped a foil size has been an eye opener (in more than one way!), and I think I've finally reached the point where I don't need to go any smaller for a daily driver. I'm so in tune with the Fluid LS, and it's performance is so spot on that I'm finally starting to get into the flow state where I'm just thinking about what I want to do rather than how I'm going to do it, or getting distracted by what it's doing in chop.

If a straight tail board comes into my quiver maybe I'll get the Fluid M (900 cm², 0.7L) if the board can get me up easily on it in 15 knots, but I don't think the additional benefits will be that great until it starts getting to around 20-25 knots+ when I won't need the straight tail anyway. If it lowers the range I can reliably use the LS, that would be a bigger win I think but am open minded.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2021, 10:56:19 AM »
Here's my setup with the stepped tail, pulled in (fail!) and the template (before cutting) for the plain square flat tail. I swiped my DC power supply from my electronics room to power the cutter. Works great. I can adjust the current precisely to give precision cuts with a near-zero kerf.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2021, 01:48:25 PM »
Not to be left behind, I too got into the "Flat Tail Follies". ;D

5'4x27x102L

Seemed to paddle as expected yesterday the first time out with it, but my mast setup/guess was wrong, and the conditions were pretty mixed up for a decent comparison on how well it lifted off and surfed.

Might have had the mast too far back, as I found myself having to move my feet so far forward just to get it to level out to keep from stalling once in the air, but that might have been just the really wonky conditions I was fighting against...just have to see. 🤔
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:01:15 PM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2021, 02:10:45 PM »
I love the straight tail concept but too much volume to the rear creates problems.
I want the board to float flat/slight nose up with my feet in takeoff=foil position.

I f you place the foil with the KDmaui method this is going to be a very centered position.

With excess volume concentrated on the tail the float trim will be nose down with feet in takeoff position,not good.

Armstrong solved this with a brilliant reverse tail bevel.Which,surprise,surprise,is exactly what every surfboard and windsurf board uses since day one.

I had to cut some foam from my frankentail to make it float correctly.

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2021, 02:46:46 PM »
I love the straight tail concept but too much volume to the rear creates problems.

I had to cut some foam from my frankentail to make it float correctly.

Can you tell me how you have attached the foam (EVA foam)? Glue of some kind?

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2021, 02:57:47 PM »
Yes,standard (Bostik brand) contact glue.
It has been there for a few months now,no problems.
Foam is EVA, from a puzzle like fit together gym flooring leftover.Grey part is less dense.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 03:01:26 PM by Dontsink »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 03:44:34 PM »
Not hard to correct with a clean sheet of paper. Your issue is adding it to a board not designed from scratch to be a flat tail

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2021, 12:50:38 AM »
Not hard to correct with a clean sheet of paper. Your issue is adding it to a board not designed from scratch to be a flat tail

Yes.
And it is a wing only board, extra tail flotation is probably very good for getting into surf waves on a Supfoil.

BTW my stick on foam tail was an attemp to copy just one of your design ideas DW.
You have been way ahead of the industry with innegra,real solid foil boxes,flat bottoms,vertical rails and straight tail design.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2021, 01:05:03 AM »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2021, 07:22:29 AM »
Looks like some of the new Indiana wing boards are going with the basic shape and flat tail too.

Yup, Gunnar is a big believer in what I call, “the Dwight boards”.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2021, 11:05:17 PM »
I wanna build one of these boards with XPS and just cut it til I find the limit of what I can ride. Our crew has been discussing this as a way to prototype without having to glass up 4 boards only to find out they are wrong.

I’m also not convinced the way we build boards is right or the final iteration of this whole thing. Tiny canoes made of fragile composites. Longboard boxes are a joke. There’s got to be a better way to do all of this. That guy is a prophet lol.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2021, 11:46:41 PM »
I wanna build one of these boards with XPS and just cut it til I find the limit of what I can ride. Our crew has been discussing this as a way to prototype without having to glass up 4 boards only to find out they are wrong.

I’m also not convinced the way we build boards is right or the final iteration of this whole thing. Tiny canoes made of fragile composites. Longboard boxes are a joke. There’s got to be a better way to do all of this. That guy is a prophet lol.

Great ideas.
I would like to see somebody come up with a modular design.
A flat solid base,the lenght&width of your footstance and then EVA foam modules(like softtop boards) to be attached on top.
Different volumes and shapes  for SUP, Wing or Surf foiling.
The base could be really small and strong made of carbon and woodcore.
Don't know how heavy the result would be though,maybe too much.
Throwing 3  foamies in the car and a "base plate" could be very practical vs babying our carbon eggshells.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2021, 09:56:56 PM »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal