Author Topic: Starboard/Air Rush 2m wing twitchy  (Read 2248 times)

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Starboard/Air Rush 2m wing twitchy
« on: May 08, 2021, 09:42:55 AM »
Last spring I promised myself I would have a 2m wing for those bombing spring days. Got the 2m Air Rush wing because I really like the 3m  from the same company. Nice thick comfortable handles and the wing does seem to absorb gusts as advertised.  Once  Problem is that when I took out the 2m it was super twitchy and worst of all the front handle seemed to be too far forward? Way to much pull on my front hand compared to  any of my F1 swings and the Air Rush 3m. I usually pump one lb beyond what the wing says. I’m going to try the recommended pressure today.
Anyone else have the same issue?
Cheers!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard/Air Rush 2m wing twitchy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »
You may have noticed I'm not a fan of the Air Rush wings. I haven't tried any of the small AirRush sizes, but I pretty much hate the 7m. I have a tough time thinking that there was any serious development done on that wing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
Hopefully the slightly lower pressure will help. I had a similar issue with my Slick 4m. First time out is overpowered conditions I wasn't impressed, but that was with a bit more than the recommended pressure, just because that's what I did with my Gongs. Using the right pressure in the same overpowered conditions, and it all felt much better, and like the great wing I was hoping it to be.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 11:49:28 AM »
The small sizes seem to be the challenging ones to get right. Reminds me of the early years in windsurfing. Small sails sucked.

I’ve had a bunch of little ones, that were the worst size in the quiver.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 11:57:30 AM »
True that. I tried a 2.8 Naish last year in the gorge on a day when I really needed it. It was like holding onto an excited puppy, only it didn't bite me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 08:04:42 AM »
my 3M Dart is super twitchy especially when hauling it around on the beach and out to water. I just flip it upsidedown and put it on the water in transit and it chills out. However.....once up and flying it is amazing. It brings a familiar joy of flying a 6M kite compared to a 12M. It is instantly on or off power. This will be difficult for many to appreciate at first but it just clicks and off you go. Jibes/tacks are simplified without a giant tarp to trip over. Duck jibes are way easier. I really love flying it low, waist level. I can see over the top. Jumping is different. Its more like whip tricks in kiting where you are using the board/foil to pop out instead of the wing. Great for raleys. I can't believe Greatlakes is the only other Dart frother here.

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 03:16:17 PM »
Yesterday at Floras Lake in Oregon I was loving the gusts on my 3m Starboard/Airush until I wasn’t. I could have held on but decided to force myself to use the 2m even though I don’t consider it “magic” in the way the 3m is. I had fun when it was really blowing but the minute it started to drop slightlythe wing just sucked -still. Yes I was glad that I could shoot upwind holding a tiny wing without having my arms pulled out of their sockets but most of the time I was having to concentrate on managing the wing in place of ripping backside like slashes off of small chop on my Axis 920/370 like I pretend to do. It was nice having one of Dwight’s flat bottom boards to get a running start when the gusts hit-that allowed me to pump my back foot enough to pop up (yes I still like low aspect wings!) Pumping the wing was not an option-there just isn’t any material there to “scoop” the wind like the 3m and my 6m Fone Sling. The wing is just off balance especially when hooking into my harness. I found out that I can use it almost comfortably if I move my hands down to the two middle handles and just ride downwind but geez really? I saw beginners having an easier time on 3m BRM and Dart wings than I was with the trailing edge of both of my Starboard wings flapping like crazy in monster gusts. Next year I think I’ll be getting something closer to a 2.8 that can handle nukin gusts.
Cheers!

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 06:35:27 PM »
I bought a friend's used Starboard 2.0 so as to not miss big days while waiting for my small wing of choice (2.2 BRM).  It is not a great wing but acceptable and does the job of getting me upwind, which is all I need it to do on a big day.  My biggest complaint is that my back hand wants to grab exactly between the third and fourth handles.  You might consider the 2.2 BRM or 2.4 Swing V2 or 2.5 Ensis.  (Cabrinha also makes a 2 and a 2.5 but I was told by a local retailer who sells both that the Starboard is a much better wing.)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal