Author Topic: Which GoFoil wing  (Read 2521 times)

matanshapira

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Which GoFoil wing
« on: June 04, 2021, 06:54:26 AM »
I'm helping a friend with upgrading his SUP setup:
70 Kg
Experienced SUPfoiler, riding reef and beach brakes easily but cannot pump back
Riding IWA on a minimal SUP
Waves are 2-4ft gutless waves (Mediterranean sea, usually 7 sec period, sometimes 6 and 8)
Aiming at rail to rail and pumping back, extending the top end but keeping the low end

Should he go for GL/NL? single wing? 2 wing? combine with existing IWA or replace it?
Which size?

Also, is the GL/NL much easier to pump than the IWA or it's mostly about technique?

Thanks

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which GoFoil wing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »
I dont want to get ahead of smarter folks here but here is my two cents.

Yes the NL and GL will be easier to pump. Its a different kind of pump.

At his weight and if he can already foil surf and try to pump. I would recommend the GL180 or NL160. I only have the IWA/M2xx, and GL210, but that is what I would recommend for him.

I think if he really wanted to send it he could do the NL130.

Once he rides the GL or NL he will sell or hang the IWA. I am keeping my IWA because I feel like its a good wing to learn on.
-red
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:03:49 PM by red_tx »

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »
I think he'll love gl180 for the conditions you describe. I have no experience with NLs yet so can't comment on those. Yes GLs are easier to pump but if he struggles to pump Iwa- Gl will not make him a better pumper automatically - it is more technique dependent imho. Once he gets the hang of Gls he will likely never ride Iwa. Those feel like you have handbrake on. Also new pedestal and flip tip tail is a must with GLs.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »
Derek is about 75kgs i think and this is what the GL180 is capable of in small 2-3foot gutless waves at guardrails maui southside...GL180 is badass...i usually dont recommend people  gonstraight from the IWA or Maliko200  to the NLs because the NLs are really REALLY fast and turney and if you're not ready for it can be frustrating to control and even dangerous...But the GL180 you'll be happy with forever...

https://youtu.be/41FTmYeLEG8

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 01:38:51 PM »
Derek is about 75kgs i think and this is what the GL180 is capable of in small 2-3foot gutless waves at guardrails maui southside...GL180 is badass...i usually dont recommend people  gonstraight from the IWA or Maliko200  to the NLs because the NLs are really REALLY fast and turney and if you're not ready for it can be frustrating to control and even dangerous...But the GL180 you'll be happy with forever...

https://youtu.be/41FTmYeLEG8
Funny story wrt that video, Derek, and his talents.

So back when I was on GF riding the Iwa on an Angledfoil, I saw that video, and just had to have the GL180. So I call Karla all excited about what I saw, and ready to throw down whatever it took to get one on the way (they weren't on their website yet).

I think Karla heard the delusions of grandeur in my voice, and not wanting my expectations to out pace my abilities and that wing, she so kindly said, "Yeah, the 180 is a great wing, but you have to remember that Derek is not human when it comes to what he's able to do with it out there compared to everyone else". 

I gave a pleasant chuckle, and agreed with her...all the while my brain was telling me, "Yeah, but she's not seen you foil either".  ::)

Turns out Karla was spot on, and while the GL180 was a fun wing....it never put me in the same league as Derek (or Clinton/"steamroller" for that matter. :-[:D). 

Because with most all equipment - regardless of company - it's usually 20% arrow, and 80% archer that we're seeing out there.

You could probably pound together a couple 2x4s for front wing and fuse, with a 1x2 wood tail, all on a 2x6 mast, and Derek (and Clinton) would still foil circles around me...both figuratively and literally. Crappola.....but had her send me one anyway, and threw in the GL210 for good measure, but not necessarily good sense. :o :( ;D

It was definitely a nice upgrade from the Iwa in some respects (the added speed, glide, and pump-ability was nice), but in some respects (turning/carving especially) I still went back to the Iwa on occasions, depending on the conditions, and what I wanted to do in a particular session.

I switched brands before the NLs and newer masts came out, so I have no comparison between the two. But from my buddies who are now on the NLs, they all like them, and ride them well. Although they too have years of experience with the GF line, have worked their way up the ladder, and struggled at first making the GL to NL leap. So as have been said, going from the Iwa to the NL might be a stretch...but that's only from an outsider looking in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 01:48:11 PM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 07:35:41 PM »
Aiming at rail to rail and pumping back, extending the top end but keeping the low end.

My 2 cents is that this is at least two wings and maybe 3 or 4, or one wing that is a compromise on all of these qualities.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal