Author Topic: Foil placement for Starboard Carbon 6'6 SUP  (Read 2033 times)

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Foil placement for Starboard Carbon 6'6 SUP
« on: June 07, 2021, 08:06:07 PM »
I just picked this up. 

I was using a Naish 2450 on the board.  It just seems off. Is it the foil?  It paddles in then lifts uncontrollably and bucks me off.

I can usually foil fine but I cannot seem to figure this one out.  Is the foil too big?  Do I need to move it back in the box?

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foil placement for Starboard Carbon 6'6 SUP
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 09:35:36 PM »
I setup my foils in this order:

-Foil position:
I put it first because IMHO it is the key to a balanced setup
Try this https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/blogs/news/foil-board-setup-tips-board-foil-foil-placement-fo/

-Mast angle: Shimming the mast plate has a huge effect on takeoff behaviour.
Different boards have different rocker at the foil mast plate,this will compensate those diffs.
If using the foil position from the above method makes the initial lift too sudden try shimming the front of the mast plate. A 3mm shim will be very noticeable and still allow you to use the same screws.

-Stab shim: shimming stab so it has less down angle can pacify the initial lift a bit.It will also make the foil faster and more sensitive (and demanding) to fore-aft weight shifts.I see stab angle and size more like fine tuning and "feel" adjustment.Using it to compensate for bad foil position or mast angle will not get the best results in my experience.

PS: Don't know your weight but 2450 is very big for wave riding.If it is a rounded,thick foil even more so.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 09:41:32 PM by Dontsink »

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks. 

I am about 240. 

I think the foil is too big.

Aaron SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 02:43:57 AM »
I had this board for one year.      Sold it now, but was a great board.

I ran an Axis foil in it.    I had it about 1cm back from the middle of the track boxes. 

If I ran the foil any further forward I didn’t like it, it would also become uncontrollable.     

Aaron

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal