Author Topic: Outing the Spot . . . . Mavericks  (Read 2533 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Outing the Spot . . . . Mavericks
« on: May 27, 2021, 06:30:13 AM »
So I found this great spot with Huge Waves and I went and Winged it and no body is on it EVER! 

HDip gives me grief but I am outing the Wing spot called "Mavericks"

Had an adventure downwinder.  Wind was blowing Northwest 10 - 25.  Took my Bike to the point #1 and launched a 5.0.  Was powered pretty quickly and winged in and around Mavericks and Blackhand reefs.  Out to the Green can. 

Buoys were 13feet @ 12 seconds aka NOT small.  I am still figuring things out so riding waves regular foot on port was very SPICY.  Not my strong side I am goofy foot.  Then I raced down the Jetty wall (that single run was 1.6 miles), downwinded to Miramar beach and walked home to my house. 

I doubt this will become a popular attraction but there was plenty of space.  Having surfed this point for 10+ years, 1,000's of times I have never seen the water as deep blue as it was by the Green can.  I was all alone it was spooky and fun.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:34:32 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Outing the Spot
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 06:33:58 AM »
When I started SUP surfing this point, Pillar Point, I thought everyone would follow.  But as Clay has said "You can have it." 

There is nothing comfortable about it.  No one surfs Blackhand reef, other than me on a SUP foil board.  When it is breaking Mavericks is starting to feather or more and people go directly to Mavericks, North to surf Ocean Beach or South to Santa Cruz.  I try to drag people out there with no success.  So . . . whatever I'll enjoy it alone. 

The break looks soft but that is the view from 700 yards away on shore.  The wave will jack up and throw.  The other day I got pitched on my SUP Foil, cracked my shin with the foil and drew some blood through my wetsuit.  On a legit Mavericks day I was once paddling past Blackhand and was 'safe' in deep water.  Then this rogue wave breaks 100 yards outside of me "What!"  I got plowed and my iWatch recorded a 70 wave yard ride backwards.  I was getting dragged underwater with 2 flotation vests.   

I still have less than 40 sessions on the wing and could only take so much of the waves at Blackhand before my nerves were rattled.  Jeff Clark got run over there 2 months earlier and had his foil ripped from the board.  So I raced for safety downwind of the Jetty.  Then it was easy listening radio doing S-Turns all the way home.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:48:56 AM by Beasho »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Outing the Spot . . . . Mavericks
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:48:09 AM »
Sounds a little scary. I'd love to see some video.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Outing the Spot . . . . Mave
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 08:34:47 PM »
If Johhny Heineken isn’t riding there, I’m not coming.

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 05:33:58 AM »
 :o

13 @ 12? I'll watch from the jetski.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
Sounds a little scary. I'd love to see some video.

Since you asked.  Here is some video without the wing on a Glassy day.  Riding from inside Mavericks to and through Blackhand reef:

. . . . Buoys were 11 feet at 14 seconds. Wind finally dropped. I paddled out at Sunset to Mavericks.

Was feeling confident then I got CLIPPED and blown up!!!!! That shaved my confidence back a bit.

Took an hour and then caught this FLAMING BAZOOKA. Foiled for 500 yards. OMG! OMG! OMG!

From the GoPro perspective anything that breaks the horizon is over my head ~ 6 feet. I am flying full tilt on a 2 foot mast. Call it the top 8 feet making the drop on what was minimum 15 foot face.

GoPro MAX, GoFoil GL140 on a 7' 4" Big Wave Gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBXWa3_nK8
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 11:58:42 AM by Beasho »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 12:29:52 PM »
Awesome ride. The GoPro perspective does make it look mild but I could tell by your excitement that it was a big wave.    8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal