Author Topic: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?  (Read 12930 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone just SUP Surfing anymore?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 08:38:41 PM »
Creek if I had those empty waves I’d SUS more too!,

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 02:30:56 AM »
Yes. I still enjoy it and will continue as long as I am able.  It’s funny I started prone surfing again after around 8 years or so layoff and while it’s a lot of fun and challenging, I have realized while I like sup surfing so much.  I can get into position much quicker, I can move away from a crowd, surf all types of conditions and tides and I get a ton more waves.

While I am intrigued by foiling at this point it’s probably something I won’t do.  Sup or prone foiling is not ideal where I live due to the short beach break type waves and I don’t really want to invest the time and money to see what I might be missing.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 05:35:24 AM »
Yup. I got out the old Foote in SoCal last winter and had a good time with it. If conditions permit I'd rather surf foil, and if there's enough wind I'm wingfoiling, but I'm able to go back to a SUP surfboard without screwing up foiling, and vice versa. When I first started surf foiling I found it was absolutely incompatible with surfing, but I'm far along enough now to be able to switch off with minimal adjustment. My SUP surfing isn't at the level it was before I started doing all this foil stuff, but it's in the ballpark and I'm not an embarrassment in a lineup--or at least no more than usual.

Cowboy nailed it, there's not much point in writing about SUP surfing or downwinding or even just going for a paddle. Been there, done that about 24,620 times.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:39:05 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 07:03:51 AM »
Yes I still stand up paddle surf (WHEN THE FOILING SUCKS).

Love having my foil, wing dings and my stand up paddle board all in my rig.

I go our dawn patrol, foil if I can, if thats not working I stand up surf, If that is not working because of the wind, I try to wing ding.

There is another thread somewhere in here where I go on and on about how foiling helps my stand up surfing. I still truly believe that foiling helps your surfing and surfing helps your foiling.

Its good to get off balance on your standie from time to time to kedep yourself in check.
-red

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 07:28:29 AM »
I started SUS at the age of 50, 7 year ago. I too will do it as long as the body will let me. There are many things that I love about SUP surfing but right near the top is I learn something new every time out. While I don't consider myself a beginner by any stretch, I do feel like I have a tremendous amount of growing left in my surfing. I am in a race to develop those skills  before my body not physically allowing me to.

After a run on some longer performance boards, I am currently surfing only smaller (under 9 feet) Simmons shapes. I am still dialing in my  new L41ST ( I should probably do a review) but it is a very different world of surfing. If you would have told me  a year ago at 245 pounds I would be on an 8'10  I would have laughed my ass off. I don't know what will come next but I am fairly certain it will be SUS. Not sure I would want to learn to foil while I am so far from where I think I can go as a SUP surfer.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 11:17:19 AM »
SUP surfed Friday and had a great session. Dawn patrol, shoulder high, no wind, glassy, air temp 70 deg, water temp 65 deg, just me and 2 other prone guys out. I surfed from 6:15 am till 11:am and I was beat. A lot of waves 8) Wouldn't want to do anything else.

Still love my L41 8'8 ST. Wouldn't want to surf any other board. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 02:22:27 PM »
Same here still SUS, switch between short sup and longboard sup.  I'm trying to learn sup foiling so that things might change.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 06:19:56 PM »
Yup, an L41 definitely shoves you forward in progression. Until I started foiling I've never gone that fast on any kind of surfboard before, never ripped the top off a wave or outran the the shoulder and had to do cutback after cutback just to stay in the power. I get the same kind of feeling from foiling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 05:45:04 AM »
Does anyone, but me, still Stand Up Paddle ?
Old fugger who just likes to fish

supthecreek

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 06:08:07 AM »
Does anyone, but me, still Stand Up Paddle ?

My flat-water paddling has always been for pure enjoyment....  and I can't imagine my life without it!    :)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 07:43:03 AM »
I SUS from about 2013 to 2018 continuous, but it sort of drug me back into the surf world and I find myself mostly prone surfing now. The last time I SUS was in 2019 in Maui. I will probably SUS this summer a few days.

My surf time has been limited this past year due to my kids' interests. My youngest daughter is getting into tournament golf and it just sucks a lot of time. The simplicity of the equipment is what I like about prone surfing. I have migrated back towards mid lengths (7-2 to 7-6) just because I can throw one inside my truck cab, and most of my surfing is done before and after business meetings near the coast. My favorite is HPLB, just because they are easy to catch waves on and still fun to ride.
Make paddleboarding great again!

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
I came late to the party.  Just before the foil revolution on the site (maybe 3.5 years ago). Standupzone saved me countless hours of trial and error, and helped me to progress/choose a board/surf safely and even made a few aquaintances.  AND surfcowboy, for sure this site is an incredible how-to resource with so much advice. I am still committed to sup surfing and still check this site regularly.

But it is true, the maturity of the sport is evident. Not as many people making new contributions to the sport -- perhaps. because things are more locked down. Even in the videos of the pros you see this. Mo Freitas used to have the most excellent surf videos, as did Kai Lenny and so many other surfers. The Paddlewoo podcasts ended. At this point it leans more to being older guy sport; and supthecreek is leading the way there, and we need some more adventures in sup surfing to keep the progression going!

Seabreeze seems a bit more active at this point, and I go to SupBoarder Pro for their reviews of new equipment and technique vids. But beyond that, there is not much activity on the internet in what seems to be quite a healthy, if not niche, sport.

also, my apt. in Brooklyn, NY keeps me down to one board, and certainly wouldn't work with a Foil. Also, I'm kinda broke and can't afford all the craziness that wind-foiling entails.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:28:52 AM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
Never strayed. Yesterdays session from dawn patrol.
1:34 hour, 23 waves, 1.1 mile and 15 mph top speed.
I was happy.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 03:28:04 PM »
Never strayed. Yesterdays session from dawn patrol.
1:34 hour, 23 waves, 1.1 mile and 15 mph top speed.
I was happy.
Wow, that’s serious accuracy right there!  I just know I get a bunch of waves, tho I do wear a watch so I’m not late for work.  ;D
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 05:44:18 PM »
Only SUP surf. Mostly try for dawn patrols now as our beaches are crowded by late morning. Hope to follow Creek's example and keep surfing well into my 70s. Crazy good fun!

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal