Author Topic: starboard ace 12 6 2014 -shape/ stability question  (Read 4585 times)

supaddle195

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
starboard ace 12 6 2014 -shape/ stability question
« on: June 12, 2021, 02:20:35 PM »
hi all,
I took a punt on a second hand 2014 starboard ace 12 6 x 24" as wanted to get into paddling but as 2nd hand race boards are rare where I live and I took a chance on what I knew would be a narrow board, the price was to good to pass up. My regular board is a 9 4 x 33 140L blue planet funstick, I've been stand up surfing 5 or 6 years.

I have spent maybe 20/25 hrs on the ace, and my balance as improved a lot from the first day - could just about stand on it! I've had a few nice sessions in small surf and if wind/swell/current line up some nice 4-5km out and back without falling. but... its the calm days I keep falling in?? days where its essentially flat with gentle swell from the side and often I get swell rebounding from the cliffs, mix in a bit of chop and its murder. To me it feels like the board is really jittery or twitchy on those days. Its happened a few times where I can paddle no problem one direction but If I go in the opposite direction all bets are off. Paddling cross swell is a bit of a deal breaker.

So my questions are, does anyone know if the shape of the ace that year was really for much better paddlers and I just don't have the skills to use it outside of when things line up and should look for a newer board that's more stable, or is it just a case of sticking with it and those days get easier ?

Thanks!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: starboard ace 12 6 2014 -shape/ stability question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 04:24:24 PM »
That's the shape the ACE is known for. It works great in many conditions if your brain can get used to the way the board move side to side.
No primary stability to speak of but very good secondary stability. Your brain might "click" with the way it moves in time, or not.

I have a friend who uses an ace (14x27) for small bumps and some upwind but when it comes to messy stuff he is always on another board.
He loves the ACE though. Yours is more challenging for sure, especially in the conditions you described.
in progress...

supaddle195

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: starboard ace 12 6 2014 -shape/ stability question
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 08:44:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply Burchas, that helps, I do get what you mean by my brain clicking with the secondary stability, I can feel that happening a bit, depends on the day... good to know its not just my lack of skill in those conditions..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal