Author Topic: Genration Kanga 9'6" x 33 - first impressions  (Read 6037 times)

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Genration Kanga 9'6" x 33 - first impressions
« on: June 15, 2021, 03:35:49 PM »
DHL just delivered my new Kanga.  I'm pretty stoked as I've been waiting a couple of months for it to be built and ship.  DHL had said it would be 12 days but got it here in 6, which was a nice surprise.

Unpacking was a bit of work as it was very well protected in a double layer of cardboard with bubble wrap and padding, but I was pretty motivated and got that out of the way quickly.  Then I got the fins set up in quad, called my brother, and we went for a bit of a paddle out in the breezy chop.  It was a bit different from other boards I've paddled with the stepped rails, but once you get used to it you might find it feels more stable.  The chop tends to roll over the board instead of lifting it.  When it releases off the wave it corks up a bit.  This is almost the opposite of what I'm used to but even in a short paddle out in the 15 knot wind it didn't take long to adjust to.

I'm looking forward to heading over to the West side of the Island soon to see how it surfs.  I guess this gives me time to put the traction pad and rail tape on.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Genration Kanga 9'6" x 33 - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 12:38:34 PM »
Great looking shape with a great reputation…  do share the surf report.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 07:16:11 PM »
OK, it's time for an update.  I did a bit more flat water paddling this week with my brother (don't worry, surfing happened too) and we were blown away by how this board handles tail turns on the flat water.  We're really digging the low profile rails and how the affect stability.  The sweet spot on this board is huge.  You can almost do a tumbling routine (if only we weren't old fat guys!)

Anyway, this morning we finally got our act together and the surf gods gave us a reasonable surf forecast.  12s period with a 3 ft swell.  Not bad for Tofino.  Secondary was about the same size so we knew to take the 12s with a grain of salt - at best we'd get 12s and some times we'd just have to tough it out while a few were bunched up.

So our impressions after a day of surfing?

- paddling out through the white water was an absolute dream once we nailed down the best technique for this board.  You want your weight a bit more forward than on my old Wide Point.  If you bury the tip a bit as you hit the wave, the low profile rails and some other kind of magic keep you remarkably stable.  My brother was shocked when comparing it to his 8'10" Fanatic AllWave with more old school rails.
- catching waves is very easy.  This board wants to get up and go as soon as the wave catches up to it.  It almost turns down the line by itself.  The turn radius is pretty large, but the board is so responsive to rail pressure it's a thing of beauty.
- If you are out in front of a wave and it breaks on you, the board has a tendency to correct on it's own if you aren't square to the wave.  On the WidePoint or AllWave, you'd get much more bobbing laterally and the Kanga is just so stable.
- We were too busy surfing to get photos.  Maybe one day we'll plan ahead and use our breaks to get some pics and video of each other to post.

Verdict: This is a terrific board, especially if you are old, fat and kind of lazy like us.  I can't be happier with my choice.  Many kudos to supthecreek for helping me figure out which board I wanted - he was bang on with this recommendation.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
Thanks Miker, super stoked that you are happy with your new board!  :)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 06:07:52 PM »
Congrats!  Loving my Genration as well. 

PS - is that a little home horticulture in that planter in the picture??  8)

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 03:21:59 PM »
Congrats!  Loving my Genration as well. 

PS - is that a little home horticulture in that planter in the picture??  8)

8)

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 12:30:12 PM »
Subsequent trips out to surf have only reinforced my original assessment of this board.  For me it's revolutionising how I SUP surf.

The biggest improvement this board makes is the ease with which I can paddle out through the surf.  The second is the ease with which it turns down the line - and it's overall responsiveness.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:39:44 PM by miker »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM