Author Topic: R&R of Foil tracks  (Read 2193 times)

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
R&R of Foil tracks
« on: June 14, 2021, 08:31:15 PM »
I’m totally satisfied with my Pandemic Project board. I have about 2 dozen downwinders on it now and no issues.
So I have a new project before me. I have another foilboard that I have noticed the mast has some flex in when mounted to it. Looking closer I believe it is slowly delaminating around the tracks. Sooooooo.... here is my crazy idea. I want to avoid cutting the lamination on the deck side of board. Could I #1-  Remove tracks/eps from bottom of board to underside of deck laminate (which is Carbon) and then #2- laminate carbon to underside of deck first and then drop in HD foam block with tracks. #3 laminate carbon over repair etc. ???  My concern is bonding to the existing deck lam.
Will it work? Mahalo to all the garage builders and those who professionals who share their knowledge.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: R&R of Foil tracks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 08:34:56 PM »
I think that work but I’m not sure of the value of the carbon under the deck. But worst case it’s ineffective. Shouldn’t hurt anything.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:57:12 AM »
Sure. I've done exactly that. It's tricky getting the height of the block just right. You don't need to add carbon to the existing deck lamination--you're unlikely to get much of a bond. I just routed out the EPS as close to the deck as I dared, which left about 1/4" of foam. I gave it a thin coating of epoxy and micro balloons to stiffen it up, and while it was in the gel state  I stuffed in the block with gorilla glue on the sides and epoxy on the deck side. I thought I'd done the measurement perfectly, when I fitted it dry the track block was perfectly level with the bottom, but with it all gooped up it was about 1/16" too tall. so I cut a steel plate the size of the box and stacked 250 pounds of weight on it. Getting the plate off with its edges gorilla glued to my board was fun, but I managed to do it. Pro tip--wax paper under the plate next time, dummy. I wound up with the box ( a prefabbed one) sticking up enough to catch a fingernail, but close to good. Two layers of carbon and some 4oz over that. I can see the bulge but I tell myself other people don't notice it.

For less fugly, I said screw it, and just cut the deck. I still managed to get a bulge in the handle I added, and my hot coat went to shit, but what else is new.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:05:12 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:58:02 AM »
I think you’d have better luck using Gorilla Glue to bond your divinycell block to the inside skin of the deck. That skin will not be clean and impossible to scrub clean. Gorilla glue doesn’t care about it being clean. You will have to solve the expansion issue when the glue cures.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 07:20:22 AM »
I should have mentioned I used a prefabbed block with carbon already on the track side. If you're making your own block you could easily sand the block flat. I settled for blending the edges a bit and calling it "good at 50 feet" which may be my new tagline.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
I've done it a few times now, stronger than original and water tight BUT fugly and added more weight than I would like.  Gorilla glue works great, I had trouble getting enough expansion to fill all the nooks and crannies, my repairs are pretty rough as I just want to get back out there when it's my favorite board...

The blue planet box is strong, tuttle probably adds unnecessary weight.   Guy in the UK was selling chinook boxes in a cassette.

Coleman at ride engine did a video using HD pour foam, that might work, no clue if that would cause issues with the existing deck...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 06:34:37 PM »
Pour foam is heavy stuff. I have gallons of it since I use it to custom fit race car seats. I tried it in several applications for surfboards and wound up digging it out and starting over. The stupidest one was the infamous Schnozz that I made for my Naish 14' Glide to try to get some speed out of the thing. I think my add-on nose was almost as heavy as the entire board.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 10:25:40 PM »
Thanks for all the responses! So it sounds like it would be best gorilla gluing the HD foam in without any glass. I’m gathering that any glass/carbon wouldn’t really adhere to the underside of deck glass or give any structural benefit? If that is so I will source the materials and get started next weekend.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 06:21:58 AM »
There's two ways to look at the strength of a foil board that help to inform design choices. You can look at them as a board that has enough structural integrity that you can add a set of tracks to the skin (rarely true) or you can view the track plug as the source of enough structural strength that it alone can support your weight and resist the forces applied by the foil. The board is just a floatation device attached to the plug.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal