Author Topic: SIC Okeanos reviews?  (Read 2062 times)

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
SIC Okeanos reviews?
« on: June 08, 2021, 05:07:12 AM »
Would love some feedback on the Okeanos. I currently paddle a 14x26 BIC Tracer WS. I am looking for better performance in chop and open water. I don't race, but paddle 5x/week for fitness and do some overnight trips.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Okeanos reviews?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »
I owned an Okeanos for a brief moment, and liked it a lot. But I'm not sure it will give you a performance improvement over the BIC.

The BIC has a decent nose shape for open water, and its 26" wide. The Okeanos in 14' puts you at a 28" wide board. I don't think you would feel any improvement in performance.  The Okeanos would be better for overnight trips tho' I imagine, if that is impt in your figuring. 

I bought the 11' x 28" version of the Okeanos for a (petite) family member in an attempt to get her a stable board and stoke the stoke. That experiment didn't work out. But I did enjoy the board while it was around. It was fast for its length, and stable, and I'm a fan of the SIC nose which the Okeanos pretty much has.   

Consider the SIC RS at 14' x 26". I did a lot of testing and am super happy with mine. It handles anything, water-wise, and the speed is limited only by me.  But then again I'd rather take an Okeanos overnighting, with its flat foredeck.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 11:23:15 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:14:20 PM »
That was sold review. Singsingdog is lucky.
New England Is My Playground

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 03:48:06 PM »
The Okeanos is available in 14 x 26” wide as well as the 28”. I have seen a 26” in a shop here in BC. The Okeanos carries a bit more width through to the tail than the Bic, so it should be a bit more stable.

If you are considering the RS, then you might want to add the Atlantis into the mix for open water paddling in all conditions. Reportedly very stable with the dug out and I dont see why it wouldn't be good for distance touring. Add extra tie downs and you got an expedition board. The DF construction with the Okeanos is a fair bit heavier but will be more durable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal