Author Topic: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?  (Read 12865 times)

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »
I SUP surf most of the time, along with a handful of friends. Overall as a group I would say we are intermediate skill level. We all pretty much began as prone surfers and added SUP in the past few years. Love the long rides and higher wave count. If it gets big enough or the conditions cause us to feel too far out of our comfort zone we switch back to prone.
I lurk around here almost daily, just don't post very often. Check seabreeze frequently as well. I have been thinking the posts in here have slowed some also. I really enjoy reading these forums and appreciate all the knowledge and information you all share. It has helped me tremendously. I guess I should post more often & ask more questions. There is still a lot more for me to learn.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »
SUP surfed this morning with pro Daniel Hughes. I see him now and then. I see a studly looking young man with long hair standing in the lineup holding a paddle but no board. When I paddle out I can then see his board 2 1/2 feet below the surface and he's standing on it. Of course just ripping it up. He swapped a friend of his who was surfing on a 9' prone longboard. He was able to stand on it and paddle it around in the lineup 3 feet under water! It was hard for him to catch a wave because the long board shape didn't want to surface. He finally catch one deep and just shredded that long board up. Super nice kid.
We have a good swell building right now and the south wind had backed off this morning. I caught a ton of good waves:) Took a nap..  8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 08:54:26 PM »
As to, “does anyone just stand up paddle” the answer, and I don’t mean this in a demeaning way I promise, but yes. Tons of people own inflatables and paddle in lakes and rivers all over the world. If you watch a YouTube video from FL you will see SUPs in the background all the time and every large boat in every marina has 2 on board.

It’s just not the high level paddling that you hear guys doing on here and that used to be popular. But SUP in numbers is probably bigger than ever. It’s just not an enthusiast sport now, it’s more of a casual thing. But I can’t imagine that twice as many people aren’t paddling this weekend than were in 2012. Their boards are just cheaper now and they aren’t dropping in at Sunset.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2021, 08:01:01 AM »
We're seeing fewer, but more experienced, stand-ups in our local lineups.   (Subject to change as the water warms up.) ;D

Also, fewer day-rentals in our area will allow renters to take their boards into the ocean.

What seems to be trending in our lineups are soft tops, Wavestorms, Wave Bandits, etc.  Thanks  to JOB and Ben Gravy, these are no longer a definitive sign of the kook. 

supthecreek

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 02:12:24 AM »
Alive and thriving on Cape Cod
Last weekend I was out with at least 25 SUPsters in one session..... thankfully yesterday, I scored perfection with only 2 out :)

Also, the stoke is still worldwide, I consult more newbies from Japan to Germany and everywhere in between....  mainly SUP surfers.
and my YouTube Channel is constantly gaining subscribers

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM »
I got out and sup surfed for the first time in about 6 months. Took the 10 year old Starboard Pocket Rocket 9'0 out in San Diego last Friday.

I was reminded after a few hours surfing that I miss it! My body was also SO SORE. I loved it.

I just got back from picking up a used  2017 14' Naish Glide GS off of Craiglist so I can paddle and surf no matter the wave size.

Once I lose a few lbs my Infinity Blurr 8'5x121l may work well again. Yes! I'm sup surfing!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »
I still only SUP surf, and I've gotten into designing my own surf SUPs which keeps me extra stoked.  I still prone surf quite a bit too. 

When I load my car to go surf, I usually put in a surf SUP and a surfboard, and use the one most apt for the conditions.

I surf the most crowded beach break in los angeles, so having a surf SUP is a distinct advantage in catching waves. 
Sustainable Surf

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2021, 05:28:30 AM »
I just so this on Facebook and it looks so fun.  Its no longer new but it is still a beautiful sport.

https://fb.watch/6lxfxGYQP6/

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2021, 07:13:28 PM »
I picked up a couple of used boards over the winter ( 10ft style & 8'8" hokua). Also have some friends wanting to try and I sometimes have to bring a spare board for one of them. Loading the car and being able to lock them up is getting to be a task. If I could go as often as I would like to I would want to find a van or something. Right now I am still working more than I want and surfing less than I want.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2021, 03:36:13 AM »
I am, sort of. I'm still at the beginner stage.

I'm sure foiling is great but I'll stick with Sup surfing when winds are low and kite surfing when the wind turns up.

For me the benefit of SUP surfing is speed and simplicity. Change to wet suit, pull board out of bag, go!! Everything else has set up time, which basically makes sessions awkward for me.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2021, 06:09:01 AM »
I only SUP surf. Though not as much as I used to. Has nothing to do with foils, just a more fucked up head....but I may try it when I visit brother Bill later this month. I'm more interested in getting a wing. Good surf is rare but we have a lot of sloppy onshore days. My daughter has an old Starboard cruiser with the drop down dagger board. If I like the wing I'll probably buy it from her.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2021, 08:23:29 AM »
I've been resisting the foil temptation and still having a blast SUP surfing. As long as you're having fun!

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2021, 06:28:06 PM »
had some sweet overhead + surf past two mornings here south shore oahu
plenty of thrills for all

sup-n-skirts

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »
I'm mostly a flat water paddler but I've started SUP surfing a little bit over in Santa Cruz and Pacifica and other than being really bad at it because I've never really surfed before... Its been a LOT of fun. So far my goals have been getting better stability in the ocean and not pissing off the locals, LOL.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2021, 09:38:09 AM »
I pretty much am and always have been flatwater only. I finally gave it (SUP surfing) a shot a few years ago but it was ugly lol. I'm sure if I put in the time with it I'd get better but I just don't feel like dealing with the higher volume of board and paddle in hand for surfing. I'm actually looking into getting into mat surfing but that's a whole learning curve unto itself. For SUP I'll stick with flatwater.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM