Author Topic: L41 ST Demo session  (Read 9743 times)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
L41 ST Demo session
« on: June 22, 2021, 11:39:13 AM »
https://youtu.be/Ji__-p-wABU
Hi all,
I’ve been interested for some time in the L41 sups and several zoners seem to rave about them.  NorthJerzsurfer kindly loaned me his L41 ST for a couple days, this morning was the my first demo I figured I’d dust off the Soloshot and see if I could have success with that often flaky device. (I watched a you tube video to refresh my memory on calibrating the soloshot and it worked like a charm).  I was messaging with Dusk Patrol and OspreySup about L41’s so I thought I’d write a review of my experience.  I wasn’t sure if this should go in the Gear or Session section so sorry in advance.

Me: 57 yrs old, 5’9”, 200lbs or so.  Location: Long Branch, NJ. Sup: L41 ST 8’ x 30.5” 129L
Conditions: High tide breaking close to the beach very inconsistent, 2-3 ft as per Surf Captain.

Right away what I did not like was the SUP handle, it’s the kind you can only fit your fingertips, this is especially not good if you surf cold winters.  This is the shortest and lowest volume sup I’ve surfed and while I didn’t feel completely stable I was fine when paddling for waves.  The board paddles well and catches waves easily (I think better than my JL boards), I was really surprised.  Other L41 owners mentioned the speed on a wave; I will say I felt it was too fast, I did not feel in control on steeper waves. I’m guessing one may adjust to this with regular use.  At about 1:43 in the video I try to slow down by dragging my paddle.  About 3:29 of the video I kicked out but would have like to do a rebound off the lip but again the speed was too fast for me.  On the flatter mushier sections it was easier to redirect and weave the board which felt good.  No big deal but I did notice a hum/whistle coming from the fins.  Now I’ll admit I tend to ride further up on the board and have that staggered stance maybe this lends to less control on a sup with speed?  Not sure.

Overall, a fun sup.  I’d probably go a ½’ to an inch wider but the length on this board seems fine.  It would not be my primary board, I think it’s good for mushy days and I already have the Superfrank for those conditions.  Bigger steeper days I think I’d be more comfortable on my Destroyer, I feel going slower allows more maneuvers under control.  Again tho this is one session in not so great conditions.  One thing is for sure it’s great when you can demo a board, thanks again NJS!

Ken
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: L41 ST Demo session
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:41:14 PM »
Good report. It's definitely a different animal that takes getting used to. With traditional shapes like your Superfrank you have a brake pedal. You just stick the tail and slow yourself down. The L41 doesn't have brakes. The wide thin tail acts like a skim board, when you step back on the tail the board speeds up. You have to control you speed through the turns. My old green machine with a pulled in tail would slow down too much if I made a really hard bottom turn. On that board I would ride it more forward and make nice rounded bottom turns trying not to kill the speed to much. On the L41 I crank the hardest, sharpest laid over bottom turn I can to try to slow the board down. I get a ton of pressure on my paddle throughout the turn.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 01:06:26 PM »
Ken, thanks for sharing.  Having that Soloshot footage is so cool.  I had hum on my L41 butterknife, but it turned out the fin was cracked where the tab goes in the finbox.  Nicks on fins can also cause hum at speed.
I have the ST in the same dimensions.  You look so smooth on the board, definitely would not have guessed your first time on the board.
Dana posted a video of his ST when he was learning to do cutbacks on his ST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXWuhyhHGZ8
TallDude, great stuff thanks for sharing.  I like the skimboard analogy. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:04:25 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »
TD, you have that ST dialed!

Sflinux, thanks good information in that video.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
Nice Ken! A little bigger down by me this morning. I am getting ready to head out for session 2, nothing like a June tropical storm!  I need to do a review on my board but I will do that on a separate thread.

When I first got into SUP I talked to everybody I could. I remember a conversation with a person pushing me to a short but wide South County (I think that was the brand). He said to me, and I remember it like it was yesterday, "boards react differently for taller, bigger surfers." Of course, I went with an 11 footer. I am 6'2 245. So interesting to me that I find the instant lift and speed of the L41 an advantage in steeper waves. I think in Pono's reviews of the L41 he expresses the same thing. I believe Dana is on the taller side and of course, Talldude is as well. Just makes me wonder when we look at boards if we don't consider height and weight enough other than in terms of volume.

New board and new fins, they hummed right out of the gate. I sanded the fins a bit. it helped some with the humming
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:22:54 PM by ospreysup »

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 03:06:12 PM »
Nice Ken! A little bigger down by me this morning. I am getting ready to head out for session 2, nothing like a June tropical storm!  I need to do a review on my board but I will do that on a separate thread.

When I first got into SUP I talked to everybody I could. I remember a conversation with a person pushing me to a short but wide South County (I think that was the brand). He said to me, and I remember it like it was yesterday, "boards react differently for taller, bigger surfers." Of course, I went with an 11 footer. I am 6'2 245. So interesting to me that I find the instant lift and speed of the L41 an advantage in steeper waves. I think in Pono's reviews of the L41 he expresses the same thing. I believe Dana is on the taller side and of course, Talldude is as well. Just makes me wonder when we look at boards if we don't consider height and weight enough other than in terms of volume.

New board and new fins, they hummed right out of the gate. I sanded the fins a bit. it helped some with the humming
Hey Jeff, could be me just needing to adjust.  Glad your taking advantage of this swell, should be decent again by you tomorrow.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »
Solid review, LB. That board looks super cool and you surfed it well for the first go. Was sooo fun this morning at my local. Looks like you got it good too!

My SS3 base has been in repair for 7 weeks for a battery swap out. Supposed to be here tomorrow finally! I've been using my old Canon sx50 as a ghost cam. Does the job but I miss the Opti65. It zooms in sooo close.

I was afraid my board was gonna break(again) on that blown late drop. Almost had it!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:36:54 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 07:26:00 PM »
You guys nailed it. Except that the accelerator pedal on an L41 is everywhere. Step back and it instantly speeds up. Step forward to try to calm that down and it speeds up. Do a cutback and it speeds up. Cutbacks are not an option, BTW. You have to do cutbacks or you leave the pocket behind. The only way I've found to slow an L41 down is to do a lot of cheap little wiggle-waggle skidding turns while you keep your weight centered or drag your paddle like you were digging potatoes. Eventually, you get used to it and get comfortable with it. Just like foiling. The first time you take off on a serious wave with a high aspect foil you think "Oh fuck, I can't control this". A few months later and you're pumping in the same size wave to keep your speed up.

One of my acquaintances in Hood River asked me last summer how to slow his foil down. He was quite serious--he felt like he was completely out of control. This morning I couldn't catch him--stretched out with a 6M wing, going upwind as fast as I know how to.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 03:27:09 AM »
SC, thanks! Nice looking wave, good for you.  Hope you get the battery, I was wondering why you were posting pics instead of videos.

PB, I wonder if it’s all L41’s or the ST?  I’m friendly with a guy in my town who has the Bruce Wayne model I should check with him.  I know he loves it and has been riding it for several years now.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 07:50:32 AM »
@ospreysup: Interesting observation of the taller rider on L41s.  Kirk is a larger surfer as well, (>6' and 210).

I am of the opinion that the TV Dinner and S5 ride differently than the ST and Simsup1.  The TVD loves to ride in the pocket.  The channel bottom and shape of the S5 (& Popdart (I have never tried a Popdart)) make the board ride differently than the ST.  I prefer the TVD and S5 for steeper waves.
AJR's Review of ST versus Popdart
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28011.msg300494.html#msg300494
"The Pd to me is the S4 nose, newer S5 grooved tail, and the ST rails.  The nose is pulled in more on the Pd but tail width is about the same at a glance. The ST has the deep V whereas the Pd is a double diamond with the grooves on the bottom. The rocker looks very similar to me and the ST seems to have a more pronounced belly nose.   I'm sure there are other differences that the trained eye could point out.

First couple of sessions were in mediocre (at best) conditions: calf to knee high, weak surf, windy and choppy. Stability was slightly less than the ST but plenty stable.  I felt the Pd wasn't made for these conditions - the ST would have been more fun but given the conditions nothing would have been a lot of fun.

The 3rd session was much better - chest high (or a bit bigger at times) at Tourmoline. The Pd needs more wave!!  Fast, loose yet not out of control, and easy to carve. The Pd didn't feel like a small skateboard on a steep hill like my S4.  I didn't feel like it took that extra half step to get back on the tail like with the ST. Maybe the narrower nose keeps me back more on the board?   It's also nice that I have the 5th box - gives me the option to add a trailer if I feel the need for more control. The Pd was loads of fun in these conditions!

I still love my ST and if I could only have one i would choose it - it's more of an all around board and just tons of fun.  The Pd is higher performance and a ton of fun if the waves are more substantial. I still need more time with the Pd to unlock its potential but it's definitely a keeper!"
Video of S5:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:41:00 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »
@ospreysup: Interesting observation of the taller rider on L41s.  Kirk is a larger surfer as well, (>6' and 210).

I am of the opinion that the TV Dinner and S5 ride differently than the ST and Simsup1.  The TVD loves to ride in the pocket.  The channel bottom and shape of the S5 (& Popdart (I have never tried a Popdart)) make the board ride differently than the ST.  I prefer the TVD and S5 for steeper waves.
AJR's Review of ST versus Popdart
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28011.msg300494.html#msg300494
"The Pd to me is the S4 nose, newer S5 grooved tail, and the ST rails.  The nose is pulled in more on the Pd but tail width is about the same at a glance. The ST has the deep V whereas the Pd is a double diamond with the grooves on the bottom. The rocker looks very similar to me and the ST seems to have a more pronounced belly nose.   I'm sure there are other differences that the trained eye could point out.

First couple of sessions were in mediocre (at best) conditions: calf to knee high, weak surf, windy and choppy. Stability was slightly less than the ST but plenty stable.  I felt the Pd wasn't made for these conditions - the ST would have been more fun but given the conditions nothing would have been a lot of fun.

The 3rd session was much better - chest high (or a bit bigger at times) at Tourmoline. The Pd needs more wave!!  Fast, loose yet not out of control, and easy to carve. The Pd didn't feel like a small skateboard on a steep hill like my S4.  I didn't feel like it took that extra half step to get back on the tail like with the ST. Maybe the narrower nose keeps me back more on the board?   It's also nice that I have the 5th box - gives me the option to add a trailer if I feel the need for more control. The Pd was loads of fun in these conditions!

I still love my ST and if I could only have one i would choose it - it's more of an all around board and just tons of fun.  The Pd is higher performance and a ton of fun if the waves are more substantial. I still need more time with the Pd to unlock its potential but it's definitely a keeper!"
Video of S5:

Thanks for that information and video.  Love the way he rides the wave down the line! 

I asked a guy I know about his Bruce Wayne and speed, his response:

Hey Ken - Yes. I felt like i was on a rocket the first time i dropped into a wave on the L41. You get used to it and learn to scrub speed at times, but you'll like the speed when you're looking to make sections, and it pumps down the face of a wave better than any board I've ride. I've also found playing around with fins can change the way the board performs...I've settled on Colin Mcphillips thrusters.
 I have 2 L41's but the one I ride predominantly is a Bruce Wayne round tail...8'4 x 29 @ 118L. I also have a Bruce Wayne swallow tail at 8'5 x 30 @ 126L.  The 8'5" has become a backup board in case something happens to the 8'4". You are more than welcome to grab it and ride it for a few weeks and see how you like it before pulling the trigger on a new one.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 02:43:21 PM »
my 35 cents (inflation):
thin is in for me
i like a 29 width max, even at as long as 8'8", certainly 8'4" or shorter -- wider not as rippable, not as tight on a bigger steep face -- wide feels "platey" -- im 6'2" 180 lbs
i go back to wider boards and dont like em
thin can be balancey on the paddleout and positioning, but worth the effort on the wave, imho

claudette was fun -- yesterday evening and at dawn today -- sleepy now -- nighty night
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 09:29:02 PM »
Nice video, that's an L41 in a nutshell though. Lots of cutbacks and wiggle-waggle, a little paddle dragging, and still he's getting out of the pocket.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 10:11:45 PM »
This has been an awesome thread, through both the comments and vids, to really shine a light on these boards.  Thanks LB and all
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM