Author Topic: Extreme Foiling when #TooSmallToFoil then Go Foil  (Read 5831 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Extreme Foiling when #TooSmallToFoil then Go Foil
« on: June 11, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »
I am currently on the US East Coast, Connecticut, and surf Foil when possible. 

Things have been FLAT, FLAT, FLAT.  UNTIL last weekend.  I showed up on Saturday and there were 6 Foilers at the local spot in Rhode Island.  2 of us on SUP's and 4 prone guys.  It was a refreshing 4 to (maybe) 6 feet.  I was riding my Go Foil GL210.

I started surf foiling here 3 years ago and was regularly the only foiler out.  There was one other person foiling in 2018 Paul M. 

The next day I paddle out and the size was down.  3 to 4.5 feet but with regularity.  You can't beat 3.5 feet at 5 seconds.  Again riding the GL 210.  On a Sunday in New England and I am the ONLY foiler with 3 longboarders.     

The next day it gets smaller.  I put on the GoFoil M280.  GoFoils largest wing.  Before I know it I am foiling and foiling and foiling and flying every day.  No matter how small.  2 feet @ 4 seconds.  BRING IT!

If there is ANY whitewater, visible at a distance, I know I can get up and FLY.  Set waves on Wednesday were shin to knee high. 

And yet I am hooting as I takeoff on nothing and rip down the line.  TOO MUCH FUN!!!!!!   

Conditions look like this.  I am 100% alone in these conditions.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 03:01:59 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Foiling when #TooSmallToFoil then Go Foil
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 02:18:40 PM »
At home in California I surf alone because it's too big, or too windy, or just too Dentonian nasty. 

Now I am surfing alone because PonoBill sent me a GoFoil M280 and this wing ROCKS!!!!!  Thank you PonoBill  ;D

People used to say the M280 was too slow, it doesn't turn . . . hogwash.  When the Buoys are 2 feet @ 4 seconds this is the foil you want.

I am riding it with the FLAT 18" Narrow tail with 1 credit card chip shim.  The conditions above were delivering 200 yard rides up to 12 mph flying for 40 seconds.  Adrenaline bonk from lake-like waves.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:32:23 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:54:33 PM »
Check out this forecast.  By Saturday, when it hits 2 - 3 feet I think my head will explode!  I am going to have to man up and wear an impact vest.

Here was a flight on 6/9/21 'Shin to Knee'.  I was feeling aggressive and pumped back out to smack the face for a cutback.  45 seconds and near 200 yards at a blistering 9.7 mph.

Fastest wave that day was 13.5 mph.  The biggest risk was hitting bottom taking it too far.   
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:59:44 PM by Beasho »

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 04:49:00 PM »
Pretty jealous that you have small swell.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »
Beasho - that M280 usage in shin to knee has me thinking - we have that a lot down here too in inlets. Where there's a little bump barely rideable on the Maliko, but long, long rides if you can get going. Second - can you PM me that location, I have a good friend that lives in CT and is into SUP foiling/winging, but I think he's going to the wrong spot constantly based on feedback.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »
I used to think I needed the biggest wing possible to ride really small surf.  I've been riding the Kujira 1210, which is quite a small foil and sometimes the GF NL190 in very small surf.  With the SUP, I can get the paddle power to drop into the wave and immediately turn across the face to generate speed.   The only limit I'm finding is when the waves get too small, it is too shallow where the wave stands up.    When it is just barely deep enough, I call it "drydocking" - the foil ends up resting on the sand as the water sucks out, then just as the wave comes I break loose and give'er one good paddle stroke. Kind of fun, but is probably putting unreasonable stress on the mast and foilboxes.

I rode the NL220 on the same really small day as the 1210, and was surprised to find the tiny sized 1210 works significantly better in the small gutless stuff.  Yeah, getting it out of the water is much harder - but once you get it out of the water and get some speed of water flowing across the foil, it has so much lower drag that you can maintain in the tiniest and mellowest of swell.  Bonus is that it is so much more fun to ride if you're into turns.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 05:17:21 AM »
Agree with Jon, trade lift for speed. I had 280 and it was a beast to paddle it into waves. I replaced it with 240 and it was night and day difference.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 07:26:03 AM »
Cool, yeah building a quiver it seems. I may try and sell the Maliko and try the GL240 down the road for my low end.

Still debating going smaller on the SUP, but.....right now I'm going to try and get some time in with the GL210 then decide.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 07:32:13 AM »
Do you pay attention to the tides? In my area ebbing tide really sucks for foiling but flowing tide seems to give boost to even the smallest of the waves.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 05:08:00 PM »
Do you pay attention to the tides? In my area ebbing tide really sucks for foiling but flowing tide seems to give boost to even the smallest of the waves.

Of course, depends on the spot, so as a rule - incoming tide is good for beachbreaks. Inlets are really the best for foiling here, and they generally like outgoing, especially as it's getting to low. Around high tide it's either really messy or just too much water to break, outgoing also acts like a escalator to take you back out after a long foil in. It's all seasonal too, but that's the general flow.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 04:48:02 PM »
When it is just barely deep enough, I call it "drydocking" - the foil ends up resting on the sand as the water sucks out, then just as the wave comes I break loose and give'er one good paddle stroke. Kind of fun, but is probably putting unreasonable stress on the mast and foilboxes.

Ha, good name for it...I've done that here surf foiling. And yes, I think it's hard on the foil, especially in our rocky area. 

GL240: I've not yet used it in surf, but winging it is pretty fun on its day.  Gets up in near nothing and pumps like crazy.  It is noticeably slower and less agile than my NL160 though, think minivan vs sports car.  I only use it when it is stupid light. Good one to have in the quiver for sure.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »
The madness continues in the East Coast.

Foilers dream.  Some of the other foil amigos.  And my daughter Ruby digging hard.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »
Looks like Hawaii.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »
Do people still SUP - Yes!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »
This is Paul.  1st to foil Rhode Island.

I started foiling with him 3 years ago in 2018.  He says

"I have been surfing here for 48 years, windsurfing, kiting, foiling and now wingsurfing.  If anybody does something wrong I hear about it.  And these prone foilers are starting to mess things up.  It's not good.

It's as if there has been a disturbance in the Force."   . . . . More on this later.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 10:36:47 AM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal