Author Topic: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?  (Read 3807 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »
I'm in transition.  I recently got a wing foil. I had to sell two boards to pay for it so I'm down to just one SUP. I'm hoping to SUP surf on clean days, wing foil when it's windy, and possibly do some SUP foiling as well. I've heard that foiling can mess with your SUP surfing ability so we will see how that goes.

Two beginner sessions in on the foil and now the wind has died with no wind in the forecast. Very little surf to speak of either. For times like this, I have an electric skateboard as backup.
Naish S26 Hover GS  6'4 X 31"  125L / Axis BSC 1060 / Duotone Unit 5m
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 175lbs - 63yo

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 09:55:47 AM »
I'm in transition.  I recently got a wing foil. I had to sell two boards to pay for it so I'm down to just one SUP. I'm hoping to SUP surf on clean days, wing foil when it's windy, and possibly do some SUP foiling as well. I've heard that foiling can mess with your SUP surfing ability so we will see how that goes.

Two beginner sessions in on the foil and now the wind has died with no wind in the forecast. Very little surf to speak of either. For times like this, I have an electric skateboard as backup.

Foiling absolutely messed with my SUP surf ability, just because of the different volume distribution on the board, the muscle memory taking off on a foil, etc. Of course, I pretty much went full-on foil and maybe SUP surfed 5 times out of 100 sessions in the last year.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 01:00:51 PM »
I have read that too, that wing foiling will mess up SUP surfing, and I have been waiting to see but I haven't felt it yet and been foiling for over a year and a half.  Maybe windsurfing background had something to do with it .

It's possible SUP foiling will mess up my SUP surfing, but won't try SUP foiling until this winter.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
L41 Bruce Wayne 810
Jimmy Lewis Flying V foil SUP 611
Fanatic Sky SUP foil SUP 66
Coreban Rocket 10'6"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal